Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » dressed to impress (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: dressed to impress
Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2009 05:36 AM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it me or what? Went for an open day interview dressed as always for that kind of thing, shirt tie ect, and was surrounded by people who just looked like they could`nt be bothered to even try to make a statement about themselves, hoodies,jeans,tracksuit bottoms,.. Reminded me of a story,some time ago, when a local gas station was advertising for an attendant and some one walked into the office dressed as above,and the boss told him to leave,the person argued that he was only going to pump gas, " Dont care " said the boss " you wont be pumpin gas dressed like that and your not sittin in my office like that either" .
Question, would you as an employer look at potential persons dressed as above?. Dressing as i did, got me two interviews the same day, and on top of one of the forms that the employer was filling in was written " v s d c i c ". Knowing some one that had worked for the company before in the management sector led me to ask the question what if any, those letters meant, Very smart dress code ideal candidate, was the answer I felt good.
Do you think that dress code on first meeting helps? I was always told first impressions count.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-08-2009 10:51 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently interviewing people for a graphic design position in my department. Most of the candidates come to the meeting dressed decently, but not really to impress. It's just halfway dress casual -a step above jeans and a t-shirt.

Worse, only ONE applicant so far has brought an actual portfolio of work. Most of the candidates are expecting a list of applications they know placed on a résumé is enough. Knowledge of Photoshop? Who gives a shit. Show me some actual artwork you put together. Anyone can learn how to click around in a graphics application. Not everyone has artistic/graphic design talent.

This problem has me wanting to visit Cameron University (our local big college) and chew out the instructors in their art and multimedia design departments. These "geniuses" aren't giving their students the tools they need to be productive in an actual graphic design job. They're not even teaching the kids how to present themselves in a job interview (dress professionally, bring a portfolio, a "tear sheet" and perhaps a résumé).

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 02-08-2009 11:17 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always think that even if you're applying for a low position you should dress up a bit. Like if they say that the interviews are "casual dress" you'll be one who stands out. More likely to be remembered.

Bobby,
The problem you're seeing with that school is their focus on being an academic institution rather than a professional school. Happens a lot.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2009 11:20 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've turned away many an applicant when they've not come in to interview properly dressed and groomed.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2009 09:52 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Knowledge of Photoshop? Who gives a shit. Show me some actual artwork you put together. Anyone can learn how to click around in a graphics application. Not everyone has artistic/graphic design talent.

How true Bobby. I'm a draftsman/designer for a Civil Enginnering firm, and have been in this line of work since 1987. Although I happen to use a computer and software to produce my work, those 2 things are merely "tools" that I use to accomplish my tasks. Having the ability to "click around" in a software package is one thing, but there has to be a learned and developed talent by the operator to actually end up with a usable result.
For me it's my responsiblilty to take the ideas and designs of mine and others and convey that on paper in such a way that the average Joe driving a D8 can understand what my engineers want for a final product.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2009 04:02 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do all of the hiring and/or firing at my theatre, and I'm pretty picky about who I choose to work for me. Usually once a year in the spring, we'll have a "Now Hiring Day" at the drive-in. I put it up on the marquee and it usually brings in a cattle call of anybody and everybody who's looking for some part-time employment. I'll hand anybody an application who shows up, but won't necessarily hire them. If they can't write ledgibly - it sends a signal to me that they probably can't read very well either. If they don't have a social security number, they go into a totally separate pile. If they dress like a slacker, their work ethic is probably the same. What gets me more than anything are the ones who fill out an application and don't put any type of phone number on there to contact them.

I stress to all of my employees that their attitude and appearance on the job, reflects upon me and my business. If you want to wear facial piercings, visible tatoos, or multicolored hair....AT WORK, I'm probably not the kind of guy you want to work for.

I don't care what my employees do when they're not at work. They can drink whatever, smoke whatever, and do whoever they want when they're not at work, but the second they are scheduled for work, they should be dressed in uniform, and be in a bodily physical condition to be able to fulfill the requirements of their job. If they show up intoxicated or under the influence of anything, they no longer have a job with me.

Nothing against today's youth, but I find my most reliable employees to either be college age students, or older adults looking to supplement their day job income. Teenagers today work for two things... gas money and cell phone money, while the adults usually have a set goal of what they want to accomplish with the money they make at their part-time job. I had one lady in her mid-40's who used to work for us solely to pay her daughter's private school tuition.

When showing up to an interview, you've only got one shot at a first impression, and while a shirt and tie might be fine for the office environment interview, it would probably be overboard in a theatre environment - unless you were applying for a management position.

On another note: I stopped at McDonalds last night on the way home to pick up dinner for the family and while inside a young man came in and asked for an application. The manager told him, "I'm sorry we're out of ENGLISH applications, all we have available are in Spanish. [Confused] It just reminded me of the comedian I once heard say... "If America is the melting pot.... then melt damn it."

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 02-09-2009 04:09 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think for a theatre environment the smart applicant guages what the staff is wearing and dresses of equal or greater value.

If floor staff wears a polo and black pants, I think a button up with or without tie and black slacks would be just fine. If the floor staff wears vest and bow tie, I think a button up with tie is an absolute must.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-09-2009 05:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A theater is an entry-level job. As such, I think a tie is going overboard no matter what the uniform is. It seems... desperate.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-09-2009 11:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I don't really care too much how they're dressed when the kids come in to interview. As long as they're:

1. Clean
2. Not tattooed where I can see it
3. Not pierced anywhere on the face (except those little nose studs are OK)
4. Not toting a friend along

...they have a pretty good chance as long as they have a fun personality.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-10-2009 12:21 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ties are difficult. You don't want to outdress your interviewer. My standard interview clothes are a blue button up shirt tucked in to black slacks with a belt and black shoes. I usually leave the tie in the car. If you arrive and others are dressed up, the tie goes on. Otherwise it remains off. A lot of young guys don't know how to select a tie. It should incorporate colors that match your pants and shirt together. In my case it's a black tie with small blue stripes. Finally, I make sure I've shaved and that my hair looks sharp. Smile and be cheerful.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-10-2009 01:02 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually do mass hirings - 5-10 people at a time as needed to fill the staff. And I normally only hire in late October and late April. And then I usually have to hire 2-3 people at a shot a couple times a year.

About a month before I'm ready to start hiring I'll start asking my good employees if they have friends who are looking for a job. The word usually gets out and I get a decent stack of applications. I pre-screen the apps by asking my employees for their opinions, making sure the app is completely filled in, and any contact I've had with the person as a customer or when they've checked up on their app. For this reason, I usually only schedule 2-3 interviews more than what I intend to hire and I go in with the mindset that the job is theirs to lose.

When it comes to appearance I'm flexible as long as they are clean cut. I realize some of the kids may be coming directly from sports practice or something else.

When I conduct the interview, I'm more looking for what I don't like than what I do like. Most everyone is trying to give me the answers they think I want to hear and they all blur together to the point that hardly anyone ever stands out. What I'm looking for is people who are evasive, who seem to have a chip on their shoulder, who are not articulate, or otherwise give me a bad vibe.

I'm basically trying to get them in the door so I can actually see how they work. I've had enough experiences with people who started good and then became slackers, and vice versa, that I reserve judgment until they've been there a week or so.

Lets face it, most of them are high school kids and this is their first job. They may not have had much instruction in school about how to present yourself for an interview. And the work I'm asking them to do is very low level for minimum wage.

I also tend to shy away from some of the uber students because they often have many other activities and work availability is limited. Plus, I've seen many who can solve the quadratic equation calculate molarity, but can't count change. My ideal candidate is usually a B student who is maybe in a club or sport and will be heading to a community college or a local state university. It's also someone who has to work for their own things because their family can't afford to give them everything.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2009 06:25 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
3. Not pierced anywhere on the face (except those little nose studs are OK)
Why is a nose stud acceptable but nothing else is? I'm not saying that personally I do or don't like any particular type of piercing. Personally, I would tend to think a nose stud is OK, too. But if you're going to enforce a no-facial-piercings policy, how can you make an exception for one particular type just because you think it's ok?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-10-2009 07:44 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little nose stud is usually fairly inconspicuous. It's the bit hoops, balls, and spikes jutting from various parts of the face that get offensive. Facial piercings are a tough one for me because I generally think they look disgusting. But when you think about it, are they any worse than pierced ears - just in a different location.

We do have a clause in our dress code that we reserve the right to make the judgment on visible body piercings, visible tattoos, and artificial nails.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-10-2009 08:37 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We live in a casual society today....

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-10-2009 04:08 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck hiring anyone who DOESN'T have craploads of piercings and tattoos. We don't seem to be able to. Even our GM has a lip ring (which he removes at work). I wonder what makes people even want to get such piercings... they look like ass!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: