Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Sound effects device

Author Topic: Sound effects device
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-29-2008 01:58 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I have a strange request.

Several years ago I knew this deejay who had a machine that could play sound efx at the push of a button. It had a keyboard with about 30 keys on it, and you loaded the efx as sound files from a computer. You would press the button, and the appropriate sound file would play instantly. You could put anything from a simple sound effect to a whole song on each key, as long as you didn't exceed the internal memory of the device.

Fast forward to now. I have another friend who has a magic show -- he tours fairs and such -- and would like to find one of these devices. I don't know what it's called -- have tried Googling it and looked at various dee-jay equipment sites but haven't found anything.

Anybody know what this thing is, or is there a better computer-based way to pull off the same thing?

|  IP: Logged

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2008 02:13 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your friend wants a Digital Effects Sampler. When I was a wedding DJ, we used them as a part of our sound system.

Akai MPC - 500 Sampling Music Production Station

The one listed above is alot nicer than the ones we used to have. Simply load your effects on a flash media card and injest it into the machine. You can them assign specific sounds to specific keys. This machine is probably more than what your magician friend wants... but at least you now know what to look for.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-29-2008 05:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Barry....right now he's using an ipod on his belt with a wireless transmitter. Works OK for general music in the show but he can't do "on the spot" sound effects.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-29-2008 08:45 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original sampling keyboard, The Synclavier II. You could have one for a mere couple-hundred thou..

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-29-2008 08:52 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the 360 Instant Replay. They are used for everything from radio stations to theme parks. Each button can be assigned an individual sound effect or song. There are multiple pages of buttons you can store as well. (I think the IR 1 has a limit on 999 files.) The real selling point is that the reaction time is incredibly fast. The machine doesn't take time to "think" about cuing the file. You press the button and the corresponding file plays instantly.

http://www.360systems.com/docs/prod_ir_main2.html

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-29-2008 10:23 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two of "Darwin's Laws" for magic:

#1 - The effect happens in the spectators' minds.

#28 - Anything that can act as misdirection at the right moment can act as a distraction at the wrong moment.

Taken from:

"Strong Magic: Creative Showmanship for the Close-up Magician"
by Darwin Ortiz

Copyright 1994

Published by Kaufman and Greenberg; Silver Spring, Maryland.

The idea of using an electronic sound effect to emphasize a magic trick is counter to Darwin's Law #1. The spectator sees the magician work and makes up his own mind what he THINKs has happened. An electronic sound effect that you think may emphasize the climax may very well be DE-emphasizing it.

If you need a sound effect to get the point across, you're probably doing the trick wrong or you're not communicating it well enough to the audience.

Having ANY kind of electronic gizmo on stage that is not part of the effect itself can become a distraction. This would break Darwin's Law #28.

Think about it this way.
If you trigger an electronically produced sound of an explosion just at the moment a vase full of flowers on the table bursts into flame, what will the audience think?

Will they think they ACTUALLY heard the flowers explode into flame? Or will they think you triggered some secret electronic gizmo which simultaneously set the flowers on fire and produced the sound?

I say they will think the latter.

Remember. This isn't about what YOU think. It's about what the audience thinks. A good magician, contrary to popular belief, doesn't manipulate props with secret trap doors in them... He manipulates the audience's MIND!

If you or your friend want to take magic seriously, I STRONGLY suggest you get that book and read it.

Any good magical supply house should have it. Any magic salesman should recognize that book simply by mention of author and title alone.

Are you going to be your friend's "Technical Advisor?"
You should probably read the book too, then. [thumbsup]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-29-2008 10:55 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy - All good points -- I used to dabble in magic tricks a little myself, although I never was a performer.

However, the sound effects would have nothing to do with the magic. They would be used for comic effect. (He does kids shows + stage shows.) I've sat through quite a few of his shows this year and there are a couple of spots just crying out for some kind of funny sound, plus there are a few of his larger illusions that he does with backing music so it would be alot easier to just press a button than to cue an iPod.

That 360 Instant Replay device sounds like exactly what we're looking for...thanks Mike.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-29-2008 11:47 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned magic while working at FAO Schwarz in Boston and I got good at it. One day, I got the bright idea to try street performing in Harvarad Square. My finale effect was the Houdini's old "Swallowing 100 Needles" trick.

I busqued for about one summer and gave up. While I liked performing for a dozen or so people in an intimate environment, working outside was just too damned hard! To this day, I keep my magic between myself and my family and friends. Take me to a bar and feed me enough beers and you might get me to do a couple tricks but that's the extent of what I do anymore.

That summer working Harvard Square taught me how hard performing in public really is but it really taught me to look at everything you do in your act with a jaundiced eye. What I thought was good was "so-so" in the audience's mind. Some of the things I didn't think were worth notice were really great in the public's eye.

One day I had finished up my gig in the Square and I was heading down the steps to the subway. I just lit a cigarette and was taking about my second drag when a cop, coming up the stairs opposite me hollered, "No smoking!"

So, being the wise-ass college student and magician I was, I did the old "Swallow the Lit Cigarette" trick. About 4 or 5 people who just saw my act across the street from HMV and didn't think much of it picked up on what I did and burst out into applause. Somebody stuck a dollar bill into my pouch! The cop yelled "Wise-ass!" and threatened to throw me out.

All day long, I was doing my "best stuff" and it turns out that a Bush League bar stunt is what the audience liked! That's when I learned that what I though was good magic and what an audience thinks is good are two different things.

I like the idea for having the remote control for the music cues. Properly done, good music can make a so-so magic act into a great one.

I suppose, if properly done, a sound effect for comic relief could work too.

Your friend is probably about 10 times the magician that I ever was. He's on stage while I'm the "Crazy Uncle" who snorts chopsticks up his nose while the nephews laugh. [Wink]

But the one thing I will always remember is to take a hard look at what you intend to do in your act and be ruthless about whether you really think you should keep it or not.

I'm only saying that you should do the same when you put electronic sound effects in your act too.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-30-2008 01:33 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All day long, I was doing my "best stuff" and it turns out that a Bush League bar stunt is what the audience liked!
Too true! Keith (the friend mentioned here) has a couple of illusions he's spent thousands of dollars on, but one thing called "The Vanishing Bandana" gets one of his best reactions and he spent something like $35 for it.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-30-2008 07:28 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do a trick around the house here. It's called the vanishing paycheck. [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: