Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Avatar Day

Author Topic: Avatar Day
Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2009 02:12 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

quote:
On August 21, the world will get its first look at director James Cameron’s motion picture epic AVATAR, when Twentieth Century Fox and Cameron debut the film’s trailer everywhere – while select cinemas and IMAX® theaters will screen extended footage prepared by the renowned filmmaker for this global “Avatar Day” event.

The worldwide trailer launch will be presented in all formats, including IMAX® 3-D, IMAX® 2-D, digital 3-D, digital 2-D, and 35mm 2-D. The trailer will also be available online.

The extended look at AVATAR will unspool only on August 21 – and only in 3-D – in select theaters and IMAX®. Details on locations and reserving tickets for this extraordinary and unprecedented experience will be announced soon.

(8/21 is a Friday) The footage is reportedly about 15 minutes. My guess is that this is less about selling Avatar and more about selling 3D to those who haven't tried it lately.

Has anyone heard anything about this from the theatre side of things? Will there be one showing, or will it play repeatedly during the day? Is Fox gonna pony up some dough for the lost revenue caused by taking a 3D screen out of commission?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-27-2009 05:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They might as well pony up some dough, considering how much they're saving by not having to pay for 3-D glasses.

Oh wait, this is Fox we're talking about. No ponying will happen, that's my prediction.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2009 07:43 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got an invitation from AMC to the 15 minute screenings today (8/17/09). From looking over the list, they are running shows at 6:00 pm and 7:00 pm only, not all day. The theatres on the list I saw were only AMC Imax Digital sites. They also included LINCOLN SQUARE, and I'm not sure if they've put digital in there or not. No way digital could fill that screen.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-17-2009 11:01 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There seems to be more hype for the trailer than the actual movie.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-17-2009 11:19 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering how long exhibitors will put up with the studios advertising their 3D stuff on 2D screens like that's the way everyone will see it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-17-2009 11:19 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our film booker went to L.A. and was shown about a half-hour of footage and was really impressed. He said the 3-D was really great as far as how it was used in the footage. I said, "So will it suck if it's not in 3-D?" He said no, it's still going to be a good movie but for once, the 3-D will really enhance it. (Based on what he saw, at least.)

I still say if it's a good story, it shouldn't need 3-D to be a good movie.

quote: Jack Ondracek
I'm wondering how long exhibitors will put up with the studios advertising their 3D stuff on 2D screens like that's the way everyone will see it.
I clip every reference to 3-D out of trailers and I cover up any onesheet reference. Yes, it sometimes makes a trailer flow badly but I would rather have it look like we just "had to make a splice there" than advertise something we can't deliver. I do wish some of the "big boys" would demand that trailers NOT advertising 3-D would be made for those locations that don't have 3-D.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: