Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Converting a whole bunch of color slides

Author Topic: Converting a whole bunch of color slides
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-09-2009 05:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My dad used to take slides, not "pictures." There are literally thousands of slides at my parents' house. I would like to find a way to digitize those slides but I hate to send them all to a "conversion service" because...well I'm cheap and I fear losing them.

In computer equipment, all I've ever seen is these dopey little machines that convert slides one at a time. Doesn't anyone make a scanner that'll do a whole group of slides in one pass? Anybody ever heard of such a beast?

EDIT: Okay, I've found a few scanners that will do, maybe FOUR at a time. I would think there'd be something that could do a dozen or more....anybody?

|  IP: Logged

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2009 08:50 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife purchased this to scan hundreds of seventies and eighties slides. It's a standalone and scans to a memory card. You can then transfer the images to the computer or disc or whatever. It's done a great job. (Look at various websites.)

Filmscan35 II Slide and Negative Scanner -Standalone

http://photovideo.com.au/filmscan35-slide-and-negative-scanner-standalone-p-5246.html

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-09-2009 10:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, but I am hoping to find one that'll do maybe 12 at a time. That machine does only one at a time. I have probably at least 2000 to do. My family has given me a mandate!

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2009 06:54 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike i purchased one of those HP photos scanners that has the strip for holding 4 slides , however i cannot see any reason you cant cover the whole scanning bed with slides the software identifies what is pic and what is boarder so it should be time efficient. the Hp does a very good job as well.
 -
the attached image is from a very old slide of my family .(before and touch up work was done)incidentally i am the baby in the pic. The old dakota in the back ground used to service the town by landing on a dried up salt lake as there was no airfield.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-13-2009 09:28 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Covering the whole scan bed won't work because slides have to be back-lit to be scanned. My scanner has a device that holds 4 slides so I've started my project using that. It works pretty well...I scan 4, then do whatever work is necessary on those four while the next four are being scanned. I keep a magazine handy in case of lag time while the scanning is happening. But I still would like to find something that'd let me scan, say 20 at a time.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-13-2009 11:03 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't mind the loss of resolution scanning so many slides at once, that would be fine.

Personally, I would put up with the upfront inconvenience and scan them one at a time on a scanner built for doing 35mm slides or negs. Even for just snapshots I'd want the max res available for later digital manipulation, assuming the intent was for archiving.

But that's just me.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-13-2009 12:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm doing the 4-up at the highest resolution the scanner offers (it's not in front of me and I forget what DPI it is) but it takes it about 2 minutes to scan the 4 slides. They're turning out very nice. Of course we'll keep the originals, which are all stored in those Kodak carousel doohickeys.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-13-2009 04:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, It would take gobs of time to get a job like that done... I'd send em out. You'll also get better quality images than if you tried to do it yourself. Then when you install D-Cinema at your theater you can play back slide shows through the DVI input!!!

Here ya go Phil.... wasn't high enough rez for me to remove the dust... dust is the biggest pain when transfering old pics.
 -

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-13-2009 04:55 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't used it, but the Braun Multimag SlideScan 4000 will do up to 100 slides at a time. It comes with a hefty price tag of $1700.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-13-2009 08:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] I guess I need the Braun Multimag Slidescan 4000 Junior! If they would just make one.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2009 03:11 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Phil!

I don't mean to hijack the thread but isn't that a DC-3 in the background? You know some of those things are still being used around the world. It's one of the most rugged aircraft Douglas ever built.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-14-2009 03:17 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about the "Pacific Image PowerSlide 3650"? It scans batches of 50 35mm slides at a time, and available for $723 at B&H Photo. There is supposedly a $100 rebate for it, too, but I don't know the details.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2009 10:34 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks mark , the actual image was scanned at high res but i reduced it to post it here.

quote: Robert E. Allen
I don't mean to hijack the thread but isn't that a DC-3 in the background?
yes it sure is MMA used dakotas widely over Western Australia in the 60's alot of towns they serviced had no proper airstrips, . My pic was taken on a salt lake in Norseman WA a small mining town in the middle of now where, with no airstrip. The DC3 was the best aircraft for the job.
When the took off from the salt lake they would park the dakota at one end with brakes of rev it up till the tail came off the ground the let here go.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: