Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » New rock band "CHICKENFOOOT" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: New rock band "CHICKENFOOOT"
Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2009 10:44 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe Satriani: Guitars
Chad Smith: Drums
Micheal Athony: Bass
Sammy Hagar: Vocals

Dics just came out.

If you like Rock & Roll you may want to check them out.

|  IP: Logged

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2009 11:07 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard this yet, but we were surprised at the store to find out that the cover is heat sensitive. And so is the LP. Hopefully that gimmick isn't the only good thing about the cd...

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2009 12:49 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So a bunch of aging guys without jobs get together to form what should be a "super group" in an effort to make some more cash? Anyone remember Damn Yankees? I'm not too excited. The Hagar years of Van Halen were unimpressive, as was his solo work, nobody has ever accused Michael Anthony or Chad Smith of being great at what they do and Joe Satriani, while a very talented guitarist, has just never been a good song writer. I'm guessing their album consists of a few rockin tunes with some dirty innuendos, a couple power ballads and something that is so deep and meaningful and important it just might change the world... Basically, it should be a typical Van Hagar record. I'll likely pass.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-11-2009 12:51 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, the "Red Rocker" is out of his cage again...hope he can still "Drive 55" after "The Waboritas"

David Lee Roth was "van Halen" - Haggar was a distant second.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2009 05:52 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Clint Koch
Dics just came out.
Quite a typo there.

Being a fan of Joe Satriani, I will take a listen to this.
My guess is that with these 'harsh economic times', they gotta pay some bills. Especially the ones who haven't worked in a while.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-11-2009 11:13 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX-OwmvuBjA

Me like. I'm gonna pick up a copy.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2009 01:20 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, that song sounds like someone put a quarter in the Hasbro My First Rock Song machine and this is what it spit out. I lost count of how many times Sammy screams after about 7. Or maybe I nodded off. Is it 1985 already?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-12-2009 01:26 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe Satriani isn't out of work. He is almost always touring.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-12-2009 11:12 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Satriani is one hell of a player, but I think he did his best work on Surfing with the Alien roughly 20 years ago.

The name "chickenfoot" is sort of funny. At least they didn't call their band camel toe.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-12-2009 03:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's another "super"group out there too: Tinted Windows. It features Cheap Trick's drummer, Bun E. Carlos, and Taylor Hansen (from the band Hansen) on vocals, James Iha (Smashing Pumpkins) on guitar and Adam Schlesinger (Fountains of Wayne) on bass. If you like Cheap Trick's style of music you might like this.

http://www.tintedwindowsmusic.com for some sound samples.

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2009 08:52 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chad,

Exuseme me, maybe you might try and listen to them before you spout off...

quote: Chad Souder
So a bunch of aging guys without jobs get together to form what should be a "super group" in an effort to make some more cash? Anyone remember Damn Yankees? I'm not too excited. The Hagar years of Van Halen were unimpressive, as was his solo work, nobody has ever accused Michael Anthony or Chad Smith of being great at what they do and Joe Satriani, while a very talented guitarist, has just never been a good song writer. I'm guessing their album consists of a few rockin tunes with some dirty innuendos, a couple power ballads and something that is so deep and meaningful and important it just might change the world... Basically, it should be a typical Van Hagar record. I'll likely pass.
None of them need the money. Maybe you should look into it before you spout your GOD like opinion.

Have you even heard to the disc?

[ 06-12-2009, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2009 09:09 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The group seems to be making Clint type like Yoda talks, so I checked it out.
Quite good.
This is what I refer to as "freeway music", the type of rock which makes good "background" for driving down I-40 in Oklahoma City (while listening to KATT) or Central or LBJ in Dallas (while listening to the ZOO). During the 80s, of course, when the ZOO (The ZEW?) existed and KATT dominated rock radio, when the music and the broadcast signals were quality.
(sighhhhh...)

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2009 06:10 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Clint Koch
Have you even heard to the disc?
I think I know what you're asking. I have listened to the entire album - at least 30 seconds of each song that iTunes and Amazon has as samples. I'm certainly not going to pay for any of the songs from what I've heard thus far and I disagree with illegal song downloading and literally nobody I know has bought it, so I don't have a disc to listen to. Youtube does have a couple complete songs. The first single released to radio, "Oh Yeah" is getting no play time on our local rock stations, so that's not helping either.

And to show what I was talking about...

Rockin' tunes with dirty stuff in them: Soap on a Roap, Sexy Little Thing, Down the Drain, Oh Yeah, probably more
Power Ballads: Learning to Fall (I think the only one on the album surprisingly)
Something deep and meaningful and important: Future in the Past (not 100% sure of this title - their website has it this way but Amazon and iTunes both have it as "Future is the Past" and it sounds like he's saying "Future's in the Past" so who knows. Regardless, it sucks.

Oh look! They turned the K around backwards on their album cover! How cool and different! Look, if you like it, great. More power to you. And no, I don't know if they really need money or not. To me, it's just not good music. If mediocrity was a crime, these guys would all be on the lam after putting out this album.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-15-2009 01:53 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chad Souder
And no, I don't know if they really need money or not. To me, it's just not good music.
And to me, you judged them as being losers who are desperate for money with knowing little to nothing about the members.

And with juxtaposing the mention of money along with you saying it's not good music, it seems like you're trying to say "I thought they needed the money because these songs suck so much" when in reality you made the money claim before having listened to any of the songs.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2009 07:59 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More power to you if you enjoy this.
But I gotta agree with Souder. This disc sounds like bland crap. I listened to all the samples on Amazon and checked out the youtube link for Soap on a Rope. I wouldn't even call this passable entertainment. This is the kind of generic stuff that led to the death of 80s rock in the 90s. Hell, I wouldnt even listen to this stuff on the car radio because I would fear falling asleep on the road.

Maybe if I was in a bar , and some no name band played this music, i may consider this ok ambient music. Or I may just ask the band to quiet down and just do some covers of better songs.

Sammy Hagar shouldn't do music after he turns 55.

The perfect description for this album: If you made a compilation of filler songs that populated many rock albums in the 80s, this is it. There is not one song that would be non-filler level.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: