Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cinemas in the Syracuse, NY area

Author Topic: Cinemas in the Syracuse, NY area
Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2009 01:18 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know of a good cinema to take in a movie? I'll be traveling there for a couple days, and will have some time to see a movie. Just wondered where I should go and where I should avoid.

Cheers!

AJG

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 04-25-2009 01:42 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once saw a movie at a multiplex at a mall in Baldwinsville, a suburb of Syracuse. It was a typical mall theatre and I am sure it is nothing you are looking for to see a movie. I have noticed some very nice looking theatres in Downtown Syracuse in the seventies and like all of our downtown theatres here in Honolulu, they probably are all closed so your best bet is a theatre at a mall outside of the city. By the way, from what I remember, the downtown area of Syracuse was rather drab looking.

-Claude

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-26-2009 07:20 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You really should visit Loew's State now The Landmark Theatre. We were passing thru Syracuse one night about 10yrs ago and saw "OKLAHOMA! Shirley Jones - Gordon MacRae" on the marquee. I stopped and as luck would have it, we were in time for the evening show.

It's a magnificent 1926 Thomas Mann design, as were many of the movie palaces in the Loews chain. And as true-to-form, these palaces were obscenely oppulent and ornate and, quite frankly, breathtaking, which is what they were intended to be. Sadly, browsing the site, it looks like they have abandoned film for live events. Nevertheless, it definately is a theatre you should check out as long as you are in the area.

[ 04-27-2009, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Frank Angel ]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2009 03:50 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. I ended up running out of time to get to the movies, but I did drive by the Landmark with lots of envy.

AJG

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-29-2009 04:04 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
It's a magnificent 1926 Thomas Mann design, as were many of the movie palaces in the Loews chain.
Frank who is Thomas Mann? The theatre's architect was Thomas W. Lamb.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2009 04:43 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
There used to be a huge film collector's convention in Syracuse every year. Do they still have that?

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2009 07:10 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, they have it in March, it's put on by the Syracuse Cinephile Society. Lotta great old films, mostly from collector's 16mm prints, but they screen some 35mm at the Eastwood Palace. Great dealer's tables, too.

Sadly, the golden era of Syracuse moviegoing is long gone. The Eckel (Cinerama!), the original Shoppingtown, The RKO Keith's, the Strand, the Cinema East, the Genesee, all gone. I'm glad the former Loew's State is still open, and the Palace is recently renovated. I spent many nights in some of those booths.

Here's a memorial page for the Kallet Genesee, where I ran many a reel, and another for the original Shoppingtown, which as you'll see had a pair of beautiful DP-70s that moved over to the new Shoppingtown. I dropped a just-changed-over-to full 6000 ft. reel off of one of these machines one night when in a sleepless haze (college plus two jobs) I forgot to push the reel latch down. Made a helluva noise.

Michael Townsend
Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2009 10:07 AM      Profile for Michael Townsend   Email Michael Townsend   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Landmark Theater truly is a beautiful theater. Even though the theater is mostly used for live events, they still occasionally do show films. The premier of "The Express" was held there. Digital projection equipment was used which was brought into the theater through the roof via a helicopter. Dennis Quaid was here for the event.

Syracuse also has an International Film Festival which was held April - May 3. Bobcat Golthwait, an East Syracuse native, brought his film "World Greatest Dad" staring Robin Williams to the festival. An outdoor theater was also set up one night for the event

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: