Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Paper towel or Hand Blower? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Paper towel or Hand Blower?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-20-2009 07:12 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I saw and used a hand blower instead of paper towels in a men's room was at a Burger King restaurant in Honolulu many years ago and I did not like it all. One of the reasons I did not like the blowers was the amount of time it took to dry my hands because it was very slow. I have noticed more place are using them now including the Costco store in my area. The newer ones seem to be more efficient because the blower operates faster and my hands are almost dry in a few seconds. However, I still do not like them and cannot understand the reasoning when they say blowers are more sanitary than paper towels. If you agree, how so? The only reason why I feel many establishments are using hand blowers is the fact that it might cheaper than paper towels.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-20-2009 07:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer paper towels myself but we have both in our restrooms because we are hardcore fancy like that.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-20-2009 10:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best hand blowers I've ever seen were in the Minneapolis airport. They are called "Air Blade." Instead of a spout pointing down, these blowers have a rounded "trench" across the top. You just lower your hands into this trench, and the machine starts automatically. When you draw your hands out slowly, a "blade" of air from both sides literally squeegees the water off your hands. It takes about 10 seconds and works better than any other drier I've seen. Why these haven't appeared everywhere is a good question.

- Airblade hand dryers

quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
The only reason why I feel many establishments are using hand blowers is the fact that it might cheaper than paper towels.
There are other, more important reasons: You never have to re-load (or pay for) the damn towels, pick them up off the floor, or haul cans full of them to the dumpster.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-20-2009 10:58 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Step 1: Press button.
Step 2: Dry hands under warm air.
Step 3: Wipe hands on pants.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-20-2009 11:09 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to use the hand blowers to dry my hands. Then if I'm feeling particularly paranoid about the filthy nature of others in that establishment I'll use a paper towel to cover my hand as I push the urine, shit and snot caked door to escape the bathroom.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-20-2009 11:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...the airport restrooms I'm describing are really about as germless as possible -- the toilet flushers, water faucets, and hand-dryers are all touchless, and the room has no doors, just a short "maze" to get in and out.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-21-2009 01:01 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No doors on the stalls, either?

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2009 01:03 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone still see those community towel mechanisms in which you pull the towel through the machine and then dry your hands?

I always felt those to be dirty as hell.

Those Excelerator dryers are wicked cool though: it's like a jet engine for your hands.

AJG

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-21-2009 01:15 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
I guess I never used a stall, but maybe they have some kind of push to lock/push to unlock thing where you could use your knee or something if you wanted to. I'm curious now -- Next time we go thru Mpls (in September) I'll take a look.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-21-2009 01:26 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're using the stalls wouldn't you be washing your hands anyway?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-21-2009 02:39 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean you don't when you use urinals?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-21-2009 03:57 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main reason I prefer paper towels is so I can use one to open the restroom door when I leave. That's one reason I try to avoid using restrooms in McDonalds, Burger King, and others that don't even offer paper towels.

Given the choice, I would probably use the dryer to dry my hands and than take 1 towel to open the door. When I use towels to dry my hands, it usually requires 3-4 depending on the type.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-21-2009 04:47 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
K, you're in a great movie and have to hit the 'can'. Do you want to waste precious minutes on those dumb hand dryers, or do you want to beat it outta there to get back to your movie?

Also, who do you know that "loves" to be in the bathroom when they can leave quicker if they can use paper towels?

I know of a small circuit that used to have paper towels, but got fed up with them for two reasons: 1-had to find ways in cutting corners on custodial costs and, 2-tired of calling the plumber over since the kids were flushing the paper towels down the toilets and plugging up sewer lines since paper towels do not decompose like "t.p." does.

I use the 'can' and head out the door, hit the snakbar to grab some napkins to finish the drying. I don't like "living" in the bathroom if I can help it.

-Monte

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2009 10:19 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Why these haven't appeared everywhere is a good question.
Check out the price. I think they are around $1000 per unit.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-21-2009 10:40 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean you don't when you use urinals?
I didn't say that. I'm saying that someone who doesn't like germs is probably going to be ok with the door to the stall having germs since they're going to wash their hands anyway.

Of course, this doesn't count for extreme germaphobes. But the joke's on them... people who are super-scared of germs and wear gloves/masks all the time get sick more often than normal people.

quote: Justin Hamaker
The main reason I prefer paper towels is so I can use one to open the restroom door when I leave. That's one reason I try to avoid using restrooms in McDonalds, Burger King, and others that don't even offer paper towels.
Based on the number of places that could easily not have them (and you seeming pretty worried about it), wouldn't you take it upon yourself to have a baggie with some towels in it at all times.

And I avoid McDonalds and Burger King for other reasons than their bathrooms. Their food sucks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: