Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Best Videography Oscar (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Best Videography Oscar
Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2009 09:10 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know the academy awards are stupid & meaningless, but man was I disappointed Wally Pfister didn't win.

Question - is this the first time the so-called "cinematography" oscar went to a movie shot on home video?

|  IP: Logged

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 02-22-2009 09:12 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many cinematographers find shooting video to be more challenging than film. Less latitude, you know.

--jhawk

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-22-2009 09:19 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty disappointed Wally Pfister wasn't picked for his work on The Dark Knight. I don't think the image quality of Slumdog Millionaire was very good at all. If a "digital" based movie deserved the award, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button would have been a more deserving choice.

Isn't this one of those categories in which only people working in that field are allowed to vote? I really have to wonder about that.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-22-2009 09:22 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Oscar's are such a joke they score a negative 100 on my Give-A-Shit meter. [Big Grin]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-22-2009 09:42 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only nominated movie I've seen is Dark Knight and I still know for certain Wally Pfister got screwed on this. [thumbsdown]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-22-2009 10:04 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...called politics...as most of the awards seems to fall into these past few years..

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-22-2009 10:10 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slumdog Millionaire is obviously the favorite of Oscar voters regardless of whether it's really worthy of certain awards it is picking up.

I don't agree with Slumdog Millionaire winning the Best Film Editing Oscar. I think this is another one The Dark Knight should have won.

Wall•E got robbed on the Sound Mixing and Sound Editing Oscars. I can understand The Dark Knight taking the Sound Editing award. Slumdog Millionaire seemed to grab the Sound Mixing award as a gimmie to inflate its total trophy haul on the way to the Best Picture award. There's little doubt of it taking that award at this point in the awards show.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-22-2009 11:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know that Dennis Hopper directed Slumdog Millionaire. Didn't he win an oscar before, but as an actor in something? Maybe Speed?

I bet some of the older Film-Tech members think Sophia Lauren looks good. You people are crazy. I thought she looked like a zombie and was surprised that pieces didn't start falling off of her. We laughed and laughed at her. She is funny to laugh at because she looks so disgusting. She deserves to be laughed at, I think.

What was up with Queen Shaniqua singing during the "Who died" tribute? I had to mute it. I also muted all of Hugh Jack Man's song and dance numbers because, well, I'm a guy!

The show is still too long. They need to get rid of the useless stuff that nobody cares about like Best Song, Best Short Film, Best Documentary, Best Foreign Film, Best Animated Short Film, Best Use of a Penis Pump, etc etc etc.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-22-2009 11:43 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
What was up with Queen Shaniqua singing during the "Who died" tribute? I had to mute it.
One positive thing about that segment: the on screen titles for the dead showed an appropriate use of Trajan. It does work well for tombstones.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2009 11:44 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rourke got robbed, but what are you going to do. Play a special needs person or a gay person and you got yourself an Oscar....BS!!!!!!

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2009 11:53 PM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Isn't this one of those categories in which only people working in that field are allowed to vote? I really have to wonder about that.
I think the nominees are chosen that way, but the voting for the award is open to everyone who are members.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-23-2009 05:15 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Setting aside any feelings about winners and losers, I think it was one of the best Oscar shows I've ever seen. The way the presented the acting awards was brilliant and made it all seem so much more personal.

I disagree about Queen Latifah singing during the In Memoriam. I felt it gave the moment an extra feeling of gravitas.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 02-23-2009 09:04 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anslem is correct, all active and life academy members vote for Best Cinematography. See Rule 9.

I think the only exceptional awards not voted on by "everyone" are the Documentary Feature and Documentary Short (voters must have seen them theatrically, or be on the nominating committee), the Foreign Film (voters must have seen all 5 nominees theatrically), and Animated Short and Live Action Short (voters must attend official Academy screenings, or be on the nominating committee).

Many, if not most, of the awards have much more selective nominations processes.

--jhawk

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-23-2009 09:09 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most DP's that I've worked with over the years not only couldn't shoot on video but they also couldn't shoot 65mm or VistaVision for many reasons more often relating to the level of Prima Donnaness they live in.

Mark

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2009 09:29 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
Many cinematographers find shooting video to be more challenging than film. Less latitude, you know.
I bet. That would be like trying to use a keyboard with half the keys.

I haven't seen Slumdog... I don't quite see the point of watching it in the theatre. I'll wait and check it out on video.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: