Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Albums with the most hit songs? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Albums with the most hit songs?
Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2009 12:07 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans Criswell posted an interesting item about MJ in the "passed away" thread. Two of his albums (Thriller and Bad) were released and the majority of songs on both albums were big hits (I think it said 7 of 9 on Thriller were #1 hits). So I wondered, what other group/artist has been able to achieve this? Usually when you buy an album, you get one or two good songs and the rest is "meh".

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-01-2009 12:18 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wikipedia claims that Bad had the most #1's at 5 of them.

I recall Creed's first album had the most #1's for rock listings at 4.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-01-2009 04:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
INXS Kick had quite a few.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-01-2009 06:10 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever had a lot of hits. Don't know how many tracks made it to #1 in the Billboard Magazine singles charts or if it set any record on amount of #1 hits. The album accomplished the feat of selling the most copies. That record stood until Michael Jackson's Thriller sold even more copies.

Dirty Dancing had some big hits on it, and that album sold more copies than Thriller. However, Thriller has the distinction of being the biggest selling album featuring new material from a single recording artist/group. Soundtracks and compilations sort of deserve an asterisk -especially when it concerns this kind of topic (most #1 hits).

Whitney Houston, Madonna and perhaps Phil Collins have to be in the running on this contest of most #1 hits on a single album.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-01-2009 06:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thriller did not have five #1 hits -- it had seven top 10 singles. Just two of them (Billie Jean and Beat It) hit #1 in Billboard, but the others were:

The Girl Is Mine - #2
Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' - #5
Human Nature - #7
P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) - #10
Thriller - #4

It was the next album, BAD, that had five #1 singles. They were:

I Just Can't Stop Loving You
Bad
The Way You Make Me Feel
Dirty Diana
Man in the Mirror

Jackson is the only artist in history to have five #1 singles from one album and seven top 40 hits from each of two consecutive albums. The "Thriller" album, which came out in 1982, was the 32nd-best selling album in the world in 2008 and last week that album, plus his other two "major" albums of the '80s (Bad and Off the Wall) each sold more than the current #1 album, the latest Jonas Bros. release.

All of this above chart data is from Billboard Hot 100, not the "R&B" or "Catalog" charts.

quote: Bobby Henderson
Whitney Houston, Madonna and perhaps Phil Collins have to be in the running on this contest of most #1 hits on a single album.
No they don't. Whitney Houston had four #1s off of her "Whitney" album, and Madonna had three from "Like a Virgin." Phil Collins had two at the most from his biggest albums.

quote: Bobby Henderson
Dirty Dancing had some big hits on it, and that album sold more copies than Thriller.
Dirty Dancing had some big hits all right, but it sold nowhere near what Thriller did. Thriller is over 100 million copies easily worldwide, and DD would be lucky to have half that. As for Saturday Night Fever - it had four #1 singles, all by the Bee Gees, that originated on that album. Three other songs were #1 hits ("Jive Talkin' and "You Should Be Dancing" by the Bee Gees, and "A Fifth of Beethoven" by Walter Murphy) but they originated on previous albums.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2009 07:09 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot about the SNF soundtrack... that's another one of those albums where it's great to listen to every single track.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2009 07:57 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Def Leppard's Hysteria was full of hits. I don't care to look up how many or where they ranked, but it was a huge album.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2009 08:32 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Abba Arrival maybe worth a mention, The number of no 1's may have been an australian specific thing though with this sweedish band.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-01-2009 11:02 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huey Lewis and the News "Sports" spawned four top ten hits. A fifth song from the album was a top twenty hit.

Strange, but true.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-01-2009 11:58 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
No they don't. Whitney Houston had four #1s off of her "Whitney" album, and Madonna had three from "Like a Virgin." Phil Collins had two at the most from his biggest albums.
Did I say "Whitney had the most #1 hits on a single album?" I only said she was "in the running." Four number 1 hits for one of Whitney's albums compared to MJ's five would definitely put Whitney "in the running." She's at least tied for 2nd place (unless someone can find another act with 5 number 1 hits on a single original album release).

quote: Mike Blakesley
Dirty Dancing had some big hits all right, but it sold nowhere near what Thriller did. Thriller is over 100 million copies easily worldwide, and DD would be lucky to have half that.
It turns out that's the case now. I didn't know that. But I distinctly remember the Dirty Dancing soundtrack passing Thriller in album sales during its original release. I got sick of ordering and stocking tons of the things for the AAFES exchange at Fort Wadsworth in Staten Island (one of the odd jobs I had at the time while in college).

More than 20 years have passed since then. That's been enough time for Thriller to re-take the lead. Dirty Dancing is arguably a dated 1980's movie so I wouldn't expect it to budge much from its 47 million units sold mark. Thriller didn't immediately sell over 100 million copies; it's taken a couple decades for that to happen. It also turns out Eagles: Greatest Hits has also passed the Dirty Dancing soundtrack. With Michael Jackson's death, Thriller is sure to sell a whole lot more copies.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-02-2009 12:50 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" (1977) held a good lot as well

REO Speedwagon's "Hi InFidelity" (1981) also had a good lot.

Journey's "Escape" (1981) can't be forgotten with it having good hit tunes.

......Monte

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2009 04:06 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album netted the following hits:
Go Your Own Way (10), Dreams (1), Don't Stop (3) and You make Loving Fun (9).
REO Speedwagon's Hi Infidility netted Keep On Loving You (1), Take It On the Run (5), Don't Let Him Go (24) and In Your Letter (20).
Journey's Escape netted Who's Crying Now (4), Don't Stop Believin' (9), Open Arms (2), and Still They Ride (19).
Huey Lewis and the News Sports netted Heart and Soul (8), I Want a New Drug (6), The Heart of Rock & Roll (6), If This is It (6), and Walking on a Thin Line (18).
Prince's Purple Rain soundtrack netted When Doves Cry (1), Let's Go Crazy (1), Purple Rain (2), I Would Die 4 U (8) and Take Me With U, with Apollonia (25)
4 singles off a hit album seems to be the standard.
Mike, were you referencing from Top 40 Hits by Joel Whitburn? I was using his Top Pop Singles from 1955 to 2002.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-02-2009 08:30 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know where you all look up this info (I don't want to take the time)...but...The Beatles have to be up there somewhere.

Most all of their albums have most of the tracks be very popular. Note too, they were in a different era where Singles were where you put your top songs and the LPs are where you put the "not quite good enough to be a single" songs with the "flip side" of the single being the 3rd tier though with The Beatles, they were known for their "double-A sides." Most Beatles singles did not appear on their albums and/or were a different take of the single version. Heck, it wasn't until their later LPs that the US and UK versions of the albums were the same!

Steve

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-02-2009 02:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the discussion was mostly about #1 hits. There are dozens of albums that have four or five top 40 hits. Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" album only had one #1 -- "Dreams." It's the only #1 they've ever had, despite having lots of top 40 hits.

Another thought about the Beatles -- their era, albums came too fast (one every six months to a year) to allow many singles from the same album to run their course. Fleetwood Mac was one of the first bands to use the concept of four or five or more singles released after the album came out, simply because it was taking so long for them to create the followup to "Rumours."

James W - I have the Whitburn book you mention but I got all the Michael Jackson figures from the latest issue of Billboard.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2009 02:50 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three that came to mind from high school days...

Billy Joel's Innocent Man had 6 hits:
Tell Her About It, Uptown Girl, An Innocent Man, The Longest Time, Leave A Tender Moment Alone, Keeping The Faith

Bruce Springsteen's Born In The USA had 7 hits:
Dancing In The Dark, Cover Me, Born In The USA, I'm On Fire, Glory Days, I'm Goin' Down, My Hometown

Footloose Soundtrack had 6 hits:
Almost Paradise [Reno, Mike, and Ann Wilson], Dancing In The Sheets [Shalamar], Footloose [Loggins, Kenny], Holding Out For A Hero [Tyler, Bonnie], I'm Free (Heaven Helps The Man) [Loggins, Kenny], Let's Hear It For The Boy [Williams, Deniece]

Billboard Top Pop Singles 1955-2002 and Billboard Top Pop Albums 1955-2001 are my references for all chart-related posts made from the office, and the newest more recent editions for posts made from home.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: