Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Henry Allingham dies aged 113.

Author Topic: Henry Allingham dies aged 113.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-18-2009 08:02 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Henry Allingham, the oldest, and one of the very few remaining veterans of the Great War has died.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8157128.stm

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2009 04:29 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About 5 years ago my VFW post still had a WWI veteran member. He passed then at the age of 104. Today, the remaining WWII guys are departing at over 1000 per day.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2009 05:09 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a list of the last surviving veterans of World War I by country. Its from Wikipedia, so its not academic.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2009 01:13 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last UK veteran of WWI trench battles dies at 111

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2009 04:02 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And then there were three . . .

When I was a little boy, my Grandfather's neighbor was an old immigrant from what is now Croatia. When he died in 1986 my grandfather was given his glass that he would use to drink wine. Now, every Christmas, I use that glass and remind my children how the original user spent three days under a bridge, in water up to his neck, as an Austro-Hungarian soldier hiding from the Italians during the Isonzo Campaign. They look at me with blank expressions or - at best - simple acknowledgment. I'm not a super patriot, nor do I even fly the American flag, but it is stories like these I tell my children so that one day they might quietly understand what it means to be an American.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-25-2009 08:44 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand the blank expressions. It isn't at all clear to me either what the story of some Croatian soldier hiding from Italians in WWI has to do with "being an American".

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2009 03:20 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the risk of having this thread closed you just have to understand that it is in, as Paul Harvey would say, "the rest of the story".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: