Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "Pelham One Two Three" remake: Let's predict if they're going to ruin it! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Pelham One Two Three" remake: Let's predict if they're going to ruin it!
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-19-2008 02:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As many of you probably know, director Tony Scott ("Top Gun") is doing a remake of one of my all-time favorite movies, the 1974 thriller "The Taking of Pelham One Two Three." The story is about four men hijacking a New York subway train and demanding one million dollars ransom in one hour, otherwise they will kill one hostage for every minute the money is late.

The 1974 movie stars Walter Matthau, Robert Shaw and Jerry Stiller, among others. Matthau is a transit policeman who has to negotiate with the crooks; Robert Shaw is the leader of the gang.

The new one (coming out next year) has John Travolta playing the Robert Shaw role, with Denzel Washington in Walter Matthau's spot.

The remake has a lot going for it, but a red flag here and there is cropping up. Tony Scott directing means it will have plenty of action (although the original was thrilling without the need for much action). It'll be great to see Travolta playing a bad guy again. I'm not sure I can imagine Denzel Washington as a NYC transit cop, but who knows?

What will they screw up? Or will it be that elusive beast, the great remake? Let's make predictions and see how many come true.

Note: If you want to watch the original movie on your computer, it is available for streaming on hulu.com. Click here to watch it

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2008 03:22 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't this already remade as The Money Train?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-19-2008 03:30 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a 1998 TV movie remake.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-19-2008 04:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's little doubt the remake will draw crowds over the star power of Denzel Washington and John Travolta. My guess is it won't be a huge hit, but maybe moderately successful -perhaps even enough to torture us with a sequel or two.

I also think there's a very good chance critics will pan it. Tony Scott has really become overbearing in his directorial style in recent years. Any good performances in the movie will risk being smothered in an avalanche of movie trailer bang/whoosh style. Ridley Scott also loves the style over substance school of directing, but at least knows how to pull it back a few notches.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2008 04:50 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not optimistic. Like Mike, this too is one of my favorite films.
Another decent Walter Matthau film is Hopscotch, which came out in 1980.
And Charley Varrick.
Why won't these yahoos remake Vanishing Point? That film has so much ambiguity maybe Scott or his brother can clear it all up for us...(and I know Walter Matthau is NOT in that one.)

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-19-2008 05:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Gabel
There was a 1998 TV movie remake.
...which sucked.

Release date for the new remake is 7/31.

I just hope they don't foul up the ending. I can envision replacing the classic "Gesundheit!" with a huge explosion that kills the hijackers, or something.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2008 06:11 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they already ruined it with John Travolta as the bad guy. He was pretty laughable in the Punisher.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-19-2008 08:35 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was he in Battlefield Earth?
[Razz]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-19-2008 09:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was a pretty good bad guy in "Broken Arrow." ('96)

But there's no WAY he's going to match the evil-ness of Robert Shaw.

When he says "Open the door or I'll blow your head off" in this movie...you believe him.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-24-2008 11:12 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
If you want to watch the original movie on your computer, it is available for streaming
Thanks for that link, Mike. EXCELLENT show! I'd missed this picture the first time around as it never played my theatre.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2008 04:53 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James Westbrook
Why won't these yahoos remake Vanishing Point? That film has so much ambiguity maybe Scott or his brother can clear it all up for us...(and I know Walter Matthau is NOT in that one.)
There was a TV-movie remake of "Vanishing Point" with Viggo Mortensen as Kowalski! If you want the ambiguity cleared up, that should do it for ya, especially the ending. [puke]

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2008 02:49 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll see if I can find that one and check it out...
I think I've seen Vanishing Point 10 times now...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-20-2009 09:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well another hopeful sign that this won't suck:

It has been rated R for violence and pervasive language. So they're not watering it down to a PG-13 ... cool!

Although that is probably also an indicator it's not going to be a huge hit.

Anyone seen a trailer yet?

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2009 03:18 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Edited: Sorry...previous post answered my question.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-22-2009 10:36 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SPE says:

quote:

Release Date June 12, 2009
Run Time 95 mins
Rating TBD
Film Format Scope
Sound DTS/ SR/ SRD/ SDDS/ SDDS-6/ SDDS-8
Studio Columbia Pictures

SDDS-8?! (?!?!)

(And indeed, cara.org says R)

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: