Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » London After Midnight found?

Author Topic: London After Midnight found?
Frank Bruno
Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2008 02:43 AM      Profile for Frank Bruno   Email Frank Bruno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So this sounds like a fish story to me, but aintitcool.com is running a link to this. Their link doesn't work, but I found it anyway.

This guy claims to have handled an acetate print of Lon Chaney Srs London After Midnight in the 80s as part of the Turner collection, and to have been trying to hunt the print down since. Does any of this sound particularly sensible OR bullshit to anyone here?

I'm "lost film" geek enough to think it an interesting read anyway, even if the writer is a bit "me me me."

I wasn't aware of the Rick Schmidlin "reconstruction." Is that worth a watch? I did enjoy his attempt at Greed.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 07-28-2008 06:23 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your right about the me, me, me part of the article. But the Jefferson storage site did have problems over the years with tagging material. I've been to the Jefferson site during those days and to other film storage areas on the studio lots.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-28-2008 08:49 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Urban legend.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-28-2008 12:14 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of this picture until today. There are tons of lost movies, why is this one in particular so important?

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2008 12:24 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it was a very successful Lon Chaney film that did exist until modern times but was lost in a fire. I think the combination of the star power and they fact that some people actually screened this as late as the 50's have led to its prominence in lost film lore.

Gene Stavis
Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2008 12:48 PM      Profile for Gene Stavis   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Stavis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is famous because Forrest Ackerman made it so to several generations of people who were in love with horror films. From the reconstruction shown on TCM and from the personal recollections of historian Bill Everson, it was in fact a particularly mediocre film which was more notable for its comic relief than for its horror content. Lon Chaney's Sr.'s reputation has also made it sought-after, but in truth there are other lost Chaney films which sound far more interesting yet are totally unknown.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-28-2008 03:20 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the version of treasure island with chaney playing blind man Pew exist or is it lost

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-28-2008 05:33 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it was in fact a particularly mediocre film... there are other lost Chaney films which sound far more interesting
This is precisely the impression I got reading the story of the fellow who saw the print on the shelf. He went around flagging down people in the business who could do something with it, but it seemed like he was the only one who cared. That spoke volumes.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-30-2008 05:45 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Todd McCracken
Well it was a very successful Lon Chaney film that did exist until modern times but was lost in a fire. I think the combination of the star power and they fact that some people actually screened this as late as the 50's have led to its prominence in lost film lore.
Interesting that at the time of the vault fire the film was only 40 years old, and that was now 41 years ago, so the film has now been 'lost' for more than half its life.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2008 02:48 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading this article, I must stress to those who don't know better that this is a hoax, and a poor one at that. It was also done in very poor taste in the wake of the legitimate METROPOLIS discovery.

quote: Gordon McLeod
Is the version of treasure island with chaney playing blind man Pew exist or is it lost
Still lost.

Frank Bruno
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2008 01:37 PM      Profile for Frank Bruno   Email Frank Bruno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which article? the one I started with. Kind of figured as much. The one Leo posted admits to being a prank on the last page, (and the dvd cover looks REALLY photoshopped.)

Just a sucker for the lost-film mythos, I guess. It is a shame that far better things have supposedly been lost, but I still kind of hope they surface anyway. I mean, even the Day the Clown Cried might still be awful, remarkably or unremarkably so, but I'd still love to see it.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2008 02:59 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, add this to this list of empty hopes it seems. Bet they got allot of traffic on their board from this though...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: