Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Multiple endings in Wolverine? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Multiple endings in Wolverine?
Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-26-2009 11:08 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Via firstshowing.net

quote:

I just stepped out of a screening of X-Men Origins: Wolverine on the Fox lot in Los Angeles and before it started, director Gavin Hood stopped by to introduce the film. He spent most of the time thanking us for coming to this screening and seeing Wolverine the way it should be seen, in theaters, and talked about how many difference there were between the final cut and the early leaked version. He then mentioned that Marvel has a tradition of hiding easter eggs in their films, and it's no exception for Wolverine. They've hidden multiple secret endings on different prints and theaters will be showing different versions.

Fox is a bit desperate to try and get people in theaters on May 1st for the opening and this definitely seems like a very unique decision to try and bring people in. While we've seen plenty of easter egg endings, like in Iron Man last year, we haven't seen multiple endings like this in a long time. Hood didn't say how many different endings there would be. As for the other differences between the leaked version and the final cut, Hood explained that there were 400 unfinished visual effects shots and that there was no score, unfinished sound mixing, and unfinished coloring. However, he didn't mention anything about differences in footage.

I will say, quickly, that I enjoyed Wolverine and wouldn't call it great, but liked it a lot more than I was expecting. I think my expectations had been brought down considerably because of all the negative buzz from the leak. However, seeing a finished and polished version was what made all the difference (I never saw the leaked version anyway). As for the secret ending we saw tonight, I'll only say that it featured Deadpool, but I won't say anything more, as I don't want to spoil the ending for anyone. We'll let you know when we hear any more about the secret endings in Wolverine, including how many there are and what they are.

This seems like it would backfire. As a movie goer, it just makes me want to wait for the BluRay which will likely have all the endings.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-26-2009 11:32 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone at Fox needs to get a Clue. Ba-dum-bum. [Razz]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2009 03:07 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, glad to see you really do have a Clue about multiple endings!

The movie CLUE (1985) had 3 different endings. The theatre ads told whether the print being shown had the A, B or C ending. The home video version has all three endings.

The Wolverine stuff seems to indicate they are scared of all those early downloaders. We've seen in the past that high interest on the Internet really means little. Look at the storm that SNAKES ON A PLANE created. That film did not do anywhere near what was expected. Kevin Smith has a huge internet following, and his films don't make much money.I think Internet interest is far over-rated. I also believe that most of those people who downloaded the film wouldn't have gone to see it, anyway.

I'll believe multiple endings on WOLVERINE when information comes from a more reliable source.

[ 04-26-2009, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Mark Lensenmayer ]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-26-2009 06:32 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Presumably multiple endings is a marketing tool used to increase ticket sales. If this were the case, I would think Fox would be promoting multiple endings like mad in the ad campaign. So far, at least in the TV ads that I've seen, not a word about it. This leads me to believe that multiple endings might have been an idea batted around early on, but never implimented.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 04-26-2009 06:45 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it clear that they aren't just showing different endings at different test screenings in order to decide which one is the final cut?

It's not rare that movies continue to change after test screenings.

--jhawk

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2009 07:40 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible with a digital system to have multiple endings? Could you have ending "A" at one screening and ending "B" at another?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-26-2009 07:51 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. It's as easy as 'drag and drop'.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2009 08:59 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I read somewhere that the different endings were just the post-credit tease sequences. (sorry no link). Stuff that only a certain percentage will actually stay and see.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2009 07:37 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i just built this print today , it looked much like credits more scenes credit more scenes. had to change the cue position twice then found no tail at the end of reel 6 , the last scene just faded at that was it. might have to test run it to see what it what before it goes to public.

I still fail to see why any of them bother to put in extra scenes in the credits as 95% of people bolt soon as the light come up and credits roll.

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2009 10:06 AM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got booked for 4 prints. Fox ships Deluxe right? I was hoping to build it a day earlier, but our nonTechnicolor courier is getting so late that now it's like 5:30pm when he brings prints on Thursdays.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-28-2009 11:12 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find it best not to believe anyone who is in a position to make money off any kind of publicity associated with a movie. The director probably doesn't even have final cut, so why listen to him? [Wink]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-28-2009 11:32 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Geoff Jones
I thought I read somewhere that the different endings were just the post-credit tease sequences.
That would certainly make the most sense. Although I agree the vast majority of audience members are bolting for the exits as soon as the credits roll.

A lot of post-credits clips aren't seen by a lot of people until the movie is playing on premium cable channels like HBO. The viewer just happens to see it while waiting for another show to begin.

My favorite post-credits clip is still the one at the very end of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. "You're still here!? It's Over! Go home. Go." I think that one worked really well because the end credits ran alongside a school bus sequence that kept many audience members in the theater. The school principal, Ed Rooney has nothing but utter contempt for the students, but now he's stuck on a bus with a bunch of them.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-28-2009 08:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Quick survey, how many people's prints of this movie have all of the reels on the same filmstock? I'll bet not many.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2009 03:18 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i took this film for a test drive today , i wont comment on what i thought of it here , but it settled just how the endings went.
on my copy anyway , the film finished fades to black and credit roll for a few minutes , then the film comes back on for couple of minutes then credit continue to roll till about two minutes from the end then we see and extra piece of the movie and that's it .

there was no alternate ends just extra pieces of the movie that no one will see , total waste of time .

strange there was no tail on the last reel either the very last action scene faded then the reel runs out.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2009 07:13 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, we built 18 of these on Sunday. There are two different real 6s. The first extra scene is the same on both and then there is a final scene after the credits are done rolling. Each scene is about 30-40 seconds long. The first one comes up after about 30 seconds of "credits" and the final scene is after all credits have ended. This is real and not someone "yanking" your chain because they make more then you do.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: