Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How do you get video files onto the PS3

Author Topic: How do you get video files onto the PS3
Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2009 11:59 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the 80gb PS3, and can't figure out how to get video files onto it. I plugged in my external HD via the USB connector, but it didn't detect it.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 01:03 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From "Gamespot"

Tip

1. You can do either one of two things here. With the files on your EXT HD, as it is, you can just go to the icon under video, hit triangle, select "display all," and they'll pop up, or...

2. When putting the files onto the drive in the first place, make a file in the root directory called "VIDEO" (all caps w/o the quotation marks) and they'll all just pop up when you plug it into the PS3.

sounds easy enough - Monte

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-19-2009 03:49 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, if you have a VIDEO folder on your 8+GB memory card (MUST be in the root directory) and put your files in there and then connect it, they will show up and play directly from the card. Press the triangle button to copy it to the PS3 hard drive if you must.

Or you can just stream it from your computer over the ethernet.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 05:08 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Or you can just stream it from your computer over the ethernet.
Ethernets. [Roll Eyes]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-19-2009 05:43 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More troubleshooting advice:

In order for the PS3 to read data from external media, be it portable hard disc drives, USB-based flash memory sticks or flash memory cards (certain PS3 models have flash card slots), that storage media must be formatted in FAT32. The PS3 will not read NTFS formatted discs. I'm only pointing out this tidbit of info because some external hard discs and other data storage devices are pre-formatted in NTFS.

The PS3 is designed to "see" multimedia files stored under "VIDEO," "PICTURE" and "MUSIC" folders. However, the green triangle button can bring up the "display all information" button which will then show all the folders on the attached media.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2009 09:23 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh that's probably it Bobby... I have my external formatted in something for the Mac... Mac Journal extended something or other. I'll try doing that over the weekend.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: