Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Wizard of Oz HD Event question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wizard of Oz HD Event question
Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2009 02:06 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so I think I already know the answer to this. Can someone please confirm whether the highly-touted "Wizard of Oz HD Event"
on September 23 is going to be shown on an actual digital cinema projector or just the pre-show projector like most Fathom events? Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-10-2009 01:04 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the theatre. Most Fathom affiliates will play it off the DCN client projector.

Our theatre does not subscribe to NCMs advertising arm, and has no DCN client projector. When we hold fathom events, we run it into a Barco ACS-2048 and then into our d-cinema projector. Having worked with the standard DCN set up, I can assure you that finding a theatre with a d-cinema projector will be worth your time.

Unfortunately, we will not be running this event. But we did run Wizard of Oz in full height 1.33 35mm changeover last year.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-10-2009 01:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh oh, they're getting to you Mike! You used an unnecessary word "changeover" in your description as if that somehow means a better end presentation to the viewer. [Moon]

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2009 01:58 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I like to see a changeover show now and again. I like to see if I can even tell that they're running changeovers. So far, the answer has been 'no', but it does increase my enjoyment.

Joe, do you know if NCM's stream is even 2k? My old theater used a 1.2k DLP for Fathom events that was better and brighter than the standard preshow DLPs in the rest of the auditoriums. Now, that DLP did do the preshow in that auditorium, but it was better than the standard preshow unit, though not as good as a real 2k DCinema projector.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-10-2009 07:26 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NCM has instructed us to use 1080i on our satellite receiver, so we can assume it is at least that high. Our DP100 is not HDCP compliant, so I don't know if they're coming in at 1080p.

Brad, you and I both know that the changeover/platter argument is bullshit, however, as a changeover booth, the studio provides us access to higher quality prints. Therefore the inclusion of the word "changeover" in my description is still relevant.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2009 09:55 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> NCM has instructed us to use 1080i on our satellite receiver

So it does not matter what the resolution of the theatre's projector, all you are getting is consumer quality HD. Since I can wait one more week and buy the Blu-Ray, I can't "fathom" why anyone would pay money to see this in a theatre.

All puns aside, this is not good for the exhibition industry. The public does not know or care about the difference between 2/4K D-Cinema and consumer grade digital HDTV. What they come away with is that digital can look quite mediocre on the big screen, and theatres show the same quality as Blu-Ray at home.

Actually, watching it at home, I can watch it in 1080p!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-11-2009 11:00 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
So it does not matter what the resolution of the theatre's projector, all you are getting is consumer quality HD.
Wasn't the first clue that it was only consumer-quality HD the fact that the event has been advertised as being "in HD"? That was my thought, which is also why I didn't give a crap (considering I've seen most of it in better than HD from the re-release a while back).

Dylan Houdeshell
Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2009 12:01 AM      Profile for Dylan Houdeshell   Email Dylan Houdeshell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way it will be done here is it will be played off of our pre-show projector. Our projector, of course, plays in HD. Usually non-live events will come on automatically just like the pre show will (if you have NCM doing your pre-show adds).

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 09-17-2009 09:56 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People just attach "HD" to things to make people want to buy them. I saw a commercial for HD sun glasees on TV the other day for $15.00.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2009 10:14 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I went to a theatre for this and it played on the crappy advertising projector, I would be SCREAMING at the manager and demanding my money back. I would be really pissed.

The fastest way to quickly destroy the special events business is to present them in a crappy manner. I don't care when the ads are on if it looks like it's through a screen door with bad resolution, dimmed contrast and bad color, but I definitely wouldn't want to see any movie that way. I went to see Inglorius Basterds (on 35mm film) last night, but during the preshow, there was something wrong with the ad projector and it was generating these weird red lines in dark areas. They played a trailer for the Wizard of Oz and it looked really bad, but I just assumed it looked that way because it was coming off of the ad projector.

The film has been playing for several weeks, but I have to say that the print looked really, really good. Especially in many close-ups, skin tones were perfect and extremely sharp. No dust and no scratches. There was one bad lab splice. But generally, film done right and all that.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-21-2009 04:24 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bump.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-21-2009 04:27 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crap! Sorry about that other thread I started.

So if NCM were to be completely truthful, they would advertise something like:

"First time Wizard of Oz has been down-rez'd from film quality to home HDTV quality, and we're charging more for it!"

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2009 04:45 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think our local Cinemark runs these Fathom events on a barely HD LCD projector.

Selznick is spinning in his grave right now.

I hope this event proves disastrous, as legions of fans will go and witness how bad [dlp] is in this capacity. If it was 2k, I'd probably go.

AJG

Warren Dewey
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2009 04:51 PM      Profile for Warren Dewey   Author's Homepage   Email Warren Dewey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ran WB's IB Tech OZ (1.33, and um, er uh, changeover) back in July and were told it was being pulled after that date. So this is why. I wonder if that 35mm print will be back in circulation anytime soon.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2009 10:05 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would pay $10/ticket to take my daughter to see The Wizard of Oz in 35mm.

I wouldn't watch this fathom crap for free.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: