Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 3D is starting to look flat at the box office (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 3D is starting to look flat at the box office
Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2009 06:46 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2009/07/3d-starting-to-look-flat-at-the-box-office.html

quote:

As more movies play in digital 3-D, there’s evidence that audiences are becoming less interested in the ballyhooed format that many in Hollywood have predicted will stem the long-term erosion of theater attendance.

Box office data for “Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs,” which opened last Wednesday, shows that theaters with at least one screen playing the film in 3-D generated on average, 1.4x as much in ticket sales as those that only showed the picture the old fashioned 2-D way. (A breakdown by individual screens within multiplexes was not available.)

The ratio of grosses in theaters with 3-D screens to those that are 2-D only has declined significantly and fairly consistently since “My Bloody Valentine,” the first film this year to play on a mix of both, suggesting audience interest in the new format is waning.

Here’s how much higher ticket sales were for theaters with 3-D screens compared with theaters with only 2-D screens on the opening weekends for the five major releases so far this year (the numbers are based on studio estimates, as reported by The Times, Boxofficemojo.com and Variety):

“My Bloody Valentine 3-D”: 6.4x
“Coraline”: 3x
“Monsters vs Aliens”: 2.1x
“Up”: 2.2x
“Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs”: 1.4x

Those figures, of course, don't fully represent the financial advantage of 3-D screens compared with 2-D screens, because many theaters feature both; 1,620 of "Ice Age's" 4,099 U.S. and Canadian locations played the film in 3-D, but 1,205 of those also played it in 2-D. Average grosses within those 1,205 probably were dragged down somewhat by their 2-D screens.

Nonetheless, as an apples-to-apples comparison, the decline in 3-D's advantage is significant and curious. It's partially due, no doubt, to the rising number of theaters equipped with 3-D screens. January's "My Bloody Valentine" was in 1,033 of them. By the time "Monsters vs. Aliens" came out in March, there were 1,550. "Ice Age" was on 1,620.

The more theaters with 3-D screens there are in a given region, the more they may split audiences interested in the technology and thus lower their average gross.

It's also possible that as 3-D releases increase in frequency -- "Up" came out four and a half weeks before "Ice Age," "G-Force" follows just three weeks later -- audiences become a little less enchanted by what they get for their extra money. Other upcoming releases using the technology include August's "The Final Destination," September's "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs," October's re-release of "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2," November's "A Christmas Carol" and December's "Avatar."

There's certainly no sure evidence that films are consistently doing better as a result of 3-D. While many factors affected the movie's performance, including the Fourth of July falling on a Saturday, it's notable that "Dawn of the Dinosaurs" earned less domestically in its first five days than the 2-D "Ice Age: the Meltdown," grossed its first three days in March of 2006.

And that, of course, is not counting the conviniently forgotten 3D Box office dissasters such as the Jonas Bross or Battle for Terra ($1.6m, $930 per screen) or X games 3D: the movie ($1.3m, $598 per screen).

Sony has also pulled from theatrical release The Dark Country 3D, and sent it straight to home video.

Even the current The Final Destination has had several days in this past week as number 2 in the BO behind the (2D, mind you) Inglorious Basterds.

Also we have to notice how 3D releases usually get the best locations, on the best (and most modern) screens and, because of not every screen is 3D, they do tend to be left on the premium locations for longer, and heavy $$$ put into the promotion of their 3D aspect.

And, needless to say, they charge a premium which on Imax screens can be outregaous and that pumps up the BO numbers w/o it really meaning (much) higher profits for theatres once glasses/lamps/screens etc are paid for. Like I always say: the higher the BO ticket price, the less money patrons have to spend on concessions. And we all know where the exhibition money comes from.

Once the 3D novelty wears out (when all patrons have seen 3 or 4 such films), and "every movie is in 3D" and "every theater is in 3D" ... then we'll see the true color of the Koolaid to those Hollywood's claims that 3D will bring "two, three, four, five times the profits of 2D" ...

Meanwhile, 3D can, at least temporarily, attract more patrons on locations where all the rest of the competition are 2D only, so no doubts in may pay for some.

Hmmm. I also like the points raised by this comment on the above piece:

quote:
Thoughtful article. But, I'm not sure I agree with everything stated.

You do correctly point out that the ratios can be misleading as more Digital 3D screens appear--since they can pull attendance from each other.

But the success of 3D must be measured in "overall" boxoffice across all the 3D cinemas--not by these ratios. Not anymore.

For example, the reason that MY BLOODY VALENTINE sold over six times the tickets per theater in 3D than in 2D was because the movie was really so bad that it had nothing to offer in 2D. I mean, without 3D, what would've been the point of even seeing it? It was "All old and dared again!" in terms of content.

The film's core audience quickly perceived that and went for the sensation of experiencing the visceral thrills "in depth" because that was the only attraction that title had going for it.

It makes a great case for 3D. But it makes a horrible argument that the film, MY BLOODY VALENTINE, was even a good idea to begin with.

One good point the article does make is that this "premium experience fee" of $2 to $4 extra on top of the ticket price is going to wear thin real fast with a recession-bled public. There should only be a $1 to $2 extra charge for the glasses now--period! (They cost far less than that to make now thanks to Real-D's efforts, which lowered the price of circular polarizers.)

The theaters are supposed to recoup the cost of their digital equipment from the "Digital Print Fee" scam--not by sticking even more extra charges upon the movie-going public. Especially not right now!

Why is the "Digital Print Fee" a scam? Because it's really designed (by the majors) to keep the independent distributors off the digital screens by negating the savings of not having to make 35mm prints. And it will never go away. Think about it.

A film projector is relatively inexpensive, requires little maintenance, and doesn't really become obsolete. It's imaging is as good as the quality of 35mm positive print being run through it. But a digital machine (projector, computer, whatever) that you buy on Monday--like any new digitronic technology--will be obsolete on Wednesday. It will require constant upgrading and servicing.

Just wait 'till all this new technology starts breaking-down--especially at the all digital multiplexes.

|  IP: Logged

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2009 08:58 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3D has come and gone several times over the history of film. At first it's something new, and people will go see it, just to see 3D. The newness goes away over time due to things like, a lot of the 3D films are nothing more than a bunch of the same goofy 3D gags strung together, and having to ware the 3D glasses.

Michael McGovern
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2009 10:58 PM      Profile for Michael McGovern     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everything that both you and the article have to say, but one thing I must refute is that in most theaters, the 3-D equipped auditorium is almost never the best or largest auditorium, for the simple reason that 3-D content has to play in that one specific auditorium, and with most 3-D films having runs lasting 4 or more weeks, you don't want to hold down your largest house with an old film that isn't doing business anymore. Most places I've seen have the 3-D screen in a mid-sized house, usually 200-250 seats.

In general 3-D screens still continue to outperform their 2-D versions, but it's been an increasingly narrow margin as the article says. A lot of it has to do with location, I've seen theaters in affluent areas that kill with their 3-D shows, people who can toss around money like it's going out of style simply don't care. On the other hand I've seen theaters in more urban or even impoverished areas that almost have to beg patrons to see the 3-D version, as 10 or 11 dollars for the matinee and 13 - 15 dollars for the evening is simply not affordable for a lot of people.

I can tell you that last weekend Halloween 2 killed Final Destination as far as ticket sales went, but once you include Final Destination's inflated ticket prices, it ended up grossing more.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-04-2009 11:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And once again we have this stupidness:
quote:
many in Hollywood have predicted will stem the long-term erosion of theater attendance
WHAT LONG-TERM EROSION? Given the amount of entertainment options available to people these days, coupled with the recession, the fact that we are GROWING attendance over the past couple years should be trumpeted. And 3-D has not caused that; the quality of the movies has.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-04-2009 11:36 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Familiarity breeds contempt. 3D comes around every 15-20 years and the same thing happens every time. As Bruce said, it does killer business for a few years and then people grow tired of it. A big reason is audiences just don't like wearing the glasses.

Btw, Bruce... I saw your name in "Halloween 2". I noticed a lot of video playback on that show [Wink]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-04-2009 11:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
And 3-D has not caused that; the quality of the movies has.
So the lower the quality of the movies, the more attendance grows? That is the only thing I can rationalize from that statement, as most movies sure have sucked the big one in the past few years.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-05-2009 12:24 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be the first to agree with you that the movies haven't been the greatest this year. Still, folks are coming out, so the studios must be doing something right as far as the moviegoing public is concerned.

I just don't see where the media keeps getting this "declining attendance" crap. I think they're getting their facts from data published in 2003 or something.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-05-2009 01:43 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Still, folks are coming out, so the studios must be doing something right as far as the moviegoing public is concerned.
Yeah, marketing. People enjoy getting hyped up over things that are forthcoming. With the right marketing you get people slobbering to see junk like Transformers 2.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-05-2009 02:08 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, summer hasn't been about GOOD movies for quite a while (with the rare exception of course).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-05-2009 02:26 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe television has gotten so bad that people are dying to get out and see anything.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-05-2009 04:03 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are just so many unknown variables with 3D that it's difficult to quantify whether it really is a big deal.

My Bloody Valentine and Final Destination 4 were really meant to be watched in 3D and were not worth seeing otherwise - hence the very small gross in 2D locations.

In the case of Ice Age 3, it's fairly clear that people were just not as interested as they were in the first two Ice Age movies. And this seems to apply to the 2D or 3D. While the total gross is almost equal with the second movie, I'm left to wonder how much less it would be without the 3D premium. I won't go into comparisons of the opening weekend because the second and third opened in different time frames.

What I think will be a good test for the long term viability of 3D is to see how some of the 3D only re-releases fair - starting with Toy Story and Toy Story 2 next month (and Beauty and the Beast in February). If those put up strong numbers, then there might be some hope for the longevity of 3D.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2009 06:26 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I welcome 3D as an additional entertainment option and, why not, a MODEST profit maker for both, hollywood and exhibitors.

My only objection is to the notion that 3D movies will, somehow, bring much, much, much, much (they talk 4, 5, 6, 7 times more) patrons/business/profits than 2D.

That's my objection, as that's a lie, marketing hype to get small exhibitors that don't get offered VPF to convert to digital at their own expense and to bring profit to intermediaries like RealD. Profit that, if anything, should remain with the exhibitors.

Having to pony-up $100k to be able to do 3D and thus make money for RealD and for some producers of inferior horror-products that otherwise, sans the 3D, would make considerably less ... is a lot to ask for.

People will watch good (or just plain entertaining) movies on their own, 3D or not 3D. There are a few movies that, if made "only" for the 3D or are very "spectacular" could be worth the extra $2 to be watched in 3D. But those $2 must pay for glasses, lamps, studio cuts, etc, plus if patrons have $2 less in their pocket after they leave the boxoffice they may skimp $2 at the concession stand or even just refuse to come in at all if they are a large family.

So anyway. In 2 words:

3D=yes, why not?
3D=huge profits for exhibitors? No! At least in the long run.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2009 08:51 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at 3D per screen average doesn't mean much as an exhibitor. What matters is what your gross would be if you don't have 3D and the competition does. On a lot of the 3D releases, you might as well play Gone With the Wind in reissue than Final Destination in 2D when there's a 3D date within easy driving distance.

Making the 3D investement is more about maintaining the customer base than it is having a revenue increase.

I think in the not-so-distant future, all the CGI animated stuff will get thrown out in 3D but other than the gimicky horror genre I don't think there's ever going to be a push for a bunch of live action 3D. Maybe Jurassic Park 17 or something for the novelty.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-05-2009 09:33 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
In the case of Ice Age 3, it's fairly clear that people were just not as interested as they were in the first two Ice Age movies. And this seems to apply to the 2D or 3D. While the total gross is almost equal with the second movie, I'm left to wonder how much less it would be without the 3D premium.
Who knows - it might have been MORE without 3-D. Think of how many recession-strapped parents just decided to skip the movie altogether because they didn't want to pay the premium (or, in some places, maybe there wasn't a 2-D option).

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-05-2009 10:49 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on the age and the particular child, they WON'T wear the glasses. So I could see "3D" as "Don't come here" sign. I know my 3.75-year old will not wear the glasses yet so we have to seek out the 2D options for him.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: