Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Gas prices is creeping up again (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Gas prices is creeping up again
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-13-2009 07:08 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know there is another thread about gas prices but it has almost three hundred posts and I thought it was time to start a new one on the topic.

Unlike most of the United States where the the price of gas went below $2.00 a gallon, the lowest it got in Hawaii was about $2.18 before it started to creep up again. Price for gas now in Hawaii is about $2.35 and it seem to continue to go up. I find this hard to accept when I have not heard about the price of crude oil going up on the international market. With the economy the way it is, I think it is terrible if the national petroleum industry is lining their pockets with excessive profit when almost everyone is hurting.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2009 08:04 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know someone who works for a fuel supplier and maintains that the current price increases are largely to placate the Saudis. Given that they have announced production cuts I think the market is actually responding to perceived future supply issues. I also heard that prices are being systematically raised because the oil companies can do what they want, which certainly plays into Claude’s hypothesis. I’d really like to know the “real” reason.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-14-2009 10:19 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only area where the Saudis could be helped by the current situation is in shipping already refined gasoline.

For whatever reason the oil refineries are currently charging quite a bit more for gasoline than what the price of crude oil would dictate. Many areas of the US should have gasoline prices dipping well below $1.50 per gallon. Instead, we're well above that (it's $1.77 per gallon here for 87 octane).

The refiners have lots of excuses ready if someone asks why prices are high (we're having to retool for warm weather blends of fuel, it's this time of year for certain maintenance so we have to shut down big parts of the refineries, etc.). Either way, their production levels are down noticeably.

Oil supplies at the huge facility in Cushing, OK are at very high levels. Some investors have literally been renting out oil container ships filled with crude and letting them sit off the coast for a few months until oil prices rise again. They call the current situation "contango," where current prices are cheap and futures prices several months out are much higher. But it's a gamble if those futures will actually command those prices at the time of delivery months from now. If our economy is still in the toilet by this Fall, those investors are going to lose quite a bit of money.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-14-2009 06:50 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard buzz that, even though right now we are in that so-called 'slump' of oil prices, but when this slump fades out where the economy has almost fully recovered, prices are definitely going to go back to the 3 to 5 and plus dollar range..mainly due to revenge by the Middle East countries so they can recover on their huge losses.

And the Big 3 automakers better be prepared when this comes around for right now, they're bickering on the premise that "America loves their big cars and can't see the reason to make small ones now that the price of fuel is down to the current level.."

..seems that they sure don't want to face the facts, do they...

-Monte

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-14-2009 09:02 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Rick Raskin
I also heard that prices are being systematically raised because the oil companies can do what they want
I don't think I buy that, otherwise gas would never have gotten as low as it did.

There's also the theory: Well, we lowered prices and people STILL cut back their driving, so screw'em; we'll make a little more money.

I think the above theory about the Saudis cutting back production is the closest, but I also think the whole thing is more complicated than that by a long shot.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2009 09:59 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It probably has something to do with refineries cutting back production to match the reduced demand and prop up the prices. It must reduce their overhead cost significantly to cut back production. From their standpoint, why flood the market with product (which will increase their production costs) only to have the price drop further.

In a round about way it's probably good for the price to creep up a little so that the general public doesn't just go back to buying gas guzzlers for no apparent reason. I have no problem with people buying what they want but it really hurts a lower-middle class family to be driving an SUV that gets 13-16 mpg when the gas price goes up to $4 again. I think a lot of people don't look that far ahead when they make a purchase decision.

As for the big 3, I think the issue is that for whatever reason (union cost etc) they can't make a small car profitably. That's why the focus on SUV's and Trucks because they can actually profit on those. Even with their current lineups, there are plenty of "american" cars that get similar gas milage to the imports. People just don't seem to want to buy them especially at a price that is profitable.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-15-2009 02:30 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's interesting that the cost of a barrel of oil floats between 35 to 45 bucks, yet gas prices are steadilly climbing upward..

I do remember when FORD had to sell those little KIA built (making them a 'captive import) Aspires and hated every one of them due to the lack of profit that being made from selling them along with the condition if they sell trucks, they had to sell these little cars.

Oh do agree: Big 3 got themselves in trouble selling big gas guzzling SUVS and trucks in liking the huge profits that came from them..and not expecting to have that bomb dropping in their laps.

Now, with the public learned a hard lesson on greed and demand, are a bit gunshy in wanting to return to that world again since not trusting the oil market right now. That lesson hurt really bad.

-Monte

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-15-2009 10:42 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The proverbial bloom is off the rose when it comes to America's previous love affair of driving large, gas guzzling vehicles.

The insane, record high prices we saw last summer (and the previous 2-3 years leading up to it) created a great deal of demand destruction. The literal tax it gouged out of the general public is one of the reasons why the economy is in the toilet now. Years ago it seemed like anyone here in Lawton was driving a big truck or SUV and making fun of anyone in a Prius or similar economy car. When those drivers started spending upwards of $100 per week to commute back & forth, etc. it created some big problems. Diesel prices really did a number on a lot of businesses. Today I see far fewer trucks and SUVs on the roads. Most people here are driving smaller, much more fuel efficient vehicles.

I don't see the American public reverting back to driving gas guzzling vehicles any time soon. Everyone remembers vividly how fast prices spiked above $4 per gallon and knows the same thing can happen again. This is essentially why the Big 3 US automakers are on the verge of collapse. The only cool vehicles they sell use a lot of fuel. Want a stylish, well built vehicle that gets great fuel economy? More than likely you'll be buying from a foreign name plate to get that.

With that said, I'll be surprised if the oil industry can prop prices back up in the $3-$4 per gallon range this year at all. I think the futures traders betting on $75 per barrel oil later this year are taking a serious risk.

The thought process of oil futures traders seems to be the economy will snap back to good health and be all rosy near the end of this year. The problem is we're not in a normal cyclical recession. The disaster perpetrated to the housing industry gutted a lot of the spending power of the American public. Long term structural damage has been done to the economy. It will be at least a few years, if not more, before the American public sees home values going anywhere near those peak levels we saw just a couple of years ago. On top of that we still have other looming issues like unchecked price inflation in the higher education and health care sectors that will plunge consumers and our government even deeper in debt.

Unless key people in private industry and government come up with some real solutions to deal with these fundamental problems our economy could be bouncing along in its current shape for much of the next decade. If Americans want to create new wealth, they're going to have to do something besides flipping houses to the next sucker. They'll have to create wealth the old fashioned way: create a new product or service people want or need.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-15-2009 06:56 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and sadly to note: When one passes used car lots, the majority of the vehicles in there are these road locomotives of yesterday..the SUVS and the huge Tonka Trucks..

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-15-2009 07:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gas prices is creeping up again
Yes, and I just read in the last day or so that oil prices keep falling! Go figure. Perhaps Obama can work on this next.

Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-15-2009 08:51 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever the President says won't make any difference. The market will have the final say. A nation of broke-assed consumers isn't a great foundation on which to build a business model of price gouging. People sticking their financial investment necks out on high oil prices months from now may get decapitated via a cruel but very due reality check. Using things like homes, fuel and food as "asset classes" has very dire consequences. And it's not just stock market consequences either. This kind of turmoil could bleed over into revolutionary situations that have our bill of rights thrown out the window. We have a very serious situation happening right now. The greedy, soul-less fuckers out there had better wake up and realize that instead of trying to pull more and more get rich quick pyramid scheme scams. If not, they could wind up being propped up against a cinder block wall facing a firing squad. We're in uncharted territory in terms of American history right now. Odds are we'll pull out of this funk and get a whole lot better. But the potential is there for things to get a great deal worse and even violent.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-16-2009 04:52 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As this topic of "Gas prices crepping up again" continues, I saw an interesting story in this morning's "The Idaho Statesman" - the Boise Idaho newspaper;

Linky

February 15, 2009

"Crude oil prices have fallen to new lows for this year. So you'd think gas prices would sink right along with them.

Not so.

On Thursday, for example, crude oil closed just under $34 a barrel, its lowest point for 2009. But the national average price of a gallon of gas rose to $1.95 on the same day, its peak for the year. On Friday gas went a penny higher.

To drivers once again grimacing as they tank up, it sounds like a conspiracy. But it has more to do with an energy market turned upside-down that has left gas cut off from its usual economic moorings.

The price of gas is indeed tied to oil. It's just a matter of which oil.

The benchmark for crude oil prices is West Texas Intermediate, drilled exactly where you would imagine. That's the price, set at the New York Mercantile Exchange, that you see quoted on business channels and in the morning paper.

Right now, in an unusual market trend, West Texas crude is selling for much less than inferior grades of crude from other places around the world. A severe economic downturn has left U.S. storage facilities brimming with it, sending prices for the premium crude to five-year lows.

But it is the overseas crude that goes into most of the gas made in the United States. So prices at the pump will probably keep going up no matter what happens to the benchmark price of crude oil.

"We're going definitely over $2, and I bet we'll hit $2.50 before spring," said Tom Kloza, publisher and chief oil analyst at Oil Price Information Service. "This is going to be an unusual year."

On the last day of 2008, gas went for $1.62 on average, according to the auto club AAA, the Oil Price Information Service and Wright Express, a company that tracks transportation data.

The recession in America has dramatically cut demand for crude oil, and inventories are piling up. So prices for West Texas crude have fallen well below what oil costs from places like the North Sea, Saudi Arabia and South America.

That foreign oil sells in some cases for $10 more per barrel - and that doesn't even include shipping.

Brent North Sea crude, which feeds some East Coast refineries - and therefore winds up at many gas pumps around America - now costs about $7 more per barrel than the West Texas crude. Deutsche Bank analysts say the trend should continue.

Historically, West Texas International crude has cost more. So nobody bothered building the necessary pipelines to carry it beyond the nearby refineries in the Midwest, parts of Texas and a handful of other places.

Now that the premium oil is suddenly very inexpensive, refiners elsewhere can't get their hands on it.

"It's so cheap," said Lynn Westphall, the senior VP of external affairs at San Antonio-based Tesoro, which owns a half dozen refineries on the West Coast and Hawaii. "But you can't just build a pipeline to everywhere. We know we can't get it."

Tesoro's refineries in North Dakota and Utah use locally drilled oil and Canadian oil, which also has been running about $10 more per barrel than West Texas crude.

So why not build more pipelines? Because investing billions of dollars over several years makes no sense when the prices could just flip a year from now to where they were before.

"How long is WTI going to be cheaper than Venezuelan oil? Than Canadian?" asked Charles T. Drevna, president of the National Petrochemical and Refiners Association. "You just don't build a pipeline like that."

At the same time, refiners have seen the same headlines as everyone else about job losses and consumer spending. They've slashed production just to avoid taking losses on gasoline no one will buy. Result: Higher gas prices.

"Why should a refiner produce more gasoline when the stuff we produce is not being used?" Drevna said.

Of course, complex explanations of the diverging price paths of West Texas crude and gas are unlikely to placate frustrated drivers. Memories of last summer's $4-plus gas have not receded.

"Drivers are being ripped off even more now than before," said Stuart Pollok, who was filling up recently at a Chevron station in downtown Los Angeles. He pointed out Exxon Mobil Corp. reeled in billions in profits last year when oil prices neared $150.

Others see the conspiracy reaching higher.

"It got really low during the elections and now it's going back up," said Christel Sayegh, a 23-year-old graphic designer in Los Angeles. "They do that every election, though, right?" "

------------Idaho Statesman, Feb, 16, 2009--------------

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-16-2009 09:40 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Historically, West Texas International crude has cost more. So nobody bothered building the necessary pipelines to carry it beyond the nearby refineries in the Midwest, parts of Texas and a handful of other places.

Now that the premium oil is suddenly very inexpensive, refiners elsewhere can't get their hands on it.

"It's so cheap," said Lynn Westphall, the senior VP of external affairs at San Antonio-based Tesoro, which owns a half dozen refineries on the West Coast and Hawaii. "But you can't just build a pipeline to everywhere. We know we can't get it."
So why not build more pipelines? Because investing billions of dollars over several years makes no sense when the prices could just flip a year from now to where they were before.

So according to that article, there is NO WAY we can ever cut our dependence on foreign oil. Meaning a large part of the recent political campaign was total baloney, assuming the politicians knew that fact.

No surprise, I guess.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2009 12:31 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Within similar grades, crude oil is fungible, and between grades it's still fairly fungible, so as long as we consume less in proportion to our production we'll still lessen our dependence on foreign oil no matter where we're actually getting it from. If a foreign supplier decides to cut us off then it'd be a perfect case for building a pipeline.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-16-2009 02:01 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More woes on what oil is going to do in the coming months

Another Linky

Oil up on 'supply crunch' warning

Mr Tanaka said he expects demand for oil to rise next year

Oil prices have risen after the International Energy Agency (IEA) said that there could be supply shortages next year once demand picks up.

Nobuo Tanaka, the IEA's executive director, warned there could be a "supply crunch".

US light crude for March delivery rose 65 cents to $38.16 a barrel. Brent oil added 29 cents to $45.10 a barrel.

Crude prices had jumped on Friday on renewed optimism that a US stimulus package would revive the economy.

"Currently the demand is very low due to the very bad economic situation," Mr Tanaka said.

"But when the economy starts growing, recovery comes again in 2010 and then onward, we may have another serious supply crunch if capital investment is not coming."

He said that he expected world oil demand to rise by about one million barrels per day from next year.

Mr Tanaka also urged the oil producers' cartel Opec not to seek a rapid price increase by cutting supply, adding that a lower price "helps the economic recovery".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: