Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Here's Why The New "Secure" Drivers Licenses Are Worthless

Author Topic: Here's Why The New "Secure" Drivers Licenses Are Worthless
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 06-30-2009 11:45 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I screwed up, my drivers license expired on the 12th. Went to DMV yesterday to find out what was needed to renew. Was told of course that my now expired license would not do even though they had my SSN, photo, I haven't changed much in the past 5 years) current address etc, etc etc. They said I needed to bring my birth certificate. That was destroyed in a house fire 10 years ago. Went to the Dept. of Vital Records, their only requirement for a certified copy of my birth certificate was my EXPIRED drivers license. If the expired DL is no good to ID me at DMV, why is it acceptable at vital records? I'm not complaining and if it were not acceptable most people would be caught in the circle of not being able to get an ID without an ID. The whole process seems to subvert the idiot federal govt. attempt at making all these things secure.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-30-2009 03:34 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I ordered my birth certificate through the mail.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-30-2009 06:56 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always wondered: What happens if you are on vacation, and ready to board your flight home, and it's late at night, and you find your wallet missing and with it, your ID. Is there any other way to verify your ID? Assuming you do have your boarding pass (which you printed at home), do they let you on the plane or do you have to just get a job selling hot dogs on the beach and live in vacation paradise the rest of your life?

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2009 07:56 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
do they let you on the plane or do you have to just get a job selling hot dogs on the beach and live in vacation paradise the rest of your life?
Awesome! I am conveniently losing my wallet on my next vacation! [thumbsup]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-30-2009 08:09 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are unable to provide (or refuse to provide) ID at the security gate, you can still get through by submitting to a more thorough security check.

The folks at the ticket counter won't give you a boarding pass without ID, but you can just print one at a kiosk or online.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-03-2009 08:08 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard a rumor they became a lot more restrictive about that in the past three months.

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: