Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Capturing streaming video?

Author Topic: Capturing streaming video?
Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2009 12:01 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boss wants me to grab a video from the local news channel's website to show in a class, I use Tube TV on the Mac for this in the past and it's worked fine. But this particular video has a commercial before it, and Tubetv only detects the commercial and not the video I want. IS there a better video grabber out there?

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-29-2009 02:32 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have access to a computer running linux, there's a program called "recordmydesktop" and they've got both a gtk and qt4 gui client for using it. You'd just select the area of the screen you want to record and it'll make a video file of that.

Though, if the TV station is doing something tricky with the video then YMMV.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-29-2009 04:32 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Snapz Pro X http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/

Anything your screen can display, Snapz Pro can record.

It is a paid program but there is a trial version that gives you 15 days of use for testing purposes.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-29-2009 08:05 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a lot of free video capturing programs that works with some browswers .. do a Firefox plug-in search on this one.

Whoops Randy: that link you posted is a dead one - IE shows that the address is invalid..

-Monte

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-29-2009 10:23 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked the link from another computer. It works for me.

Firefox plugins work by finding the cache files that video downloads live in or by sniffing for the URL of the source.

There are sites like hulu.com which use proprietary video player software coupled with Flash and Javascript which cloak the source of the video and prevent it from being downloaded unless referred from the root site.

Snapz Pro works differently. It actually looks at the data being displayed on your screen and copies it to a file. Anything that can be displayed on-screen can be copied.

If you have tried the FF pluginsto no avail, try Snapz Pro. I have captured videos from Hulu with it. It should work for you.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-29-2009 11:00 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Randy: dumb IE hated that link while FireFox had no probs with it ... go figure, I guess.

..and it's for the MAC, so us PC users are out of the ballpark on this site ..

thx--Monte

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-29-2009 11:32 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OP wants Mac. [Smile]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-30-2009 12:38 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't get the link to go in either FF or IE. Hangs the computer too. [Confused]

quote: Randy Stankey
OP wants Mac.
 -
[Wink]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-30-2009 08:59 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, so much for telegraphic language... Eh? [Roll Eyes] [Wink]

Try going in through the front door.
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2009 06:21 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SnapPro works like a charm, thanks Randy! It was a little odd at first though since you have to choose where on the screen to capture the video, rather than inputting the URL

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-30-2009 06:40 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem! Glad it worked out! [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: