Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Which has the lamer title, TR2N or ID4?

Author Topic: Which has the lamer title, TR2N or ID4?
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-27-2008 11:51 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TR2N - OK, the letter two looks nothing like the number O... errr... yeah. How exactly are you supposed to pronounce this? "Truh-toon"? The graphics in the movie have been updated many times over, you'd think the computer OS and CPU structure could have been updated to a filename standard that allows more than 4 characters.

ID4 - The original retard title. Are required to show ID to get into this movie? I don't understand. Ooooohhh..... the movie is called Independence Day and that day is July 4. How incredibly clever!!!! But wait. Where are the three prequels to this movie? I want to see ID1 to see how it all started. Actually, no I don't.

Am I missing any?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-28-2008 02:41 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well geez, I guess this just goes to show how stupid this sort of thing is, because I have no idea what TR2N means.

Oh well, I'm pretty sure I am not missing anything.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-28-2008 03:26 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(from Google search) TR2N = TRON2 .. sequel to Disney's 1982 sci-fi thriller TRON (be interesting on how this one will come out - will the MCP be reincarnated and take over the military along with ENCOM again and as always, TRON comes in and saves the day ?)

-Monte

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-28-2008 11:05 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never heard of TR2N either, until this thread.

I hate the idea of using a number where a letter is supposed to go. "SE7EN" started all this -- the movie's actual title was SEVEN, but since the creative person who built the title sequence used a 7 where the V would be, now everybody thinks that's the title.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-28-2008 05:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right, I forgot about SE7EN. I don't think I have ever seen it "spelled" like that in the official studio artwork... maybe on a DVD but that's it.

And yes, TR2N is indeed TRON 2 starring Jeff Bridges who became popular back in the cult classic "Iron Man".

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-28-2008 05:25 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The big question is whether "Lacey Underall" will return? [Razz]

FWIW, Cindy Morgan's been going around the country, cashing in on the perennial popularity of "Caddyshack", with appearances at golf tournaments. She hasn't aged badly at all, either... [Wink]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-28-2008 05:31 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But does she still want to be 'Tye'd' up? [Wink]

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2008 02:31 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about HSM3, also by Disney. The first 2 were Straight-to-DVD (or Disney Channel?) releases.
The standees caused several to ask "What's HSM?" "High School Musical". "Oh." The standees are stand-up life-size cutouts of the characters, paired off.
One of my ushers placed the life-sized cutout of Zohan with his hair dryer amongst them and it actually looked like he belonged there...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-29-2008 09:03 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Disney's marketing department is going a little far with this "TR2N" thing. However, it makes more logical sense than the "ID4" crap from the marketing of Independence Day. It still comes off as being fad-like.

People tend to read words as entire shapes or objects. People do not read words letter by letter. Even with something deliberately misspelled like "TR2N" or "SE7EN" your mind still fills in the blanks to recognize the intended word anyway. The whole texting phenomenon with all its strange abbreviations depends on this principle.

quote: Joe Redifer
That's right, I forgot about SE7EN. I don't think I have ever seen it "spelled" like that in the official studio artwork... maybe on a DVD but that's it.
"SE7EN" is flashed briefly on screen during the opening title sequence.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-29-2008 10:26 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
"SE7EN" is flashed briefly on screen during the opening title sequence.
I haven't seen the SEVEN title in quite a while but doesn't the V flicker to a 7 and change back a couple of times?

That's one of my all-time favorite title sequences. I watched that every night when we played the movie. Didn't care for the rest of the film as much (not my kind of film) but that title was cray-zee.

quote: Bobby Henderson
Even with something deliberately misspelled like "TR2N" or "SE7EN" your mind still fills in the blanks to recognize the intended word anyway.
True but it really only works with familiar words. "TR2N" made no sense to me at all when I first saw it. I wonder what kind of business it will do? I mean...who cares at this late date?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-30-2008 09:35 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, I vote ID4 as the lamer title. It never made sense from day one. At least TR2N sort of spells Tron...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-30-2008 09:51 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well now to be perfectly fair, "ID4" was not the title of that movie -- it was called Independence Day, they just used ID4 as the promotional gimmick. Whereas "TR2N" seems to be the title of that film. If so, by default it wins the lameness contest.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: