Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Tipping delivery guys

Author Topic: Tipping delivery guys
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 11:32 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so we are getting a new washer and dryer from a store in a nearby town. We're paying $69 to have them deliver it and haul off the old ones. Do I tip the delivery guys? If so, how much?

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-19-2009 11:49 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not for that kind of delivery - those guys get paid pretty good. But I do tip food delivery guys - my usual 15 to 20%.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-19-2009 04:11 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just give 'em a slice of the pizza. [Razz]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 04:22 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would give $20.00 dollars. But thats if they are within their delivery time window.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-19-2009 04:30 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul's right on target in both cases! [thumbsup]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 04:41 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Bill. If they are on time and bring the goods inside quickly and without trashing up the house, tip them $10 or $20.

However, if you have to pay a fee for delivery, tipping is entirely optional. Basically tip for extra good service but not mandatory.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-19-2009 04:58 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
For a "one-time" delivery, I would tip them 20 bux ***IF*** they had to bring the washer and dryer up some stairs to the second story and/or install/hook-up it all. Otherwise the "delivery charge" covers it and I would just say "thank you".

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 05:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil and how do you tip the sushi delivery boy [Smile]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-19-2009 05:03 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordie, I usually tip between 50% and 100%+ IF he is super-cute/friendly. [evil] [beer] [thumbsup]

(God, I'm soooo shallow!) [Eek!] [Roll Eyes] [Razz] [Wink]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 06:29 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Phil, yes you are. [Smile]

I will offer cute delivery guys a nice full-body massage with happy ending. [Big Grin] [evil] [Smile]

I was trained in massage while I was in the Air Force.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 06:43 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well. These guys were not cute, as far as I could tell, so I couldn't tip or not tip on that basis!

They removed the old units and put the new ones in. The laundry room is down 5 stairs.

The store charged $69 to deliver these and take the old ones, so I went with Paul's recommendation and didn't tip the guys.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-20-2009 12:03 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
For a "one-time" delivery, I would tip them 20 bux ***IF*** they had to bring the washer and dryer up some stairs to the second story and/or install/hook-up it all.
I'm ok with giving tips. But people who make bullshit fees to force me into giving a tip... they get zilch.

Like the IKEA delivery for my couch. I filled out paperwork giving my address and specifying I was on the 3rd floor with no elevator then paid the delivery fee. Then when the two guys bring my stuff they say "3rd floor no elevator? You'll have to pay us a $15 fee for that" and when I looked like I wasn't going to he said "It's in the contract you signed at the store." I was suspicious and said that they would've charged for that at the store since I filled out that paperwork. And the big sign that it was bullshit was the fact that they could only take cash. Quickly one of them said that they'd "waive" the fee if I helped carry (which if the fee was truly required they wouldn't have done that).

Probably should've called the store to complain but whatever.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-20-2009 12:43 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will tip if the delivery is especially difficult (up/down narrow stairs, requires removing a door or disassembling the appliance, or something similarly time-consuming or painful). If the appliance really just needs to be rolled into a garage or brought through a front or back door and no special effort is required, I would hope that the delivery fee would be sufficient.

I almost never order pizza or other food delivery, but those guys are paid next to nothing and deserve tips if the delivery time and service are remotely decent. They need to maintain their own cars and get paid minimally, with the understanding that tips constitute the bulk of their income.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: