Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Computer keeps booting (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Computer keeps booting
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2009 09:48 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suck with computers so maybe this is an easy fix for everyone out there. I have a Gateway desktop. My son was playing with it the other day and now all it does is basically try to boot up and reset and boot again. It never finishes though. I get the screen that says "Window shut down unexpectedly........." then it gives the choice of continuing in safe mode.......last known config that worked.........and all that. No matter what mode I try, It just keeps resetting. Any help would be greatly appreciated......Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-27-2009 10:46 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This problem sounds similar to what one of my friends is going through with an old Dell Dimension desktop. In my friend's case, I think that PC may be infected with some sort of virus. That's because it started doing all the not booting into Windows BSOD nonsense immediately after he tried downloading some kind of business software off Limewire. "I warned you about those file sharing places." Oh well.

There's two simple solutions I can offer:

1. If there is no data on the hard drive that will be missed, format it. Erase everything and install Windows over again clean.

2. Remove the hard drive from the desktop PC, install it into an external hard disc enclosure. Attach it to a different computer with all the latest updates to Windows and a good anti-virus/security application. Run a virus scan on the attached drive. Then back up any valuable data off that hard disc. And then consider doing what I said in option #1. Or at least defragment it.

Online sites like Newegg and Tiger Direct sell external hard drive enclosures that will accommodate 3.5" and 2.5" drives, as well as support old IDE drives and newer SATA hard discs. An old SCSI drive may be more difficult to save.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-27-2009 10:59 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Bobby. It's either a virus, a crunched OS or, likely, a little of both.

As much as there are programs that promise to remove viruses and repair crunched systems, you can never be sure your system is 100% unless you erase and reinstall from scratch.

Like Bobby says, extract all your "stuff" from the HD, either by booting from the system "rescue" disk or by removing the drive and attaching it to another machine. Copy all your stuff to another computer or an external drive. Wipe and reinstall.

Yes, it's a pain in the ass. Yes, you might be able to nurse the computer back to health without going through all that. But, if you don't, you are essentially sitting on a ticking time bomb, waiting for something to go wrong again.

Take the time to do a thorough job and you will be able to breathe easier knowing your computer runs the way you expect it to with no surprises.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-27-2009 11:38 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Try booting up with the Windows install CD and choose to repair the installation.

Since you can't boot in safe mode, you may have to boot up with the Windows install CD and choose a new install. If you have to do a new install, there's a possibility you will lose your My Documents files.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 04-28-2009 01:47 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have anything in the CD/DVD remove that and manually turn off and then turn on the computer. I have had this issue before and from what I recall that should do the trick. In any case choosing the "last known config that worked" after taking the CD/DVD out.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2009 02:56 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I helped a friend last week with the same symptoms. His occurred just after getting some software update (?) that required a restart. It died. We had to reload Windows with the format option because the repair function didn't fix the problem. The good news is Windows XP doesn't go through a zillion updates anymore. One update and then straight to SP3. If your on Vista, I haven't a clue on updates. Good advice given above to try and recover your data before you wipe the drive. Good luck.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2009 03:57 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My computer at the drive-in has/had the exact same symptoms. It would just constantly reboot over and over, never actually making it to the desktop.

I took the hard drive out, put it in an external shell and hooked it up to my computer here at the office. Once I hooked it up to my office PC, it would just reboot the office PC over and over. I even tried resetting the jumper on the rear of the drive from master to slave and still got nothing.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2009 04:31 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same thing happened to a friend's office computer. It was a 4 year-old Dell which was receiving automatic updates from Microsoft. He came in one morning and it was doing the endless boot cycles. We managed to start it in "safe mode" and run a "System Restore" to take it back about a week. This seems to have cleared up the problem but we WILL NOT run automatic updates on that machine anymore.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2009 04:34 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of good advice. This is my area of expertise now.

Try to boot up in Safe Mode with Networking. You would get to the boot options by pressing F8 at the very beginning of the boot process. If you can't do that try Adam's suggestion of booting to the Windows OS disc and selecting the repair option. If it's still dead you may need to follow Bobby's suggestion and have the drive scanned by removing it and attaching it to another computer.

In any case once you get it up and running be sure to install an up-to-date anti-virus program. Another excellent application that I highly recommend (and you can try it for free) is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Download it at:

Malwarebytes Site

Install it and update it and run a full scan and delete anything it finds. And for Pete's sake keep your kid off of the file sharing sites!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-28-2009 07:29 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you can't get it to boot in safe mode, you could try booting a cdrom that's got some anti-virus software.

And one such cd from is available at http://www.ubcd4win.com/
It's got AVG Free, AVPersonal, Avast, Kaspersky VRT, and McAfee Stinger. And it's also got a few anti-spyware softwares as well.

Though it's possible for constant rebooting to be a hardware problem, but one wouldn't expect it to get as far in the process as you've described if it were.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2009 10:06 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone. I tried Jen's idea. No good. Tried booting from the Windows XP cd. I Get as far as the repair option. When I select repair, it starts going through some things and just stops. I was thinking about booting from an AV cd.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-29-2009 09:31 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the case of my friend's computer system, his system was indeed infected with a number of trojans, several of which infected vital files in the Windows directory. It turns out he didn't have up to date anti-virus software on his old desktop computer.

What's scary is if one of the trojans he picked up didn't screw up a certain .DLL file in the Windows folder he would never have known his PC was infected. Then the criminals behind those viruses could steal his personal data, record keystrokes or at least make his computer vomit out loads of spam or work in an army of infected computers for denial of service attacks. Many computer viruses try to not call attention to themselves.

We discovered the infections by using the previously described method of placing the computer's hard disc into an external enclosure and attaching to another PC via USB cable. McAfee found 14 infections in all, but could only clean half a dozen of them. The others had irreversibly changed files in the Windows folder -at least they're quarantined while the drive is attached to his notebook computer. I told him to back up important data off the hard disc and then format it. He's stuck with having to do a clean install of Windows and everything else.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-29-2009 01:35 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several years ago, the hard drive in my iBook thrashed itself to death. It was nearly 5 years old and saw daily use. The drive was bound to fail sooner or later. When it did, the computer was totally out of commission. I couldn't even boot from a CD.

The only solution was to replace the drive. I didn't have the money to replace the drive so I just tossed the thing into the closet. There it sat for years.

Finally... I came upon somebody who had the same kind of computer as mine. They busted the screen off it. Everything else inside was okay. So I bought the guy some beers in trade for his trashed computer.

You guys talking about crashed hard drives spurred me into getting off my ass and doing the surgery to transplant the hard drive from the busted computer into my iBook. The computer works perfectly!

Given that experience, I am inclined to believe that your hard drive is completely trashed and that a drive transplant is in order. I'm not certain that is the problem with yours but it's not too difficult to do the drive transplant on a tower.

It took me a couple of hours to disassemble the iBook and put it all back together again. It wasn't easy but it was a lot less difficult than I expected.

If yours is a reasonably modern tower computer, you should be able to to the job in 20 minutes or less.

Hard drives are cheap. If you've got one lying around or if you've got another computer you don't use the drive will be free.

Look at it this way: Your computer is completely out of commission as it is. You have little to lose and much to gain.

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2009 08:42 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming your running XP; You need to stop it resetting to find out what the error is, normal behaviour in XP is to reset on a crash and start again. You have to change the settings in the bios to not restart on a crash.

Once you have done this, next time you boot up, it will give an error message (the blue sceen) instead of restarting. Write down this error message and search google with the message. This will at least let you know what the problem is, and possible fixes.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2009 09:30 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so this is what happened.......I boot from Antivirus CD after trying all other suggestions from here and elswhere. It starts to run but the screen looks really weird (strange colors and a bit distorted). It runs through and finds no viruses. So I say "shit", it must be the hard drive crapped out or something. I try to boot from Window XP cd again, but it totally freezes this time. I take the cd out, pull out the plug, plug it back in again, start it up and here we go again. I get to the "Windows did not start successfully.......blah, blah, blah,,,," so I say fuck it, go inside and eat dinner. I come back after dinner and notice that my screensaver is up. I touch the mouse and everything is back to normal. First thing I do is back everything up that I need. I then shut down the computer and restart it. Everything is working fine and nothing was lost or damaged. I have no idea what the hell happened...........Thanks for everyone's help.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: