Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Inglourious Basterds -- Marquees and Potential for Offending People (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Inglourious Basterds -- Marquees and Potential for Offending People
Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2009 07:19 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How is everyone handling this title?

While the language in the title is rather mild and not offensive to most people, there will of course be some that do not like it.

Are you putting the full title on your marquee? Or, are you using an abbreviated title like "Inglourious B-words"?

Have you been displaying the poster? The posters, beyond the word 'basterds', has some pretty violent imagery.

Have you received any complaints after you displayed this title on a poster or a marquee?

What about the mis-spelling? Has anyone thought that you were spelling the title incorrectly?

My theater caters to an older, more conservative crowd, and I can definitely imagine someone getting offended, particularly if it is displayed on the big marquee outside.

-Carey

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-18-2009 08:04 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it were up to me, I'd spell "Bastards" correctly on the marquee.

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2009 09:17 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet our marquee person will do just that, quite by accident.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2009 11:54 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put the whole title up on the marquee the other night, and did not abbreviate the word Basterd. So far I haven't heard any grief yet.

As far as the posters go... I got one in the mail last week that had a big picture of Brad Pitt on it, with the words across the top "Brad Pitt is a Basterd". I left it in the tube - and put up the one of the soldiers helmet hanging from the butt of a gun.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 11:59 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spelling bastards correctly is NOT the correct title of the movie, so spelling it that way could be an infringement on the license granted to the theatre to advertise.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 12:22 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If that's the case, the Carmike Wynnsong in Billings has racked up millions of dollars in violations over the years -- virtually every title on their "marquee" is usually abbreviated, misspelled, or otherwise screwed up.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 08-19-2009 12:31 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd spell it correctly. But then again I'm the same guy that refuses to abbreviate any title no matter how long it is.

And while I haven't seen the movie yet, doesn't the Basterds spelling have some sort of significance?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 12:53 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
the Carmike Wynnsong in Billings
..that's the dead giveaway right there ... it's a "Carmike" theatre where nobody cares .. - Monte

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-19-2009 04:05 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's funny is that most people will probably be oblivious to the spelling...

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 05:04 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is 'Basterds' really that bad a word?

It's not like the title is 'Inglourious Fuckers' or something. [Roll Eyes]

(Actually Scott...that one's coming out next Spring. That'll test your loyalty to your mantra) [Wink]

We put the whole thing up. If anyone complains I'm sure we'll file the complaint in the appropriate place.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2009 06:05 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody here play Mod Fuck Explosion or Fucking Åmål? ...and if you did was the proper title on the marquee?

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 06:22 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would this title really cause a problem for anybody?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 06:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
It's not like the title is 'Inglourious Fuckers'
Well, it would probably be 'Inglourious Fukkerz" or something like that.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2009 06:56 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were there any problems with 'Meet The Fockers' a while back?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-19-2009 07:05 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Well, it would probably be 'Inglourious Fukkerz" or something like that.
LOL!
quote: Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Were there any problems with 'Meet The Fockers' a while back?
Yes. It was a piece of shit and an embarrassment to all actors concerned.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: