Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Les Lye of You Can't Do That On Television dead at 84 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Les Lye of You Can't Do That On Television dead at 84
John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2009 10:19 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
read here

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-25-2009 12:01 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
WTF kind of thread is this?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-25-2009 01:02 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IDK. WTF is YCDTOTV? TTYL. TTFN.

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2009 02:20 AM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW: When it was on, it was the most popular show in its time slot. I'm sure some people here have fond memories of it, and Les.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-25-2009 07:47 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Deeaaaahhhhhhhhiiiiiieeeeeeeee heard that!"

RIP.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2009 08:39 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was a popular show on Nickelodeon in the early '90's. Alanis Morissette appeared on that show when she was a child.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-25-2009 11:50 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
point missed

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2009 01:26 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since there is now apparently a time limit for editing a message I'll post this here.

quote:
CTV Ottawa legend Les Lye passes away

Updated: Thu Jul. 23 2009 16:47:36

ctvottawa.ca

Actor and broadcaster Les Lye passed away on Tuesday at the age of 84.

Born in Toronto, Lye came to Ottawa after graduating from Lorne Greene's Academy of Radio Arts in 1948.

He joined CFRA Radio, where he served listeners for more than a decade. It was at CFRA, that he worked with Rich Little and they collaborated on a comedy album, 'My Fellow Canadians' - a spoof of the Diefenbaker years.

In 1961, he joined CJOH-TV as a freelance writer and performer. It was here, that he forged a long-lasting partnership with Bill Luxton. Together, they created the popular 'Willy & Floyd,' which ran for more than 20 years. Such personalities as Alanis Morissette, Klea Scott, Bruno Gerussi and Margaret Trudeau would drop by for surprise guest appearances.

Opportunity knocked when producers of 'You Can't Do That on Television' were looking for a versatile actor to play the many adult "foils" for the kids. Lye answered the call and instantly became a household name around the world.

Lye is survived by his wife Johnni, three children Brett, Daralyn and Emily.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-25-2009 01:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure is strange, I've just never heard of the guy. I don't watch much TV but I like to think I'm sort of tuned in to pop culture -- and I've heard of the show, but for some reason this person missed my radar. Oh well, R.I.P.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2009 02:27 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the show that pioneered the edible Green Slime that Nickelodeon was so proud of?
And Lorne Greene owned his own acting academy before he became Ben Cartright?

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2009 03:03 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3 words:

I Don't Know

I have very fond memories of watching that show. Did he play Barf?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-25-2009 05:41 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where've you people been?! Even I remember this guy (albeit I didn't know his name). [Wink]

He always reminded me of that great children's television actor, Jim Boyd, who played "J. Arthur Crank" (the crank caller) on "The Electric Company".

-

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2009 07:25 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He played EVERY adult male character on the show (and even a few female characters). He was the only actor to appear in all 130 episodes of the original series. Apparently Nickelodeon had plans to release the series on DVD a few years ago, but it was shelved when they decided they couldn't fail to disappoint the fans (again!) like that.

And for the record, the character's name was Barth, Barth Bagge.
Matter of fact here's a list of just about every character he played on the show, in no particular order:

Ross Ewich - Floor Director, hates kids, apparently got the job because the producer is his uncle. Takes particular delight in tricking the kids into saying the magic words ("I don't know." [slimed] and "Water" [watered]).
R. Sole - Producer (the actual producer of the series was British, so a bit of an in joke there)
Barth Bagge - Proprietor/Cook Barth's Burger Emporium. Who do you think is in the burgers? "D'ah I heard that."
Senator Lance Prevert - Dad to apparently every kid on the show
Nazti - Dungeon Master
El Capitano - Firing squad captain, had a tendancy to get shot at the end of his scenes and moan, "That's one sneeeky keed."
Blip - owner/operator of Blip's Arcade
Peter Cockroach - restaurant critic, appeared in only one episode, flamboyantly homosexual (a DARING choice for a kids show in the '80s)
Coach - coach of every sports team on the show, once complained "Even when I need stupid players, I get them too stupid."
Principal - school principal, typically seen assigning students to copy large portions of the dictionary for detention, then being tricked into letting the kid go. The kid would then say, "Sometimes it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself."
Doctor - Doctor, played as a not-too-shabby Groucho Marx impersonation. Bills exorbitant sums of money for the simplest procedures. Once suggested his patient try the latest miracle cure: "You lop off the patient's ears, without anesthetic, and then the patient forgets all their other problems."
Dentist - Replaced doctor after they ran out of doctor jokes. The producer forbade Lye from playing him as a W.C.Fields impression, so Lye made the character British. Unable to pull a kid's bad tooth, the dentist "just pulled one of the good ones."
Santa Claus - ...Santa Claus
Panzarotti - an Italian film director and another one-episode-only character. Was intent on making "You Can't Do That On Television: The Movie" until this scene occurred.
The un-fairy godmother
Nickelson Dime - president CJOH during the first season (now lost save for 3 episodes someone recorded at home on Beta).
Camp counselor
Various police officers, cowboys, burglars, etc.

and last but not least...
Himself - after the credits of a 1981 episode on smoking, Les, dressed as Ross, removed his headphones and false mustache and addressed the audience as himself to say how disgusting it was, as a non-smoker, to play all of the smoking characters in that episode.

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2009 10:21 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and the slime used on the show wasn't really edible. It probably wouldn't hurt if you accidentally swallowed a little, but definitely not intended for human consumption. Especially from about the 3rd season on, when they would always add some kind of soap or shampoo to the slime to make it wash off more easily.

The kind they used at the amusement parks was made from applesauce, that was edible.

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2009 08:31 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and how could I forget:

Adolf Schitler - Teacher. "Where does the school board find them, and why to they keep sending them to me?!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: