Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Has anyone upgraded to Snow Leopard? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Has anyone upgraded to Snow Leopard?
Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2009 09:05 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you think of Apple's new operating system? It was only released on Friday so it's been out a whole 3 days, but I've taken the plunge and so far I'm most impressed!

I loved Leopard and this is that, but quicker. Shutdown is virtually instant!

By the way, I like PCs too. I think it's OK to like all computers. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-30-2009 11:54 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard good things overall but the one big irony for me is that when Vista came out some big mac fanboys were saying "You shouldn't have to upgrade your hardware just to get the newest OS" and now we have Apple's newest OS, which incidentally drops all support for the PowerPC macs (meaning you'd have to upgrade your hardware to get the newest OS).

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2009 01:11 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, that does sound like certain Mac owners. Ignorant. Why support a dead architecture? Do they really want infinite backwards compatibility? I really want to run 10.6 or whatever it is on my Macintosh II! It's not like they've dropped support for previous iterations of OSX, so run 10.4 or 10.5.

I'm running 10.4 on my two year old Macbook. I wasn't paying attention to their product cycle, and I bought my computer about a month before 10.5 was released. They wouldn't upgrade me for free, so 10.4 it is. This may be one of those predictions, like the time my father swore he would never pay more than $1.00 for a gallon of gas, but I have no intention of ever paying for an operating system by itself. I'm done with Macs, so hopefully when this machine needs to be replaced, Lenovo will come around and start selling Thinkpads sans OS, because I'm switching to Linux to avoid the shit from both Microsoft (buggy patches, slow security updates) and Apple (outrageous price, huge security holes that never get patched, Apple fanboys thinking that I'm one of them and that I want to listen to how much they love their Mac and how they just don't understand why people are so ignorant and still use Windows. Steve Jobs is, like, just so keen, gosh he is swell).

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-30-2009 02:05 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, even the earlier iterations of OSX dropped support for the lower-clockspeed powerpc macs.

And on your whole laptop thing, why not just go with the lenovo you want (that has windows) and reinstall it with whatever linux distro you want? That's what I did with my netbook.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2009 02:10 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's my plan, but if Lenovo would discount the thing even $20 for the absence of the Windows license, that would be better. Plus, there's the street cred aspect. I could go up to girls at parties and tell them about how cool I am because my computer came without an OS preinstalled. In my experience this sort of thing always works.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-30-2009 02:36 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Well, that's my plan, but if Lenovo would discount the thing even $20 for the absence of the Windows license, that would be better.
And it would be better if they gave me free booze for a year, but that isn't going to happen either.

Also, usually the windows-included ones are cheaper simply because of supply and demand rather than the license cost.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-30-2009 03:35 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael

I plan to get the new Snow Leopard operating system from Apple in a week or so. After a little over five years of use, my Power Book G4 Pro laptop computer with the old Tiger operating system died this past April and I had to replace it in a hurry because I had a lot of work I had to finish. As much as I would have loved to get the Mac Book Pro, I was not willing to pay over two grand for one at that time so I settled fora Mac Book with a Aluminum body and it is much, much better computer than my previous pro model laptop and it came with the Leopard operating system. It os good to know the upgrade will only cost me $29.95. By the way, shortly after my previous Apple Computer died and I replaced it with a Mac Book, Apple came out with a new Mac Book Pro for about a hundred dollars less [Frown]

-Claude

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-30-2009 04:24 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All Mac owners are god damn fucking assholes and deserve as much shit as PC owners can give them. They and their Macs can go to hell. Macs are pieces of shit and PCs have a much more intuitive OS. Please join me in HATING Macs and their owners! That's what the internet is for! Gripe gripe gripe!

Anyway, I am a Mac owner (and a PC owner) and I don't ever recall bitching about needing to upgrade hardware for Vista. Instead I just bitched about the shittiness of Vista itself.

Anyway, Snow Leopard doesn't seem to be able to upgrade Macs that are running 10.4.x. I tried and it just refuses to even start. All of my other specs meet the specifications, but I think you need 10.5 installed before it will go ahead. If I can get it to work I will install it on my back-up drive and play with it for a while to make sure everything runs smoothly.

Andy Bajew
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2009 04:42 PM      Profile for Andy Bajew   Email Andy Bajew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You tell 'em Joe!

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-30-2009 04:47 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are you smoking, joe/

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-30-2009 04:53 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Anyway, I am a Mac owner (and a PC owner) and I don't ever recall bitching about needing to upgrade hardware for Vista. Instead I just bitched about the shittiness of Vista itself.
And I don't ever recall saying that you were one of the people complaining about the hardware upgrade.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-30-2009 05:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why bitch about a select few? Windows has even more fanboys as Mac-bashing is a VERY popular trend these days. Don't let it get to you. Any time a Mac-based thread comes up here, people are quick to come in and bitch bitch bitch. You just happened to be the first.

Claude, I was just trying to portray the attitude that I feel that most on the internet hold against Mac users.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-30-2009 07:42 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I know, Joe [Smile]

The very first computer I bought was a desktop PC and I hated that thing with a passion as well as the manufacturer's tech support. As a person who was not very mechanically inclined at the time, I never learned how to use that bloody thing because the manual was way over the top of my head and so was the tech support so I got rid of the machine and got a mac. It took me awhile but I eventually learned and come to love Apple computers. The Mac Book laptop computer I am using now is my 6th Apple computer and I just love it. Because film will soon become obsolete, a computer has become a necessity in the professional photography industry I am a part of, I am very glad I got on the computer bandwagon at the very beginning. I have a good friend just about my age who was at Brooks at the same time I was who decided to retire from the profession due to the fact that he was never able to master the use of a computer because he never tried and now spends his time at home taking care of his grand children. I love photography with a passion and now spend a good deal of time with my mac using PHotoshop CS3 Extended software and having a lot of fun creating beautiful images for my clients as well as myself with my wonderful mac computer.

-Claude

-

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-30-2009 08:24 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My son just upgraded his Mac to Snow Leopard, and he says to tell y'all he loves it. [Smile]

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2009 08:39 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first computer was an Apple IIe, which I kept using until 1996! I was in college and didn't have very much money, so that computer was used for many term papers.

I become insanely jealous of all my friends who were running Windows 3.1. Some had even moved to Windows 95. Those people had computers with hard drives built right in.

I wanted a computer I could practise using Photoshop with, and since my trusty Apple IIe had a whopping 128K of RAM it was not quite up to the task. I wanted to get a Mac, but at that time a basic Macintosh was significantly more expensive than a basic PC so that's what I bought. That computer had a 3GB hard drive, which pleased me enormously. I could even connect it to the internet.

These days, you don't really pay more for a Mac than a PC, or at least not much more. Not like in the late 90's. Also, they can now run Windows natively if that's what you need to do. That makes it a bit easier to switch (back), so that's what I did.

My Apple IIe is now a Macbook that I love just as much. I think that going from DOS 3.3 to Leopard was a marginal improvement. [Smile]

Joe: You probably know this already, but I think your options for your Tiger machine are to install Snow Leopard clean, then use Migration Assistant to bring everything over, or install Leopard over Tiger then Snow Leopard over Leopard. I think that doing a trial of this on a spare drive like you said is a smart move.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: