Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Billy Mays, star of TV's "Pitchmen," found dead at home. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Billy Mays, star of TV's "Pitchmen," found dead at home.
Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-28-2009 11:43 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, guys... it comes in fours.

Only over the past year or so have I've warmed up to Billy Mays and his kind, friendly smile. The deal was sealed when I began watching him on the "Pitchmen" show. He seemed like a fun guy.

Billy Mays found dead in his home at 50.
quote:
TAMPA, Fla. – Tampa police say Billy Mays, the television pitchman known for his boisterous hawking of products such as Orange Glo and OxiClean, has died. He was 50.

Authorities say Mays was pronounced dead Sunday morning after being found by his wife at home. There were no signs of a break-in, and investigators do not suspect foul play. The coroner's office expects to have an autopsy done by Monday afternoon.

Mays' wife, Deborah Mays, says the family doesn't expect to make any public statements and asked for privacy.

Mays was also featured on the reality TV show "Pitchmen" on the Discovery Channel, which followed Mays and Anthony Sullivan in their marketing jobs.

More details.
quote:
Mays was on board a US Airways flight that blew out its front tires as it landed at a Tampa airport on Saturday, MyFOXTampa.com reported.

US Airways spokesman Jim Olson said that none of the 138 passengers and five crew members were injured in the incident, but several passengers reported having bumps and bruises, according to the station.

Authorities have not said whether Mays' death was related to the incident.

|  IP: Logged

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2009 12:21 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tim

I dont really consider this guy to be in the same league as Ed, Farrah, or Michael.

I Do hope he didnt suffer. RIP. All the best to his family.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-28-2009 12:25 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Celebrity, Bruce. He was a celebrity. My rule of fours still holds. [Razz] [Wink]

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2009 12:31 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An icon of sorts. I would mute the TV whenever his ads came on. Still, I'm sorry for him and his family.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2009 01:39 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, just as I was getting into Pitchmen on Discovery.

He was great at what he did, but I always felt that he was yelling at me. HI I'M BILLY MAYS!!! BUY OXYCLEAN!!!! No thanks...

Probably the most recognizable faces in commercials since Ron Popeil

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-28-2009 01:57 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Rick Raskin
I would mute the TV whenever his ads came on.
Same here!

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2009 02:15 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better than Vince Mr. "You'll love my nuts"

I wonder if they'll replace him on Pitchmen and keep doing the show. If so, who?

I kinda liked him, and Sullivan.

Maybe they can get Mr. Ron "Set it and forget it" Popeil? Is he even still around?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-28-2009 07:20 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron Popeil's retired, isn't he? [Wink] Ol' Vince is annoying and abrasive, certainly... but sort of likeable in an offbeat way. At least he is for me.

My reaction when I first heard, "HI! I'M BILLY MAYS!!" was, "Good for you! Who the hell is Billy Mays?"

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2009 09:51 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I often found Mr Mays' TV pitches annoying but also
strangely entertaining. Too bad about his untimely passing.

I really don't want to wish anyone ill, but I'm secretly
waiting for the day when that old hag who whines "I've
fallen and I can't get up" . . . . doesn't. [Wink]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-28-2009 10:18 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
I'm secretly waiting for the day when that old hag who whines "I've fallen and I can't get up" . . . . doesn't.
Too late.
quote: Entertainment Weekly
Celebrity news for the week of August 15, 1997

DEATHS TV commercial actress Edith Fore, 81, July 31, of natural causes, in Camden, N.J. In 1990, former nurse Fore uttered the now-famous words ''I've fallen and I can't get up'' in a commercial for the Lifecall Medic Alert system. She was recruited for the spot, for which she was paid $500, after she fell and used the device to get help.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-28-2009 10:50 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
My reaction when I first heard, "HI! I'M BILLY MAYS!!" was, "Good for you! Who the hell is Billy Mays?"
Same here. I went and looked him up.
Basically he was one of those people who was trying to be famous for being famous by selling cleaning products on TV. :roll:

I'm sorry to hear about his death.

But I bet he'll have the cleanest casket you've ever seen! [Big Grin]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-28-2009 11:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of the guy. His name sounds like he must have been a baseball player, though. What team did he play for?

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2009 11:35 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After watching Pitchmen for the past few months I definitely gained a new respect for Billy Mays. He helped a lot of people make their dreams come true. I'm sure they exaggerate on the show a bit, but you can still tell he did a lot. Many scoff that he just wanted his cut, but I see nothing wrong with that. This is an actual loss to the world, but he helped legitimize his field so I'm sure more will take his place.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-29-2009 12:02 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And by reading the story on the possibility on his death would be almost the same as Natasha Richardson's death due to her skiiing accident back in March .."epidural hematoma" where he hit his head hard when that plane had a rough landing.

-Monte

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-29-2009 03:41 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
His name sounds like he must have been a baseball player, though. What team did he play for?
That's Willie Mays and he played for the Giants and later for the Mets.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: