Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » NY Giants' Plaxico Burress is an Idiot (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: NY Giants' Plaxico Burress is an Idiot
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-30-2008 01:02 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone following NFL football or even sports in general has probably heard of the story of Plaxico Burress shooting himself in the right thigh at a New York City night club.

Various sports writers are trying to determine whether Burress' conceal carry permit obtained in Florida was still valid.

Unfortunately, just about any state granting conceal carry permits explicitly PROHIBITS anyone carrying a firearm into a bar, nightclub or any other business whose main income is through selling alcohol based drinks unless that person owns and operates that establishment and has not been drinking. Burress doesn't own the place where he fucking stupidly shot himself.

Let's complicate the situation further by noting that New York and New Jersey do NOT currently have reciprocal agreements to recognize carry permits from Florida or a number of other states.

What pisses me off really badly about this is Burress may end up walking with a slap on the wrist because he is an NFL star. The fucker should get charged and convicted of a FELONY. That's what would happen to any of us under the same circumstances.

Here's the verbiage from Oklahoma's Self Defense Act law book on this matter:

quote: Oklahoma Self Defense Act 2007
PENALTY FOR FIREARM IN LIQUOR ESTABLISHMENT

Any person who intentionally or knowingly carries on his or her person any
weapon in violation of Section 1272.1 of this title, shall, upon conviction, be
guilty of a felony. The fine for a violation of this section shall not exceed One
Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00).

Any person convicted of violating the provisions of this section after having
been issued a concealed handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the
Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 25 of this act, shall have the
license revoked by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation after a hearing
and determination that the person is in violation of Section 1272.1 of this title.

Honestly. What kind of stupid, fucking idiot has a handgun kept in such a condition where he's going to shoot himself in the thigh -and manage to do that stupid shit in a night club whose main business is selling alcohol-based drinks? What the mother fuck!?

This sort of shit is going to make things harder for law-abiding citizens who have a legitimate need for obtaining a conceal carry permit. I'm waiting on my permit approval right now. Scored perfect on the written exam -lots of common sense stuff. Did perfect on the live fire range stuff. Again, it's just following basic gun safety procedures and listening to range commands. Unfortunately, some prima-donna idiot like Burress could ruin things for a lot of other far more thoughtful people.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-30-2008 09:52 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fact he is a human being with a name like Plaxico should tell you everything you need to know. He was probably (and understandably) teased from a very early age. Consequently, he grew up stupid by defending his name instead of paying attention in class.

[Razz]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-30-2008 11:21 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. There's lots of people in this world with very strange names made up by their parents. Even regular names will get kids teased. My brother's first name is Toby, but he goes by his middle name, Warren, due to a lot of crap he got in grade school. Overall, it doesn't matter. Having a rough childhood doesn't entitle anyone to act like an idiot with a handgun.

Having a $35 million NFL contract shouldn't entitle anyone to act like he is above the law either. But that is what Plaxico Burress has done repeatedly. This handgun incident is just the latest event. The asshole needs to be punished pretty severely for the stupid chance he took. He could have shot someone else in that night club very easily. A fired bullet is going to travel until it hits something or someone. The latter is highly possible in a crowded night club.

This event makes me angry over the possibility that responsible gun owners will be punished for Burress' stupidity. Already this morning I'm hearing NFL commentators saying crap like "people shouldn't own handguns; they're just too dangerous."

I'd like to know specifically what kind of gun Burress was carrying. Obviously he had a round chambered and safety off -if the gun had an external safety. Burress certainly didn't care to use his primary safety: his trigger finger. Cardinal rule #3 in gun safety: you keep your booger hook off the bang button until you are absolutely ready to fire.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2008 05:33 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I like the name Plaxico. It sounds like a Transformer's name. Maybe he had the gun because he was worried about Decepticons or something.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2008 06:15 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well he did play for Michigan State [Big Grin]

This is so dumb its hard to believe that its even real.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-30-2008 06:34 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Schindler
Personally, I like the name Plaxico. It sounds like a Transformer's name. Maybe he had the gun because he was worried about Decepticons or something.
[rofl] HAHAHAA! That's funny! LOL!

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2008 07:35 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha I was going to make the Michigan State crack but Kurt beat me to it. No one I knew in High School who applied to MSU got rejected. They let ANYBODY in.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-30-2008 08:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Schindler
Personally, I like the name Plaxico. It sounds like a Transformer's name.
Or a behemoth oil company, or maybe a plastics firm.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2008 09:39 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever the case may be, I sincerely think that it's a cool name. And from now on, it'll always be associated with a guy who shot himself in the leg. Too bad.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2008 10:37 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, like getting "Moe Green'd" or "Marvin Gaye'd"..."He Plaxico'd himself!"

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2008 12:47 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Burress will hardly be receiving a slap on the wrist. He likely will be put on the "non-football injury" list by the Giants which will make him inactive for the remainder of the season, which means the Giants don't have to pay him. Money after the signing bonus isn't guaranteed in the NFL. The Giants could also go after a portion of any signing bonus since it was via an illegal activity he was injured. He has already had a history of trouble being fined on several occasions and this could very well be the last straw for him, effectively ending his career or at the very least dramatically reducing his value. That is all aside from the legal aspect now that he has turned himself in.

I agree he was being very, very stupid. The gun had fallen down into his pant leg when his friend and teammate noticed it and told him. He reached down and in an effort to get it, shot himself. He deserves to be injured, although apparenly his unjuries are minor.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-01-2008 03:00 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the Eagles will win this week.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2008 04:36 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New York City has experienced a lot of night club shootings lately, in which robbery, jealousy, gang hatred, drug deal or desire for revenge ends with bullets wounding innocent patrons. Liquor, a crowded dance floor where changing partners can proove deadly,and minor bumps can result in drunken idiots shooting wildly, leads to needless mahem.

The authorities are not amused. Mayor Bloomberg, although a keen sports fan, has publically called for the district attorney to apply the law to the fullest extent, which calls for a 3 1/2 year prison sentence for anyone convicted of carrying a loaded handgun in a public gathering.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-02-2008 07:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mayor Bloomberg is grandstanding.

Bloomberg is gung ho on having people prosecuted for violating NYC gun laws. Nothing wrong with that. However, he's not so keen on enforcing certain other laws. I won't get into specifics. The blunt point is this: he looks hypocritical as hell weighing in on this criminal case. He and any other politician would do best to keep his mouth shut so as not to give Burress a better leg to stand on for a motion to change the venue of his possible trial to another city or even another state.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-02-2008 07:31 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a headline on a paper in here in Philly that said that "Plaxicon" (his new Transformer name, in tribute to Mike Schindler) is pleading "Not Guilty" to the gun charge. Isn't the charge that he was carrying a gun in a place where he shouldn't have been? How does he make the case that he's not guilty of that when he walks into the court room with a limp?

Am I missing something?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: