Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Pig Flu (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Pig Flu
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-30-2009 02:58 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well? We have a handful of confirmed cases about five miles from my house. Time for some plastic and duct tape to quarantine my house I guess... or rather quarantine the outside world.

What's going on in your area?

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-30-2009 03:18 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am concerned about this but I also think it is nothing to worry about. People are blowing this thing way out of proportion.

We have seen flu epidemics and pandemics before. There was the Asian flu in the 50's. There was the Hong Kong flu in the 60's. In the 70's there were outbreaks of swine flu and Russian flu in the 70's. There were several outbreaks of bird flu and variants of Asian flu all throughout the 80's and 90's. The current outbreak of swine flu is just another in a long line of flu outbreaks.

The world didn't end on any of those outbreaks. It's not going to end this time either.

My advice is to watch your health, eat the right foods, wash your hands a lot and avoid being around people who might be sick.

The BEST thing you can do is to stop watching the news! [Wink]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-30-2009 04:12 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More people die from the regular flu each year. I am more concerned with catching a cold. It's just the news media trying to get everyone to watch/read. They love to blow things out of proportion. It's how they stay in business. Fear mongering = $$$.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 04-30-2009 04:56 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pig Flu Over The Cookoos Nest??? [evil]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-30-2009 04:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read the other day that over 10,000 people have died from the regular strains of flu so far this year. I had it a week ago myself! In typical fashion the media is eating this one up... They got ham here but absolutely no cheese!

Mark

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-30-2009 06:00 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More horseshit and fear mongering from the sorry assed completely worthless federal government and news? media

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-30-2009 06:37 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found it most ironic that Time magazine ran an article that said that our government's vaccination program in response to the 1976 Swine Flu outbreak was an example of how not to respond to the flu AND that we should consider more draconian responses to this current one.

Essentially, they're saying "The draconian response in 1976 shows us how not to do the job right and we should right now consider doing the same exact things they did." [uhoh]

FFS, more people died as a result of the vaccine than the fucking Swine Flu and lots of the people who didn't die instead got paralyzed.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-30-2009 07:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Its this guy's fault.

-

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-30-2009 07:42 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little pig snot should provide immunity same as a flu vaccine.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2009 08:15 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the World Health Orginization, there have only been 7 confirmed deaths caused by swine flu, all in Mexico. The major media would have you believe hundreds have died.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-30-2009 09:43 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the only legitimate concern about the swine flu is that it could mutate into a new strain as it passes from person to person. The worry is a new strain would be more difficult for a person's immune system to fight. The good news is the flu season is all but over with the weather getting warm. I think the media got hold of this news after the disease had run much of its course.

Garden variety influenza causes around 20,000 deaths in the United States every year, although some estimates go as high as 60,000. I saw some statistic a couple days ago that said upwards of half a million people worldwide die from complications brought on by influenza every year.

Locally, no one here in Lawton has come down with swine flu. AFAIK there have been no confirmed cases in Oklahoma. A couple of students in Wichita Falls turned up positive for it. So the school systems went ape shit and canceled lots of athletic events, school functions and then just shut down school.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-30-2009 10:28 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
The good news is the flu season is all but over with the weather getting warm.
For your hemisphere maybe. [Eek!]

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2009 10:53 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are bound to be scores of UNREPORTED cases of "Swine Flu" as some of us don't usually go to the doctor when we get sick.
What can a doctor really do? It's a viral infection. Chicken Soup and bed rest.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2009 11:07 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not concerned. This flu "pandemic" is being way less blown out of proportion than the recent bird flu, meaning it is way less dangerous. Since it is less dangerous than the bird flu, and I didn't die of that, I obviously can't die of this strain of flu. Remember how the bird flu was supposed to infect 100,000,000 Americans, and prove fatal to 50,000,000? Oh yeah.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-30-2009 11:28 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I don't remember that. [Confused]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: