Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "A lot" is two words (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: "A lot" is two words
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-05-2009 08:19 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know how many times I see people post "alot" around here?

A lot.

[Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-05-2009 08:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about "to" instead of "too." I don't see "two" misused as much.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-05-2009 08:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's usually a comma before "too", too.

Oh, and many people desperately need to learn how to spell "desperately". See that? Desperate. Most people seem to want to spell it with an A where the second E is. Only one A. Just one. That's it.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2009 08:44 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of folks also spell "quiet" online as "quite." And how about the unnecessary use of apostrophe's? I even see this in printed ad's when people are selling "new car's" and thing's like that. You'd think that people who produce advertisement's and/or sign's professionally would know better.

But I'm especially annoyed when people abbreviate online, assuming that I know exactly what they mean whenever they refer to a movie as TWINE or STFC or LOTRTFOTR. I don't get it. Is it so hard to at least spell out ONE word from a title like that so that anyone outside of your own head can figure out what you mean? Lazy idiots -- er, I mean, lazy idiot's -- er, I mean, LI.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-05-2009 09:48 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get a little annoyed with spelling mistakes, especially when I make them. Web browsers like Firefox have a built-in spell checker, but they can't spot errors in context with words like "too" or "two." Sometimes typing errors can result a correctly spelled word, but not the word that was intended in the sentence. I had to backspace and correct "words" in a previous sentence because I typed too fast and spit out "worlds" instead. Proof-reading is important. The "edit" button is very handy afterward.

I'm not very hip to chat-room style acronym gibberish -which is one reason I don't spend any time in chat rooms. I don't like text messaging on a cellular phone either. I use a mobile phone to speak to other people. If I wanted to type something I would have sent the person a note via e-mail. We can read whole words in forums like this, and whole words tend to work well in social networking sites like Facebook.

It's a good thing web browsers support a limited number of typefaces. Try imagining someone setting their forum text in a typeface like Hollyweird. Or how about Brush Script in all capitals? It would happen.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-05-2009 10:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What annoys the hell out of me are those people who will be asking you something over about 20 text messages. And to help them it takes LENGTHY responses! So after so many of these I just call them...but they won't answer the phone! They want to do it all over text messages. Ugh. No, I think I've got better things to do with my time than type one sentence via text when I could have said five verbally.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-05-2009 10:41 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
My pet peeve is the misuse of the word for the lamphouse/projector douser by calling it "dowser"...you know, as in looking for water using a "divining rod". UGH!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-05-2009 10:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know Phil... I post alot around here [Wink] . And eyve tried to cut back on my posts but withdrawl really gets ya quickly.

NOw lets examine another word. TAke "sound" for example on the front page its spelled sond. WHo on earth would spell it like that??

DOesn't that sticky keyboard cap thing I have going really drive you nuts [Razz] .

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-06-2009 12:43 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not forget about definite and definitely. Do you guys see the letter A in there anywhere? No? That's because it's not supposed to be there! Learn your own language!

Jarret Chessell
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2009 01:04 AM      Profile for Jarret Chessell   Email Jarret Chessell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a mac, it spell checks for you while you type. The only thing it doesn't do is sort out homonyms - My mac just helped me spell homonyms [beer]

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 04-06-2009 01:20 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When it comes to informal things like Film-Tech and other on-line forums, I'm not overly particular about proper spelling and grammar - as long as the person makes sense.

quote: Greg Anderson
But I'm especially annoyed when people abbreviate online
Text lingo is the one thing I can't stand! I can't even imagine what it's like for teachers having to grade papers full of text lingo. What bothers me even more is that it's becoming part of the spoken language. When I hear someone actually say "LOL" or "JK", I just want to slap them upside the head.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-06-2009 01:42 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Let's not forget about definite and definitely.
Joe beat me to this one...I think "definitely" is the most misspelled word in the entire Internet, not just on this forum - and tied with "basically" for the most overused word.

I also hate texting. I think it's evil unless it's used for the most basic of messages. I'm currently watching a family member destroy her relationship because she and her boyfriend insist on texting each other all the time, and they keep misinterpreting what the other meant. Just pick up the and call, for Pete's sake. Then you have these idiot kids who are killing people by texting while they're driving.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-06-2009 01:54 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jarret Chessell
Get a mac, it spell checks for you while you type.
So macs are for the lesser-educated? [Razz]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-06-2009 02:32 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Just pick up the and call, for Pete's sake
Odd is that the people I work for will not answer their cels, but when you text them, they answer immediately. I found out that that talking on the telly is wasting their precious time whereas doing the text is part of their multitasking chores.

[Roll Eyes] .... go figure....

Thus, I learned how to use my fingers on the cel keyboard and be fast at it.

But, if you want to have fun with people who doesn't text, it drives them nuts since they hate it and just rather call.

-Monte

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 04-06-2009 06:52 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Joe on "definitely". But there's a degree to which I'll probably forgive someone for spelling it "definatly", a degree which definitely DOES NOT extend to "prolly". Not spelling the word right is one thing, not knowing the word you're using is another! "Prolly"? Really? Ugh.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: