Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Oscar expands Best Picture noms to 10 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Oscar expands Best Picture noms to 10
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 06-24-2009 03:59 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Motion Picture Academy announced Wednesday that for the first time in more than 65 years, the field of Best Picture nominees will be expanded to 10 contenders for the 82nd. Annual Academy Awards.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-24-2009 04:14 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Michael Bay has more pull than I thought! [Big Grin]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-24-2009 04:19 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure the folks who run Variety are happy about this news. It could translate into a lot more award campaign ad buys from movie studios (you know those "for your consideration" ads).

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2009 04:28 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, they'll mix in some popular movies with the "art film" list that they normally honor. This, in hopes that "regular" movie fans will watch the show. But, in the end, the art films that nobody watches will still take home the awards. [Roll Eyes]

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2009 05:08 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the equivalent of the wild card in sports playoffs. It will get more people to go see those movies that are in the running. 10 is a bit extreme. I could have seen 6 or 7. Most years it seems as if I don't see 10 movies I think are great. Maybe it will be a maximum of 10 kind of thing, but they won't always have to have 10?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-24-2009 05:22 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no way that ten good films are released in a single year.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-24-2009 06:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
And there is no way the Academy will pick more than one deserving movie each year to make the nominee list (which won't win).

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-24-2009 07:24 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Joe. Most years there are only 6-7 films that are actually deserving of a nomination. Of course this will expand the telecast by another 30 minutes.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-24-2009 09:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I predict a lot of griping by fans of directors if there are still only five director nominations.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2009 10:40 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully they will now include nominated animated movies with that 10. Did they mention that by any chance?

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 06-24-2009 10:58 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
There is no way that ten good films are released in a single year.
No, but sometimes there aren't even five and there's no guaranteeing the good ones would be nominated anyway.

This certainly changes the dynamics as much as adding five more horses to a five horse race. I kinda' like the shake up. Hey, a. It will stay around, or, b. It will go back to five next year.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-24-2009 11:25 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, no...
If they want to get more people to watch the Oscars, HERE is what they should do:

Nominate ALL of the movies made all year long but do it two months before the awards. They all have to compete for top honors. The directors and cast have to compete in silly stunts. Every week, six of them get voted out.

Then, at the end, when there are only five movies left, the television audience gets to call in and vote for their favorite.
(1-888-OSCAR-01, 1-888-OSCAR-02, etc.) The audience vote counts for 50% of the final score. The other half is comprised of a panel of celebrity judges.

In the end, on Oscar night, the winner is revealed, live, on national television.

Yeah! That will work!

[Big Grin]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-24-2009 11:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, that sounds completely possible.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2009 12:12 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. How much longer is the show going to be? 5 hours instead of 4?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-25-2009 12:45 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They should just get rid of the awards nobody gives a shit about, like Best Foreign Film, Best Documentary and Best Animated Film.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: