Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Western Electric Sewing Machine????

Author Topic: Western Electric Sewing Machine????
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-27-2009 03:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Walking through an antique store in Billings the other day I encountered a Western Electric Sweing Machine with Western Electric drive motor... Never knew they made them. Is this a rare thing and should I grab it when I go back through there? No, I don't know how to sew!

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2009 04:19 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They dont look too rare but if the price is right and you need to get some serious sewing done why not?

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2009 10:01 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark- Western Electric company manufactured home appliances
for a short time somewhere in the early 1920's I beleive.

Almost everybody has seen an old Western Electric fan, with the
big brass blades. I have one from 1925 that's still going strong.

When I worked for the phone company (Pacific Bell) they had one
of the sewing machines, a fan, an electric iron and even a
washing machine ( ! ) all manufactured by Western Electric
on display in the company museum.

In my collection of "stuff" I have a 1915 WE Telco Supply Catalog
in which they list these nifty old Indian Motorcycles for travelling telco techs!

-
(actual catalog page)

I found this online:
 -

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2009 06:13 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Mark. Western Electric was into electric motors and many other things before they ever entered the motion picture field. The sewing maching is a classic. It could rise in price.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-01-2009 06:52 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the quality is anywhere near that of their telephones, that sewing machine will probably outlast all of us.

I have a metal Western Electric 302 desk set from 1940 that still works great.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-01-2009 09:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't go back and buy it but it'll probbly still be there on my next trip through later this year. It was there on my last trip... The pinstriping all over this thing was worth the price alone... definately artwork... no decal here! I snapped a pic with the i-Phone....
 -

Mark

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-03-2009 06:25 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One small step from a sewing maching with a repetitive needle "pull-down" type of movement to a Singer 16mm projector with a repetitive claw pull-down movement.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2009 07:10 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the Robert Bosch Company decided to close their Bauer cinema plant in the 1980s, they still needed to fulfill contracts for 16mm school equipment.

All tools, casts and parts were shipped to Pfaff AG, the major German manufacturer of sewing machines where Bauer P8 projectors were built for a few more years.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2009 01:21 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used to sell estate furniture at our furniture store. Now we only sell new furniture.

I have sold at least half a dozen of those, among other brands, for prices ranging from $88-$188 depending on condition. Not rare, but neat little pieces.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: