Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Kodak To Stop Making Kodachrome ( ! ) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kodak To Stop Making Kodachrome ( ! )
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2009 04:36 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak Retires Kodachrome Color Film After 74-Year Run
By Bloomberg News 7:25 AM PDT, June 22, 2009

(I seem to recall KODAK announced they were going to do this several years ago. It looks like "the end is near"-JC)

NoMoreKodachrome

Eastman Kodak Co., the photography pioneer whose Kodachrome
film inspired Paul Simon's 1973 hit of the same name, said it will retire the 74-year-old product this year after sales dwindled and most labs stopped processing it.

Revenue from Kodachrome represents "a fraction of one percent"
of Kodak's total sales of still-picture films, the company said today in a statement. Kodachrome became the world's first commercially successful color film in 1935, Kodak said.

The Rochester, New York-based company has seen its profitable
film business "evaporate" as digital cameras gained dominance,
Chief Executive Officer Antonio Perez said earlier this year.
The company lost $4.53 billion in market value in 2008 as it
struggled to show investors it had a place in the new technology.

"The majority of today's photographers have voiced their preference to capture images with newer technology -- both film and digital," said Mary Jane Hellyar, Kodak's outgoing president of the film, photofinishing and entertainment group. Kodak derives 70 percent of its revenue from commercial and consumer digital businesses, the company said in the statement.

Photofinishing labs that process Kodachrome film have dwindled
to one worldwide, Dwayne's Photo in Parsons, Kansas, Kodak said.
The lab will offer processing for the film through 2010, and Kodak estimates Kodachrome film supplies will last until "early fall" of this year, according to the statement.

"I love to take a photograph," Paul Simon sang in "Kodachrome,"
which reached second place in 1973 on Billboard's Hot 100 list.
"So mama don't take my Kodachrome away."

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-22-2009 06:05 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, I thought I mentioned here someplace that film is obsolete. Why is this such a surprise?? Having just one lab capable of processing Kodachrome someplace in OZ doesn't help the situation any at all. And after all they only made one batch of the stuff a year... An identical situation some day will happen to film based motion pictures...

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-22-2009 06:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember taking rolls of film to the local pharmacy to be developed back in the day...they used a processor in Billings, but if we had pics we really cared about and didn't mind an extra wait, we would have them sent direct to Kodak for processing - they would look noticably better.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-22-2009 07:09 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Gee, I thought I mentioned here someplace that film is obsolete.
I've searched all the forums Mark and can't find you mentioning anything of the sort anywhere.

[Big Grin]

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2009 08:38 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is this such a surprise??
I didn't detect any "surprise" in Jim's post...

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-23-2009 07:13 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodachrome being a unique product that only Kodak made and only a special process could develop. Unfortunately, it was definitely the best color reversal process ever. In fact, I think it was the most magical film of all time. Look at something shot on Kodachrome...it will look as good today as it did whenever it was shot. Its colors were great too.

However, who is shooting on reversal films today...one of their chief benefits was storage (slides)...that market is all digital.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-23-2009 09:55 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
I've searched all the forums Mark and can't find you mentioning anything of the sort anywhere.

I definately stated that several hundred times somewhere in the digital threads... Brad probably deleted them all...

I liked two lines in the Kodak Press Release of which Jim's link goes to the shortened version... I read a much longer version on some other news site:

70% of the company's revenue is now from digital...

Said they would continue to make film as long as it was feesable(I read that as long as it is profitable)

Now that 30% represents film and other Kodak products and film is probably half or a little less of that 30%. What ever it is today its a pretty small amount of their biz. Not much life left for it at the present pace of technology and the high cost of keeping and operating those coating facilities...

quote: Steve Guttag
However, who is shooting on reversal films today
Quite a few people still do including your's truely. Not to end up playing boreing slide shows for the neighbors though... more with the intent of ending up hanging on the wall via Ilfochrome and other large print processes...

I think it was the most magical film of all time.
I would agree with that line as it pertains to Kodachrome 25... 25 WAS THE ONLY magical Kodachronme in my book but all thats been available for some years now is Kodachrome 64. I never cared much for the latter and never used it. Fuji still has Velvia reversal and that is a very close approximation of Kodachrome 25(its reds being almost identical) and to boot it is ASA 50. All is not lost in photo land yet but when Velvia disapprears thats all for me folks!

Mark

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2009 10:09 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at something shot on Kodachrome...it will look as good today as it did whenever it was shot.
A couple of years ago, when I was visiting my folks who live
in a retirement community I was asked by a neighbor of theirs
who had heard I was some sort of "projector guy" if I could
take a look at an old slide projector he had and get it working.

The problem turned out to be relatively minor and I was then
railroaded into sitting through several trays of Kodachrome
slides this guy had taken on a camping trip with some army
buddies in 1947 when they all got home from the war.
(WWII for those of you who graduated from a CA public school)

My intial impluse to feign a coronary attack to escape was
quickly mitigated when I realized not only was the guy a
decent photographer, but by my amazment at seeing some
of the best colors on screen since the demise of IB Tech!

The brilliance and saturation on these 60+ year old
images was nothing short of breathtaking, even though
they'd spent at least the last decade stored in a hot
closet in a Phoenix apartment.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-23-2009 01:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As noted in another thread I'm busy scanning a bunch of my dad's old color slides, most of which are on Kodachrome film. They look spectacular even though many are nearly 50 years old. I've got a couple of boxes that he shot during the Korean War - haven't gotten to those yet but the couple I've looked at still look great too.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-23-2009 02:21 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
National Public Radio devoted some time yesterday with a news story announcing Kodak's decision to cease production of Kodachrome film. They also had National Geographic photographer Steve McCurry talk about the famous 1984 cover portrait of a Afghan girl he had photographed with Kodachrome film.

Kodachrome was introduced in 1935 and I first used the film when I was still in high school back in the later part of the fifties when the film speed was ASA 12. When I seriously began using the film when I was a student at the Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, the ASA was still 12. I still have almost all of my Kodachrome slides and they still display it's very vibrant colors. I am very proud to say that I had the opportunity to process Kodachrome film when I worked at a Eastman Kodak processing laboratory in Honolulu for almost a year before opening my studio in 1965. Kodachrome is very much like the Technicolor three strip motion picture inhibition process. Unlike the motion picture process that used three strips of film during principle photography with red/blue/green filters and the dye transfer process using yellow/cyan/magenta dyes, Kodachrome film had the YCM dyes added to the film's emulsion during processing.

-Claude

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2009 06:36 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite a few people still do including your's truely. Not to end up playing boreing slide shows for the neighbors though... more with the intent of ending up hanging on the wall via Ilfochrome and other large print processes...

Mark, I can't imagine a show of your slides being boring at all, but an Ilfochrome print of a Velvia slide is incredible! [thumbsup]

Some might say that Kodachrome lost its magic when it went to 25 ASA from 12, but I still like what's left for now, with a roll of KR64 perpetually in one of the stereo cameras. Too bad this will be the last Christmas I get to record in Kodachrome. [Frown]

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2009 07:06 AM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodachrome being a unique product that only Kodak made and only a special process could develop. Unfortunately, it was definitely the best color reversal process ever. In fact, I think it was the most magical film of all time.
It was only in the USA that you had local processing capability; for the rest of the world you needed to send the film to Kodak for processing. I believe that Kodak had to free up processing in the USA due to anti-trust laws. Processing (outside the USA) was "free", as in it was included in the price of the film. You posted the film to Kodak and Kodak posted back your slides. There was a big processing lab in Switzerland that did it all.

Kodak gave up processing Kodachrome a few years ago, directing everyone to Dwaynes. In many European countries the Kodak dropbox probably still works, and certainly a few years back Kodak forward the film to Dwaynes at their expense.

Kodak in the USA had a certification process for labs, which probably involved money changing hands, and some labs being certified, which Kodak (of course) recommended you use. In some sort of last laugh irony, I seem to remember a story that Dwaynes was never a certified lab...

My slides only go back to the sixties, but they are still pristine, just like everyone elses.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2009 12:18 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is actually rather good news, as most photographers who liked to use Kodachrome felt that Kodak wasn't going to do another batch, and that last year's would have been the last one without any fanfare. At least there's notice.

Keep those slides dark and cool, though. Just because the dyes are more permanent doesn't mean they're fade-resistant. Leave one on the window long enough and you'll see what I mean.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2009 02:51 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe Paul Simon will take this news well when he finds out.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-25-2009 03:14 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Canada Kodachrome was only processed by Kodak

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: