Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Technicolor Grand

Author Topic: Technicolor Grand
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2009 11:58 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering around Bethlehem Pennsylvania a few weeks ago, and I discovered that Technicolor has branched out into the salon and spa business, maybe anticipating the end of film.

-

On the other hand, this business may just be ripping off Technicolor's trade mark.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-08-2009 12:16 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The latter is far more likely. Many small business owners have little knowledge about the consequences of trademark infringement. Or they just do the infringing anyway, gambling they won't get busted for it.

Even people who should know better will take serious risks. I've heard a lot of copyrighted music and seen well known concepts from national ads used in local TV commercials. A stock music library is cheaper than the costs of getting sued for copyright infringement.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2009 07:31 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is done under the assumption that the trademark owners will never notice the offender, being so far away.
Far more probable in the days before The Internet.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2009 02:03 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
In Philly we have the "Snow White Diner" and "Bambi Cleaners". Both have the Disney characters incorporated into their signage.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-09-2009 03:44 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our neighbor's daughter used to work at Technicolor Spa several years ago. I think they are actually registered with the trademark and patent office. So either they got permission, or the trademark office figured they could not possibly be confused with the film lab.

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2009 08:26 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife went to the EastmanColor spa in Rochester NY. She went in a Blonde but came out a REDHEAD! [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-12-2009 08:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a really long way to go for her to get your hair done Fred!!! She could have had it done locally at Astrocolor and saved lots o gas... She might consider the YCM they do at Astro.

Mark

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-12-2009 08:34 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Tommassello
In Philly we have the "Snow White Diner" and "Bambi Cleaners". Both have the Disney characters incorporated into their signage.
Disney has closed down daycare centers and old folks homes for less. Don't mess with the mouse.

Though the characters Bambi and Snow White are not Disney creations, so they can keep the names if they use something other than Disney charaters.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-12-2009 09:21 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One story I like to tell about Disney and its army of attorneys is the fellow in some mid-west state like Ohio and how he hand painted a bunch of Disney cartoon characters onto his barn for his kids' amusement. Mind you, this was his own personal barn on his own property. Not even in plain view of any nearby highway. Nevertheless, Disney's attorneys found out about the barn and forced the guy paint over all the characters or face being financially annihilated in extended litigation for the amusement of the "Mouse House."

Disney's attorneys have no sense of humor and have no reputation of looking the other way to let certain, very harmless things slide. So if you have a new baby nursery decked out in hand painted Disney characters TELL NO ONE ABOUT IT. I'm very serious about that point.

Warner Bros. is another company known for not fooling around when it comes to protecting some of its intellectual properties. My company gets requests from time to time to stick a big copy of Bugs Bunny on a person's personal vehicle. We turn away 100% of these kinds of requests. Go to a flea market for that sort of thing. Find the fly by night dude's booth who has a vinyl cutter and/or printer (along with a bunch of counterfeit baseball cards and a box of 1 week old puppies).

I'll also throw out a "what what" to Harley-Davidson. Don't screw around with the Harley logo unless you have legit permission to do it. They sue plenty of people for trademark infringement. Flea market dude with vinyl cutter could get caught in a FBI sweep after inadvertently wandering into the gun sights of Harley-Davidson.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-13-2009 12:04 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find the H-D thing surprising, since there are so many tattoo shops out there that put the logo everywhere.

-  -  -  -

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-13-2009 12:56 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just try opening a booth at a flea market selling vinyl cut window sticker decals of the Harley Davidson logo and other such similar merchandise. Stay at it long enough and you'll get caught up in a trademark infringement sweep.

I have legitimately designed Harley-Davidson dealership signs and other related promotional items and received quite a bit of stern warning about what I could and could not do with their vector-based art files. Someone asks me for a big H-D logo for their pickup window? I'm telling them to call the H-D company for that instead. The company scares me more than just a little, especially since they know who I am.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2009 01:22 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before Turner was acquired by Time Warner, Disney went after a day care center in Florida that had Disney characters adorning their interior and exterior walls. After this was publicized, Hanna-Barbera offered to, and was given permission by the day care center, to paint over the day care's walls and adorn said walls with Fred Flintstone, Yogi Bear and other H.B. Characters for no charge. I suspect the children liked these characters better anyway, as this was before The Little Mermaid, Beauty and The Beast and The Lion King.
This may have been before Hanna Barbera was bought by Ted Turner, but probably sometime after...as WTBS was a favorite station of Floridians with cable at that time.
I don't see this happening now.
A local loan company used the top-hatted Monopoly guy from the board game on their exterior sign but later had to have it altered after Hasbro found out and contacted them.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-13-2009 10:58 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technicolor Salon and Day Spa at the US Patent and Trademark office

It doesn't say anything about it being rejected or opposed (in fact, that it's been in use since 1996), only that it's status is "dead"... as in, not renewed?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-13-2009 02:43 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can find out what is meant by "dead" in the above here.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: