Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Actor James Whitmore RIP

Author Topic: Actor James Whitmore RIP
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-07-2009 11:06 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the last great actors leaves us....

(CNN) -- Craggy-faced film, television and stage actor James Whitmore has died at 87, the Los Angeles County, California, Sheriff's Department confirmed Saturday.

Actor James Whitmore, pictured in December 2006, had a 60-year career on stage, in films and on television.

Details of his death and funeral arrangements were not available.

Whitmore notably portrayed Harry Truman, Will Rogers and Theodore Roosevelt in one-man stage shows and created memorable characters in many movies and TV shows, including "The Twilight Zone."

According to entertainment Web site IMBd.com, Whitmore won a Tony award in 1948 for his gritty Broadway portrayal of an Army sergeant in "Command Decision," but was replaced by Van Johnson in the film version.

Whitmore won a Golden Globe and was nominated for an Oscar for his performance in the 1949 film "Battleground." He was nominated for a Best Actor Oscar in 1976 for "Give 'Em Hell, Harry," the film version of his one-man show about Truman.

The actor won an Emmy in 2000 for his performance as Raymond Oz in a three-episode arc on the ABC legal drama "The Practice," according to IMDb.com.

Movie fans may remember his subtle portrayal of aging prison inmate Brooks Hatlen in 1994's "The Shawshank Redemption" with Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman.

He played U.S. Navy Adm. William F. Halsey in the World War II epic "Tora! Tora! Tora!" and was an imperious ape in the 1968 classic "Planet of the Apes."

Whitmore looked natural in cowboy boots and hat, appearing in such TV series as "Bonanza," "The Virginian" and "Gunsmoke."

He also did commercials for Miracle-Gro plant foods.

|  IP: Logged

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2009 01:07 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well he will be missed!

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2009 03:25 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched him just last night in Jim Carrey's "The Majestic". He will indeed be missed. RIP James.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-07-2009 06:36 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed James Whitmore's performance in The Shawshank Redemption. That was simply a great film.

Through the 1970s and 1980s James Whitmore's face and voice was popping up in so many TV shows, movies and documentaries I watched in those years. I remember him doing the narration work on the IMAX film Hail Columbia!

Whitmore was a real Hollywood mainstay. He appeared in nearly 150 movies and TV shows.

Incidentally, there is a new Blu-ray version of The Shawshank Redemption in "digi-book" packaging. Video review sites say the image quality on that disc is pretty incredible. I think I'll have to get a copy.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-07-2009 11:18 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Thanks for the memories, James. [beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: