Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Who watches infomercials? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Who watches infomercials?
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-29-2009 07:27 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all of the mass hysteria going around about the death of that Billy Mays guy and how he was as good/not as good as some other guy named Vince I just have to ask who watches infomercials? And more importantly.... WHY???

I watched one once when I was a child. They seemed like commercials for shitty products that couldn't afford commercials.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-29-2009 07:50 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hitler,and others were also very good "front line" talkers - marketing and selling a "product" that could be believed in.

They could sell the shirt off of your back if they wanted to..

The excellent art of persuasion...

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2009 08:52 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see them a lot, although I only watch them sparingly. I usually watch an hour or two of TV after I get home from work, and that 1-4am time frame is chock full of them.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-29-2009 09:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to sort of enjoy the "Amazing Stories" one about the miracle car paint scratch remover/disguiser. It had a British guy that was kind of funny. But I haven't watched one in years now. DVD is better for very late night TV.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2009 09:42 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to watch "Ron Popiel" late at night. Infomercials are sometimes more entertaining than some of the crap on TV.

Once in a while they have a really good product. Oxy Clean really works well.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2009 09:42 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every time a Billy Mays commercial comes on....I MUTE the volume.
I can't stand infomercials.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-29-2009 10:02 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are commercials, and there are program-length infomercials. Billy Mays did both.

It's not like infomercials are appointment viewing. But more than once while channel-surfing I've stopped on some infomercial and just had to watch at least a few minutes. I mean who among us has stumbled onto a DualSaw infomercial and not felt a compelling need to buy one. [Wink]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-29-2009 10:38 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watch infomercials?

I'd rather watch my fingernails grow.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-30-2009 02:07 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember stumbling across one commercial where it showed someone fixing a bald spot with what looked like a spray paint can. I don't know if it was a real commercial or an infomercial, but it was late at night. Anyone else see this?

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2009 02:21 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hair in a Can. One dumbass I worked with told me I needed it. It wasn't funny the first time, but after pointing this out over a dozen times, I told him to STFU PLZ and dammit.
He concluded that I am sensitive about the small "clearing" on the top of my head that the flies like to land on. I deny that. I was simply tired of his incessant "hair in the can" suggestion.
All the substance would really do was darken the "peach fuzz" on one's head and darken the scalp with the same hideous color of whatever was in that can.
I recommend wearing a cap. More dignity there.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-30-2009 03:01 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
I remember stumbling across one commercial where it showed someone fixing a bald spot with what looked like a spray paint can.
Yep... another Ron Popeil (Ronco) invention... GLH spray-on hair. He frequenly pushed that stuff... sometimes on the same show as his amazing turkey roaster.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2009 06:13 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
I mean who among us has stumbled onto a DualSaw infomercial and not felt a compelling need to buy one.
Did you?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-30-2009 06:39 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Infomercials and daytime network TV are the reasons people who are in hospitals get well and leave. Louis

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2009 07:01 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was the first informercial? I remember back in the 1970's, on a Sunday morning, if you couldn't find any "Davey and Goliath" shows (the closest thing to a cartoon on Sunday morning), there used to be a half hour show about the "Shop Smith" woodworking tool. What really stuck in my mind was the color. It was VERY colorful, and looking back, it would have classified as an infomercial.

Anyone remember those?

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2009 09:48 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being the cheap-ass father that I am, we don't have either cable TV or satelite at our house. My kids have to watch TV via antenna thru the new converter box. One of the new channels we got when we "scanned" for new channels a couple of weeks ago is called the "Qubo Network". It rotates some really cheesy cartoons with infomercials. Billy Mays does (or did) a couple of them on there. My 6 year old is always coming up to me talikng about how we should get an "IRON GYM" or a "Pancake Puff Pan".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: