Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Where can I learn about film projection?

Author Topic: Where can I learn about film projection?
Tom Hayes
Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2009 12:03 AM      Profile for Tom Hayes   Email Tom Hayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've posted on this forum several times before, mainly with complaints about film projection in San Diego.

Are there any books, videos, or classes that someone can take who might want to know more about film projection, but who does not want to pursue a job as a projectionist?

I'm interested in knowing how the system works generally, the types of projectors, how things work, but I'm too old, and too lazy, to get a part time job at a theatre.

Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2009 02:24 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your in the right place, just start searching the site. You'll find all kinds of things under the Tips section that will give you a better understand of how everything works.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-11-2009 03:07 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, generally speaking, there are no formal classes in projection that I am aware of..I did however do lectures on projection technologies at UC Irvine some years ago...

There are two excellent (but very old) books (anyone remember those? They had paper and stuff printed on them and don't require internet or batteries) on projection, including optical theory (VERY important to have that understanding).

They are:

Robert A Mitchell's Manual of Practical Projection (1956)

and

Motion Picture Projection by James R. Cameron (I have the Fourth Edition, 1928, it is over 1250 pages and has lots of cool info and shows some facinating equipment, like the Mechau Projector.)

Despite the book's ages, the information for the most part is still as valid today. Remember that the actual film projector hasn't changed much from the early days..the real updates were with light sources (Xenon arcs) and sound (Stereo, Dolby, then Digital).

Another possibility is to try to track down a theatre with an old-timer Union operator and get to know him. The really good old-school guys have a LOT of valuable knowledge and are often willing to share with someone who wants to learn.

If I ever get my lecture notes and slides updated to a Powerpoint I'll send a copy to Brad for the warehouse. [Smile]

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2009 12:47 AM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Tony on the two books listed. The older books will give you an added understanding of when and why things are the way they are today. Most of that information is forgotten now.

Another useful and fun resource are trade magazines from the past, particularly BoxOffice and Motion Picture Exhibitor. Often they had in-depth articles on the latest technologies.

Nothing beats first-hand experience, though. Taking some courses on electronics and engineering will help, too.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 05-12-2009 05:11 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the best book around would be the "SMPTE Motion Picture and Presentation Manual". My copy is from 1979 and is falling apart so it may be a candidate for scanning and posting here (assuming copyright wont be violated). Brad may be able to clarify this point.

Cheers
Ian

Tom Hayes
Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2009 07:45 PM      Profile for Tom Hayes   Email Tom Hayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to try to locate some of those books.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: