Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Ten years ago today on Film-Tech...

Author Topic: Ten years ago today on Film-Tech...
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 10:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a blast from the past! Exactly ten years ago almost to the minute, Brad Miller posted:

quote:
Shipping on "ELRs" (Extended Length Reels) is an excellent idea. However, there are a few problems.

Whoever designed the reels should've made the inside solid, instead of leaving the grating exposed (necessary for stability in plastic). This grating picks up an incredible amount of dirt sitting around in the depot and isn't easily wiped clean.

Also, because they are not true 35mm reels (more like 55mm), they won't fit directly on any projector's reel arms as well as most platter makeup tables! Christie does have an ELR shaft designed specifically for these, and it works nicely. I don't know of any others who have done this.

Personally I've had one of these suckers split apart during the windoff. It's not a pretty sight! Just as with Technicolor reels, anything plastic designed for reuse is bound to fall apart sooner or later. I now use my Goldberg 6000' split reel for all ELR prints, just like I use my Goldberg 2000' reel for anything coming out of Technicolor. Of course, the benefit of Technicolor reels is they are already conveniently separated when I open the cans!

And then there's the whole thing of one large roll of film, whereas only the first 10 minutes of it is lab damaged. No more changing out reel 1...now it's changing out reels 1, 2, 3.

Anyone else have any thoughts on ELRs?

I don't know why I posted this, but what the hell.

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 10:48 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny...I was only talking about ELR's yesterday to a colleague.

It was a nice thought, but simply badly implemented.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-20-2009 01:42 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They even had ELR's in Australia? Wow, I thought only the US got that crazy advanced kind of technology.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-20-2009 03:21 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..course, before this crazy ELR nonsense that New Line and Warners were trying you is when FOX introduced the "Fox Box" - remember when they were a two piece slip-over box that you had that section of red sinch strap to keep them together?

I've got two of them danged boxes I use for 16mm film storage (when I used to deliver film to ETS, once in a while a pair of these boxes were being tossed out and I would grab them)

Heard that FOX was just starting this with they left NFS for ETS, but goofed in not finishing out their contract with NFS and had to put their prints back in cans .. and that time I was hoping of no more of these danged boxes..

Well, now it's looking like the cat's meow in using these fool things instead of cans...in having to lug up a 7 reel box up 3 flights of stairs and being so massively off balance with 80lbs plus hanging on one side of you...

Thx goodness TECH is keeping some smarts going their way in still using cans for film shipments.

-Monte

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-20-2009 04:51 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
They even had ELR's in Australia?
No...we went straight from 2000ft reels in trunks to 2000ft cores in boxes about 13 years ago.

From there we've gone to a hard drive. [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: