Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Charles "Bud" Tingwell dies at 86

Author Topic: Charles "Bud" Tingwell dies at 86
Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2009 07:36 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Australian movie legend Charles "Bud" Tingwell passed away today aged 86. He had been suffering from prostate cancer however I never remember hearing about it. He will be missed.

ABC Article

|  IP: Logged

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2009 09:26 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a kid I remember him playing the cranky farmer in the British Tv series Catweasel.

RIP Bud

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2009 08:14 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bud Tingwell was an old family friend. My mother was once a flatmate with Audrey his eventual wife. When I came home from my mothers funeral yesterday, I learn't that Bud had also died! Both in their 80's and passing within days of each other. Both struck down suddenly whist enjoying life and dying in hospital within two weeks of being admitted.

I have childhood memories of the stories my mother told about Bud and Audrey. A favorite was my mums account of their wedding in 1951. Apparently Audreys parents (I guess understandably) were not fond of the idea of her marrying a shell shocked ex RAF pilot who wanted to be an actor (before Australia even had a film industry!) Chips Rafferty was, according to my mum, guarding the door to the church in case her parents turned up to stop the ceremony!

When I was visiting Melbourne in 1989, I looked them up and had one of the most memorable nights of my life, A simple dinner at their place. What was truely remarkable was the way they held hands and giggled as they told me of there life story.

Hollywood in the 50's with Errol Flynn and Richard Burton. In the 1960's London, stories of Miss Marple Films and crazy pyrotechnicians on a Tarzan movie "if you look at the wide shot you will see me running, the other actors being far more professional than I got their hair singed! I'm sure I have some footage of it in super 8 in the garage". Long running television series, live productions and parties in Golders Green.

In the early 70's returning to Australia to work for Crawfords at the birth of colour television production, eventually also producing and directing. The stories continued into the early hours.

Personally what struck me most was not his incredible career, but the love that he and his wife still shared ofter 38 years of marrage. It was truly a beautiful sight.

Audrey died in 1996. I hope now they will be together again.

RIP Bud, I will miss our occasional phone calls. You were a true gentleman. I am sure all that met him would have similar fond memories of an unforgettable man.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-18-2009 06:36 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said, Cam. [thumbsup]

When you didn't mention anything at the funeral I thought it best not to tell you. I'm glad I didn't. You already had enough on your plate.

The RITZ CINEMA has a 'Walk Of Fame' in the footpath outside the cinema where Mr. Tingwell has a plaque in the pavement. There have been flowers and cards left there for him since the sad news broke.

RIP Bud. You really are a national treasure.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-19-2009 06:36 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those in Australia, ABC1 is replaying a special on Bud tonight.

--------

Tuesday's TV: Bud Tingwell Tribute

Bud Tingwell: A Tribute
ABC1, 10pm

This repeat of a 2005 episode of Talking Heads was rushed into the schedule late last week when news broke that the much-loved actor Charles "Bud" Tingwell has died of cancer at the age of 86. Interviewed by Peter Thompson, Tingwell looks back over a successful film and television career and a life well lived.

-

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-19-2009 08:13 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In yet another supremely poor effort by smh.com.au, it appears the special was actually on last night.

Yes folks, for yesterdays news...you can rely on www.smh.com.au [thumbsdown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: