Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Is there intelligent life on.....craigslist?

Author Topic: Is there intelligent life on.....craigslist?
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2009 10:39 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not believe so. Certainly no one with a dictionary that is capable of looking up the definition of negotiate.

|  IP: Logged

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2009 12:34 AM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel your frustration. I put up my full tube stage guitar amplifier and an artist signature model guitar to sell. With the amp, I got a few emails telling me they'd pay half of what I was asking but in cash... I was only going to accept cash, and I already priced the used amp $100 less than it was worth. The guitar... the (sadly) best offer I got was someone curious if I was open to a trade, then I was sent a picture of a knock off brand guitar with a rebel flag paint job. FML.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2009 01:20 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found an ad the other day wherein some guy was trying to trade a few cases of 30 year old "Harley Davidson" beer for a moped. I guess it is collectible? It would taste awful. I've seen far more idiotic things in my 5 years of perusing craigslist, and I actually have a thread on another forum to document my favorite ads, but this one was still pretty good.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-13-2009 02:01 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craigslist.

Isn't that where you go online to book a whore?

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2009 08:24 AM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Isn't that where you go online to book a whore?
Only in Rhode Island or Massachusetts

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2009 10:37 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife likes to sell my things. Since I have married her a couple of years ago, I am now in possession of only my kitchen, dining table and bed. Everything else has been given away, traded away or sold. To be fair, she has gotten rid of half her stuff as well. Our house is no longer an homage to Southwestern style but a nice modernist.

She gave my furniture to the homeless, such was her opinion if it. She gave half my cloths to Goodwill. She gave most of my books to the library.

Then we had a yard sale and made $1,500 which wasn't too bad.

We sold the rest on craigslist.

I found that it's best to donate that which has little instrinsic value. Who buys cloths or books at a yard sale?

Kitchen stuff, tools and small household furnishings work well at a yard sale. Also old out of date cheap electronics work well. I sold 2 CRT TVs at last week's yard sale, for $20 each. Not bad one week before they become officially obsolete.

We used craigslist for larger pieces of furniture and bikes that wouldn't sell for as much at a yard sale. Yard Sale prices tend to be less that $20 where as you can get $100 - $500 on craigslist. The caviat is that nothing was special or too valuable. Anything with special value might do better on e-bay or the like. Also a specialty site where the audience knows what the hell you are talking about help. Guitar collector forums and the like.

My neighbor is moving to Chicago and needed to sell one car. The Land Rover LR2 was getting no takers but the Pathfinder was sold in less than 12-hours on craigslist.

Housing rentals seem to do very well on craigslist. We rented our unit in a reasonable time on craigslist.

craigslist is the classified ads of our times and is not the place to sell something of value. But is a great place to unload things.

Is there intelligent life on craigslist? There is average intelligence on craigslist, but I wouldn't vote them in to Mensa.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-13-2009 10:51 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who is this Craig anyway?

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-13-2009 11:22 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Craig Newmark

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 06-15-2009 11:35 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently their original office is down the street from my house in San Francisco. I think it's just used for storage or something cause nobody ever goes in there.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2009 07:14 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was selling some screen printing equipment, I had a four color press for sale for $200. I got tons of emails from people that just said "I will give you $100 for it." Not, will you take $100, or is the price negotiable. Keep in mind that you can make your $200 back in about an hour and a half. I always ask them to give me reasons why they think their offering price is reasonable. Most often I get no reply, but sometimes....I had one guy say he would only give me $175 for it because he had to drive 60 miles to come pick it up. Shouldn't I be going up on the price if people are coming in from out of tow to look at it?

Another one, I have a pair of linesman electrical gloves on there for $70, I paid $120 for them and only used them once, and some guy emailed me and asked if I would take $60, I told him I would take $65 if he came and got them. Never heard from him again, I guess getting them at 49% off was a ripoff compared to 50% off.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2009 11:42 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've sent emails to people listing a variety of old commuter motorcycles for the past couple of days, and no one can seem to send me a simple reply so I can come give them a large wad of cash. I don't understand posting an item if you can't be bothered to return emails answering simple questions that you didn't cover in the ad.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2009 08:58 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a bike, but now I'm having frustration on the other end. I'm trying to sell a Nikon D100 plus vertical grip and two batteries and a charger, with an asking price of $320. Some guy keeps sending me stupid lowball offers and telling me he just bought one for $150. Mine is in excellent condition, and a comparable setup less one battery is listed on KEH Cameras for $409.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-13-2009 09:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm, I just sold my Nikon D100 with a 4 lenses for $1500 last month on ebay. Tell that guy to [Moon]

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2009 09:46 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but what lenses? I paid about $550-600 for what I'm selling two years ago, and I think $300 is about reasonable now. No way I would sell at that kind of loss any of my primes or constant aperture zooms. The nature of DSLR bodies is falling values, which is fine by me, because I'm planning on getting a D200 and using that until it can't be used anymore.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: