Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Have you tried bing?

Author Topic: Have you tried bing?
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-11-2009 04:56 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Microsoft's new search engine bing

So far I'm liking it. Google's search results seem so highly manipulated now that I find it much less accurate than it used to be. I'm also sick of Google-sponsored ads and links on every site on the web (except this one!).

Bing isn't just a repackaged MSN Live if that's what you've heard. Might be worth giving it a try if you haven't already.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-12-2009 11:13 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have rented AUSTRALIA, but I returned it without watching it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-12-2009 12:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Bing?" Sounds like a dumb kids' marble game. Why is it everything has to have a stupid cutesy name these days? Why not a sensible name, like "SearchIt!" or something.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-12-2009 12:25 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..cuz it attracts attention due to the catchy names .. and to make it more "personal"

Look at "Google","Ask","Yahoo" and others.

"Altavista" sorta fizzled away.

Marketed for the young and future generations..

..as with everything else that is popping up new lately..

Sorry Mike, but we're getting slightly pushed out into the "pasture of being forgotten".

-Monte

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2009 12:32 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried it, and I am thoroughly unimpressed. I tried some of my usual searches (electronic parts, software error messages, etc.) and I found the ranking was much less useful than Google, with even more crap pages at the top of the list (which I found surprising). It looks to have some cute handling for some special searches, but for what I need it's worse than Google.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-12-2009 02:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
..cuz it attracts attention due to the catchy names .. and to make it more "personal"

Look at "Google","Ask","Yahoo" and others.

Well, "Google" makes some sense because I think it is derived from 'googol' which is a 1 followed by 100 zeroes...implying you will get lots of results. "Ask" makes some sense too of course. Yahoo? Who knows. But "Bing?" What, was some suit at Microsoft eating a Bing candy bar during the naming meeting?

At least they didn't call it "iSearch." There was probably a temptation.

For the record I gave it a try too. My theatre comes up top of the list when you search "Roxy Forsyth," so I'm happy about that.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-15-2009 02:09 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to work out why David is telling us he rented 'Australia'. [Confused]

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 06-15-2009 09:56 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think he returned it because he had to wash his hair instead. . .

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-15-2009 10:47 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe he clicked reply instead of new topic... there've been a few threads of people saying "I rented [insert movie here]" lately. [Smile]

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-15-2009 11:23 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Sorry Mike, but we're getting slightly pushed out into the "pasture of being forgotten".

I prefer to think of it is Demo'd Out [evil]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-15-2009 12:14 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
I'm trying to work out why David is telling us he rented 'Australia'.

Well my bing thread was getting no response so I figured what the heck, I'll throw in a complete non sequitur related to other current amusing threads. [Razz]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-15-2009 04:39 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All that is Microsoft sucks. All that is Microsoft has always sucked and will always suck forever. Microsoft sucks simply because it exists.

And, yes, I have tried the site. Not impressed.

If you want to see an interesting search engine project you should take a look at Wolfram Alpha.

http://www88.wolframalpha.com/

It is a computational search engine. In other words it does not simply find information. It looks in its database and calculates responses.

Type in your name and it will tell you the statistical probability of your name, how many people in the world are expected to have your name and the average age, based on population statistics, of all the people in the world who have your name.

If, at any time, you want, click on a link (at the right side of the page and it will dump you out to a Google search of your input terms.

The site is still in its infancy but it is well worth taking a look at. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: