Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Thoughts on Cyberpower PC (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Thoughts on Cyberpower PC
Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2009 02:35 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at buying a new PC. The configuration I want would only be $100 more from Cyberpower PC than if I built it myself. What I'm wondering is has anyone had any dealings with them in the past? What quality are the computers they build? How is their support?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-23-2009 02:45 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Buy a Dell.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2009 03:11 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't checked out dell yet. My current PC is a dell and other than a hard drive failure (admittably a big thing, and wasnt' that old at the time) Its given me very good service.

I originally was intent on building my own computer, to save money, etc. A co-worker pointed me int he direction of cyberpower though and if they are a decent company the price is certainly right.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2009 01:38 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your going to buy a pre-built get a Dell. They are the only company with anything that resembles real customer service if you need warranty work.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-23-2009 01:44 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shoot, if you know how to build your own, I would be heading in that direction hands down.

My laptop here (an Inspiron 6000) is 3 yrs old and no probs with it. Had to replace the keyboard and buy a new battery (normal wear and tear), but everything else has been great..

But, true ... buy a DELL ... for a storebought unit - best you can ever get due to the tonnage of support that comes from this manufacturer.

Looks like Cyberpower pertains to flashy gaming units and not to quality in a business sense. Makes you wonder on their support then.

Interestingly enough: This company is where LTI bulbs are also made in the same city... scary...

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2009 02:07 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So let me get this straight. Because one company produces, in your opinion, a poor quality product, that means that other companies located in the same city are potentially poor companies or make poor products? Wow. Love the logic there.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-23-2009 02:17 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it makes sense to build your own PC yourself if the goal is to save money.

The only way you really manage to accomplish that is if you buy components from companies no one has ever heard of before with driver support that is, at best, questionable. Some people figure if they can order the parts off Newegg.com that ought to be good enough. It isn't.

If you're going to build a system with 100% with high quality components from reputable companies you can actually end up spending more money than if you bought a similarly configured system from Dell -or even Apple for that matter.

The other gotcha in the DIY PC building equation is knowing full well what parts really get along with each other. I've seen lots and lots of kit built computers that ran like crap because of little unforeseen conflicts between RAM, the main board and various other devices installed. You really have to know your stuff well to get it done right.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2009 03:20 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you know what your doing a self built pc in general would be of far higher quality parts than an OEM (I was a pc bench tech/service manager prior to my cinema career) OEM's use some of the cheapest parts available, however as a whole they are quite stable. The old issues of irq problems and driver conflicts in self builds by and large are a thing of the past.
If you are just looking for a basic pc for school or buisness, and you might as well get an OEM, as its a plug and play solution.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-23-2009 03:42 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, nutting of the sort - just coinsidental that the two happen to be in the same city..and not impressed with either one of them.

quote: Todd McCracken
OEM's use some of the cheapest parts available
Packard "Hell", 'er Bell was one of them. Compaq almost followed behind in a close 2nd place.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2009 06:28 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have nothing against Dell, like I said my current system is a Dell and I have not been dissapointed by them. However, getting the system I want from Dell would cost an additional $500 compared to newegg and $400 compared to cyberpower AND has a slightly slower processor.

The build I'm currently working with:

AMD Phenom 9950 Agena 2.6ghz socket AM2+ 125w quad core
Newegg

ASUS M3A78-T motherboard
Newegg

8 gig DDR2 RAM
Newegg

2 Radeon HD 4850 512MB graphics cards, configured for Crossfire
Newegg

650 Watt power supply
Newegg

2 Seagate 500gb SATA HD's
Newegg

DVD/CD ROM drive
Newegg

Blu-Ray/DVD/CD writer
Newegg

G15 keyboard and logitech gaming mouse
Newegg
Newegg

And case with plenty of cooling
Newegg

Thoughts on the build?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 02-23-2009 08:17 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Building your own is great except if you like having software installed for you. If you want to use windows and word you'll need to buy them. Like I'm a linux fan so the lack is a plus but I'm not average

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-23-2009 08:30 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd do the build with the parts listed from Newegg.

I've built a few systems for my friends who bought the stuff from Newegg, installed the software and all the buttons and whistles needed.

They were tons satisfied with the outcome an glad they went this way instead of factory made units.

-Monte

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-23-2009 09:17 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin, maybe I'm just not seeing it but the specific Corsair memory part number you linked to does not appear to be certified by Corsair for the mobo. A better choice might be TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX which is certified and slightly higher-performance. And only $30 a pair after rebate.

After having built ~20 PCs at work from newegg parts, I've learned to stick to memory that's officially certified for the mobo in question.

You might be able to save a few dollars by choosing a mobo without built-in video, which you certainly don't need with dual SLI video cards installed.

BTW newegg is awesome. Likewise for Corsair memory and power supplies. [thumbsup]

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2009 09:29 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, where do you see which motherboards the memory is certified for? I've never noticed this before, and I can't find it on either of these products.

Newegg is the shiznit. I've built a couple systems as well as upgraded plenty with parts purchased from them. Their prices, selection, and service are phenomenal.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-23-2009 09:37 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, What I do is pick the motherboard I think I want, then go to a couple of memory manufacturers' sites and search for what they make that they claim is certified for that specific mobo. For example if you go to www.corsair.com and drill down through the online memory configurator questions (Motherboards, ASUS, M3A78-T in Dustin's case) you'll find what you want.

Does any memory mfr. list which motherboards are compatible with a particular model of memory? I don't recall ever seeing it listed that way. Always seems easier and maybe more logical to work the other way: Pick the mobo first, then find memory that's certified for it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: