Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 16mm enthusiasts here? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: 16mm enthusiasts here?
Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2009 09:05 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if many people on here are into 16mm collection. For those of you that are, I found a cool resource for getting "house trailers". He runs a website (don't get mad at me for posting an external link) http://www.16mmdrive-infilms.com/

What he has done is obtained a bunch of negatives and he's having them printed on new film.

I picked up some stuff from him and I'm pretty happy with them (especially since you don't really know what condition things really are in on auction sites).

So what I got was some house trailers on Kodak film stock.

The quality of what you get seems to depend on the quality of his negative or what he's duping. Some of it had a green tinge (faded negative??) and some of them carried over the warm red. Pretty good dupes considering what you can normal get. Audio was good too. Everything he has is suppose to be open domain too.

Anyways, excellent addition to your collection if you like having backyard movie nights or people over to watch your 16's

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-16-2009 11:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid my grandpa had a 16mm sound projector. I have no idea why he got it - I think he was just a gadget freak (I guess that's where I got that trait) and it was a cool new thing, so he had to have it.

I eventually "borrowed" it from him and set it up in my bedroom with a few chairs and created a small "theatre" in there. I used to book movies from Modern Talking Picture Service. I even hand-drew my own monthly calendar and hung it on my bedroom door. I would cajole my parents to "come to the show" and sometimes they even would.

As you can easily tell from this post, I was an even worse nerd as a kid than I am now.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-16-2009 11:26 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My dad used to be a school teacher when was in kindergarten, he would bring home the school's B&H 16mm (an old 175, dual case model) and we would watch films as a family what the school was showing that day.

I now have 3, 16mm's - 2B&H's and an RCA and a quite of stash of film. Yet, my friend in Boise has a mini theatre setup in his family room at his house-including, booth setup for digital, 16mm, 35mm and old wood back theatre chairs that he's restored.

Quite
Dang! did I get hooked...and what got me into this field

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2009 11:57 PM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I myself didn't get into 16mm until after i had been working in cinemas for a while. I know a lot of folks on here have 35mm setups at home... but I don't have the space in my house and my wife would kill me. I don't mind showing vintage films, and I like having people come over to see it (most of my friends seem to think I just press play on a DVD player all day?!??!). It gives them a taste of film. I do however get a kick out of hearing "why not bring home movies from work and show them on this". The 16mm does make it easy to show inside or outside, and the films don't take up much space to store.
I have a B&H 2585 (which you see in my user pic). I picked up a pretty good ISCO zoom lens for it too.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2009 01:57 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you really want to talk to 16mm enthusiasts go to www.16mmfilmtalk.com

I've owned six 16mm machines in the last 10 years (B&H & Eiki). Sold them all.

Paavo Mardi
Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2009 04:24 AM      Profile for Paavo Mardi   Email Paavo Mardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also collect 16mm movies, but they are pretty hard to find now. If I show movies to my friends in open air, I pretty often hear that "Oh, we just throwed away hundreds of films". Years ago there was a state owned distribution company in Estonia. When it was privatized the new owners only cared about real estate which was given to them. Film distribution was discontinued. After a couple of years they throwed out all prints they had. Thousands of 16mm and 35mm prints from all over the world.

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2009 08:25 AM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert E. Allen
If you really want to talk to 16mm enthusiasts go to www.16mmfilmtalk.com
I actually tried signing up for that forum once or twice, but they never activated my account [Frown] I thought Maybe they only want US members?

Most of the 16mm stuff I've acquired is from ebay.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2009 11:47 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a monster 16mm collection until 1999, when 35mm reared its incredibly beautiful head before me. I sold 99% of the 16mm stuff I had, and paid off lots of bills.

The 16mmforum is a great place for enthusiasts. I recommend it.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-17-2009 05:11 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Jarret, I have several 16mm projectors including mag playback/recording projectors and xenon light source ones... and many films... Been collecting 16mm since I was 15...still do, and also collect 35mm for the last 20 years...many, MANY prints!

I wonder if you know about the history of the failures of the nylon worm-gear in your particular model projector? It's a well-known problem of the B&H projectors including your model.

Please email me your full-size/high resolution Film Tech ICON Pic and any other pics of yourself including any nude ones. I promise NOT to spread them around the inet. [Smile]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-18-2009 04:42 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bruce McGee
The 16mmforum is a great place for enthusiasts.
I totally disagree. The whole site is infested with torch-carrying jerks that will continully harass and force a person to leave and/or defend themselves just cuz the mob perceives certain users are "not on their team" and have different opinions.

While there are some really great and knowledgeable people there, there is also a shitload of MANY asswipes that slam any user that DARE to post an opposing opinion.

What's worse, is the Administrator is total waste and jerk that condones the behavior of the "IN" Click and allows slams of many genuine people including gays, Chistians, and whoever else...

If you feel you must go there, be carefull of what you post and be on guard for the jerks.

I would stay clear of that POS site and the users/people that slam and degrade people.

There are many other BETTER sites available like Brad's 8mm one that also includes 16mm forums.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-18-2009 07:06 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
The whole site is infested with torch-carrying jerks that will continully harass and force a person to leave and/or defend themselves just cuz the mob perceives certain users are "not on their team" and have different opinions.

While there are some really great and knowledgeable people there, there is also a shitload of MANY asswipes that slam any user that DARE to post an opposing opinion.

The same could be said about this forum. [Roll Eyes]

FT 8mm Forum + IMAX

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-18-2009 07:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
And yet the little FT based 8mm/16mm forum just sits and purrs along quietly with everyone happy all the time. I can't even remember the last time there was an argument over there.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-18-2009 08:25 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
I can't even remember the last time there was an argument over there.
I think it's because they still have 'signatures' enabled on their forum. [Razz]

Really, we never argue here...do we? [Wink]

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2009 09:17 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes we do [Mad]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-19-2009 04:28 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adam Martin
The same could be said about this forum.
Good call ya Brute! [thumbsup]

But in general, the people here are more professional, not as mean and vindictive.

Those on the 16mm forum are a bunch of whiners and witch-hunters that I'm sure smell their fingers after rubbing their crotch.

There is soooo much mis-information spread there by the self-appointed "experts" on that lame site that I need to make a ham sandwich just to get thru it all...

I think Larry, the administrator, tries his best, but he seems to be bullied by the mob-carrying torch group.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: