Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Chinese 16 Theater in Aurora, Co...Information wanted (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Chinese 16 Theater in Aurora, Co...Information wanted
Tony L. Hernandez
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2009 06:12 PM      Profile for Tony L. Hernandez   Email Tony L. Hernandez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone here give me a rough year of construction for the Chinese 16 in Aurora, Colorado?

Also, if any of you have visited the place, please let me know what you thought. Someone told me last night that as a movie theater buff, the place is worth it for me to visit. I've never seen the building in person so I'm not sure...

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-20-2009 07:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe Redifer could give you the most information, as he opened the place. I did some work there in 2000. The theater has changed hands 3-4 tiles now and from all of the reports I've heard, the presentation there is nothing short of godawful now.

I visited it about a month after I stopping doing any work there. It went from "excellent" to "quite shitty" in that one month alone. I can't fathom how bad it is now, but the multiple reports scare me.

This was the theater that the 16 screen interlock video was done at.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-20-2009 08:23 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I visited the theater once with [joe] to see one of those Austin Powers sequels (that was about the best thing playing at the time). The theater was attractive looking and had good equipment in the booth. However, I learned first hand how certain members of the theater staff had "fixed" what wasn't broken after people like [joe] had left. That was especially true in terms of the audio setup. Proper EQ? Shee-it. Even without the proper gear I'll just tweak all those knobs and buttons myself. The house has proper EQ when I say it does!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-20-2009 10:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a movie there sometime in the early 2000s. Not sure what year or what movie but I know it was in the "post-Redifer" era. What struck me the most was the condition of the rest rooms: Wallpaper torn off, one divider was missing between two stalls, one of the toilets was broken (yes! broken!) and there was water, paper and trash all over the floor.

I also remember the concession area. They had a dispenser of some cherry-flavored drink that was leaking and making a large bright red puddle on the floor behind the counter.

The auditoriums were really nice-looking though, and the presentation I remember being just fine -- a few small flecks of dirt on the print, but nothing worth complaining about.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-20-2009 11:51 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Y'know, the day I visited that theater a tornado had hit a housing development under construction nearby while we were watching Goldmember and the attack of the Shitake Mushrooms. My dad was so pissed that I didn't take the mobile phone he loaned me into the theater (as if I would be able to do anything about the damned twister). I didn't realize the same tornado hit the restrooms in that theater.

Wow. [bobby] and [joe] are lucky to be alive!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-21-2009 12:25 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Mann Chinese 16 at Arapahoe Crossings opened in January of 1998 if memory serves. It cost about $17 million in 1997/98 dollars.

The booth started out as absolute crap mainly because of the other projectionists as well as the Christie equipment (including CA-21 automations which did not recognize the failsafes). Over time, the bad projectionists were weeded out, we were finally allowed to pre-screen moves before the public saw them (thanks to a nice misprint on reel 1 of Saving Private Ryan) and we gained fantastic support from the equipment manufacturers (Christie and Pennywise) and nearly all technical issues were ironed out and improved dramatically (especially the CA-21 automation). For a while, the Chinese 16 could not be beat in presentation. We were far and above the best in the state, if not several surrounding states. I feel that no theater in Colorado today comes close to matching now what we had going then, especially when it was Myself, Brad, Dwayne (who posts maybe once a decade here) and Erika (who hasn't posted in forever) in charge of the booth. The sound in all auditoriums was awesome. Erika and I worked there until August of 2000 and Brad and Dwayne left a month or two later.

Mann sold the Colorado theaters to Colorado Cinemas Limited Liability Corporation which is a bit better name than "General Cinemas" I guess, but equally as non-creative. They got rid of THX and did a lot of cost-cutting things. It was rumored that Mann figured Colorado Cinemas would fail and they could buy their theaters back from them on the cheap, but that never happened. From what I heard one of the projectionists that was there after Brad and I left cranked the subwoofers way high because he wanted the auditoriums to sound like his car. When I saw the Austin Powers movie with Robert Henderson this was clearly evident as there was waaay too much low end and it sounded really, really bad. A couple of years ago (or so) Colorado Cinemas Limited Liability Corporation sold the theater to Kerasotes. I have heard that everything has taken a huge nose dive since. They have a "projection trainer" who must be obeyed and everything must be done his way (such as threading base side on every roller) and other idiotic things. I haven't been to the Chinese since this took place, but I have heard from many people who have been there that their films are often scratched, they are very dirty and they have some sound issues (involving what I do not know). It is also a manager run booth now. Pity.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-21-2009 12:29 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we need to send Mark G over there to improve their presentation with digital. [Razz]

Tony L. Hernandez
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2009 02:16 AM      Profile for Tony L. Hernandez   Email Tony L. Hernandez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome guys! Thanks a bunch for your time and write ups! This is the exact information I was seeking! Question is basically answered but I'd still love to hear what anyone else has to say.

So management issues and other flaws aside, is this place something I should set time aside to visit considering I enjoy historic and/or unique theaters?

Also to Brad: thats interesting about your interlock video being done there. Any idea if that setup still exists?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-21-2009 02:37 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
"projection trainer" who must be obeyed and everything must be done his way (such as threading base side on every roller) and other idiotic things.
Thus a big question: where do these guys come from anywhos-which planet, country, prison, ghetto, et.al. - then one has to shudder on where and whom DID they get their training FROM.....

Be funny if Mark G. did go over there and do digital conversions, then that so-called "projection trainer" would come with more goofy ideas on how to do presentations.

Sounds like that company is not to company to work for if quality is that low.

quote: Joe Redifer
Erika and I worked there until August of 2000 and Brad and Dwayne left a month or two later.

That's right, that is a Christie booth. Now, you're doing a STRONG booth. Which place are you working at now? For some reason or another, I thought you were still at this 16plex..

-Monte

Tony L. Hernandez
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2009 04:07 AM      Profile for Tony L. Hernandez   Email Tony L. Hernandez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, Monte, that is a question that I have had for years but never asked: where the hell do these "projection trainers" and "projection managers" come from and what makes their superiors think that they can handle this position?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-21-2009 10:33 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing is likely: the resumes of those "projectionist trainers" probably aren't including theater locations with reputations of great presentation quality.

To use the restaurant analogy, it's a good thing those "projectionist trainers" aren't in the food service business. The customers would all be getting food poisoning. Hey! Salmonella is good enough -at least the customers aren't getting botulism!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-21-2009 11:41 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony, I have no idea if the rollers are in place, but I doubt anyone there could set it up given the feedback I keep hearing from that place.

Are you sure you aren't confusing this with the Mann's Chinese theater in Los Angeles??? That would qualify as a historic theater, not the one in Colorado. The Colorado theater is just a regular multiplex (although done nicer than most) with the front/lobby theme of the real Chinese in Los Angeles.

Tony L. Hernandez
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2009 02:48 PM      Profile for Tony L. Hernandez   Email Tony L. Hernandez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Brad I'm not personally confusing the two however with the information at hand, I'm quite certain my source was. You see, I was visiting with one of our regular customers downstairs this past Saturday night and was sharing with her some of the historic theaters in the area that I have visited which immediately started her off telling me how there was a theater called the Chinese 16 in Aurora that had been constructed as a single screen in the 1950's and been added on to over the years. I initially doubted her but I thought that as a historian, her comments warranted some investigation.
In hindsight, I now believe that she is confusing the Chinese in LA and perhaps the Continental 10 in Denver with the above mentioned theater.

Joe, while we are on this basic subject, have you got a rough idea of the year (or even which part of which decade) that The Tiffany Plaza Movies 6 was constructed? My ex used to live in those high rise apartments immediately to the east of the Tamarac Square so I passed this place often. We'd occasionally go over to see movies at The Tamarac (which I believe was constructed in the mid-1970's) but I never was brave enough to try the Tiffany.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 04-21-2009 03:01 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Grand Poo-Bah
Are you sure you aren't confusing this with the Mann's Chinese theater in Los Angeles??? That would qualify as a historic theater, not the one in Colorado. The Colorado theater is just a regular multiplex (although done nicer than most) with the front/lobby theme of the real Chinese in Los Angeles.
I'm not sure the quality of the Chinese in Hollywood is any good any more...my last visit there (admittedly many years ago) was a disaster...if I may quote from another thread:

quote: ME
My last experience at the Chinese was way back in the 80's during the 70mm run of "The Right Stuff", and it was a nightmare experience. To start off, the boob in the booth (hereafter known as BITB) was threading the machine with the mag hot and no non-sync. So we got to hear the track from whatever scrap film was being used as the leader. I'm already starting to fume and my sister and best friend are waiting for me to explode.

Showtime comes and goes, the film starts almost ten minutes late. We are greeted with the SMPTE leader and track on the closed drape, which opened barely in time for the start of the show. The focus was soft (corrected after ten minutes) and the sound was missing the left channel (throughout).

Now most theatres I'd been to ran the intermission at the end of reel six, where Deke Slayton dives into the mermaid bar's tank and swims with the girls. Great spot to take the break as there is some nice "deedle-deedle" lounge music, and the next reel opens with reporters climbing a fence to get to the astronaut's wives. Well, at the Chinese some jackass decided to simply cut the film when the platter was full, because the break at the Chinese came at the end of the scene where the astronauts, in full suits, walk up a corridor to the camera (right before Shepard's flight.) This not only destroyed the dramatic impact of that transition, but we were now greeted with the abrupt cutoff of the music, the tail of the reel running out, complete with tones and "Right Stuff, reel Eight AB, Print #... " from the sound system, then white screen.

Now I'm royally pissed as is most of the 300 plus audience. I announced in a loud voice that just one more fuck-up and I'm getting my money back. That was met with a lot of agreement by the rest of the suffering audience. [Smile]

Well, they didn't let us down. [Smile] First we AGAIN got to hear the leader being dragged thru the mag, and run up and stopped. The lights dim the picture comes on.. and it an UPSIDE-DOWN image of a trucking shot of some house or pagoda-looking building!! We then hear the last few notes of the music from the preceding scene before we now get the correct image. [Mad]

As the credit roll started I stormed into the lobby, tailed by about 50 other people, which soon grew to over 200. I read that manager the riot act, and got refunds for the ENTIRE group!!

What a total cock-up. I swore to never go to that over-hyped dump again. And based on Don's post as quoted above, looks like nothing's changed.

If one of the most renowned theatres IN THE WORLD can't do a show right, it's no wonder this industry is so fucked.

I fully blame management for tolerating a BITB, and not doing anything about it. I blame the projection union local for allowing incompetents to remain on the job in such a high-profile location (and I'm NOT anti-union). I just call 'em as I see 'em.

(That was from the "Lost That Moviegoing Mojo" thread.)

Don't know if things are any better there, but I don't want to waste my time and money to find out.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-21-2009 03:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
And the above is why it is so important to put on a flawless show (at least as flawless as your equipment is capable of) every single time no matter what, because many customers simply won't give you a second chance and that means lost potential revenue from that person forever.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: