Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » I need some help having a projector dolly made.

Author Topic: I need some help having a projector dolly made.
Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2009 08:23 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys, I'm having a dolly made up for my projector. I am away from it for a few days but I'm eager to get some specifications sent away, and to get some general advice.

The dolly is for a Simplex 5 point. I decided to have a platform dolly made rather than bolting casters in the holes already in the legs as this may cause too much stress at too few a points, and I have heard about the cast bases cracking.

I am interested to hear about your opinions concerning the center of gravity and placement of wheels. I am using an RCA 1050 so the projectors COG is seemingly quite far forward. I am also using an extremely small lamphouse, is this an issue, or would the best placement be the obvious directly below the feet?

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-04-2009 08:49 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have different bases, but when I set up something like this I ordered some furniture dollys from Grainger (an industrial supplier in the US) that had solid top surfaces. Mine are Grainger part number 2W451 and are rated for 1000 lbs. capacity. They were only about $60 each.

I was able to attach one base to one dolly, but you may need to attach two dollies together, unless you can find one big enough to hold a 5-point base.

If you have good woodworking skills and tools already (I don't), you might be able to build something that is better and/or less expensive.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2009 08:22 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have known people who have bolted casters onto 5-point pedestals with no problems. And the mounted equipment included an Simplex E-7, RCA 9050, Magnarc and 6000 magazines. A significant amount of weight.

The key is to inspect the underside of the pedestal casting. The 3 and 5 point pedestals WITHOUT the cast webbing WILL fail. The 5-point pedestals WITH the webbing should be ok.

But remember a basic law of physics about using a large surface area to evenly distribute a concentrated load.

Regards

Will Kutler

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2009 04:32 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah its pre-webbing, looks like its platform for me. Thanks for the help guys

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-05-2009 01:36 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad you're not on a standard Simplex LL-series pedestal, as I have a dolly design that is simply awesome, it adds only about 1/2" to the overall height of the machine. I got that dolly from an old-school projectionist many years ago, he couldn't remember who had designed or made it.

With that dolly a 100-pound girl can easily move a fully configured projector and lamp combo around easily.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-05-2009 07:40 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BACP has a track system for moving and maintaining projector alignment, check their site.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: