Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Solid State Hard Drives

Author Topic: Solid State Hard Drives
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-16-2008 12:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone use them or have any yet? Any reccomendations? I've read about getting 50% more battery life and near instant boot up and so on. Seems like there may be some advantage to them. I am interested in putting one in one of my service laptops and using it for the OS and programs where either a 32 or 64 gb would be just fine. Then use a seperate standard HD for data.

Thanks,
Mark

|  IP: Logged

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2008 01:05 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No experience in the laptop market, but have been seeing them in servers for about 6 months. Haven't seen any failures yet.

Server market (especially in blades) is all about size, and power consumption. Both of which are down for solid state drives.

Performance has appeared to be pretty good.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-16-2008 01:51 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem for solid state drives is the maximum number of write cycles.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-16-2008 02:49 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does the maximum number of cycles for a typical flash memory drive before failure compare with that of an HDD? Is the lifetime significantly shorter?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-16-2008 05:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the SS drives are claiming 2 Million hours to MTF and some are as high as 4 million so I don't know if the number of write cycles really pertains to these specs or not(at least in my lifetime!). I do know there is a max number of write cycles on some flash memory but many SS drive makers claim many decades of life writing 50GB a day every day... thats a really long time. I just thought that running my service setup laptop on one of these drives would be beneficial in many ways.

Edit: I ordered an OCZ Core series 64mb SSD from Tiger Direct. It'll be replacing the 80gb drive in my laptop but boy howdy I'll keep the original HD with me for a while till I see how reliability is. These droves which are available as alrge as 128gb seem to be a good deal and place to start with these. OCZ stuff gets really good reviews from those buying them. $269 isn't bad for this size SS drive and the read/write times are still really fast for one in this price range. The other interesting thing is that they don't require defragmentation.

Will report back after I install it.

Mark

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-17-2008 05:02 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read somewhere (can't remember where, sorry) that the average consumer grade HDD has a designed lifetime of seven years assuming average usage. In that case, using flash memory for the same application should be a non-issue if their makers are claiming decades.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-17-2008 09:37 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last thing I read said they are power hogs and reduce laptop battery life considerably. Apparently they take less power than a spinning HDD, but the HDD stops and goes into standby quite a bit of the time. The SSD takes less power but takes it all the time your laptop is on. For most users the balance favours the HDD, if you do stuff where the drive never spins down during use then the SSD wins.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-17-2008 10:09 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Most of the SS drives are claiming 2 Million hours to MTF and some are as high as 4 million
That's a ridiculous claim. 2 million hours = 228 years. Anything computer-related will be completely obsolete within less than 87,600 hours (ten years) whether it still works or not.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-17-2008 10:41 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Most of the SS drives are claiming 2 Million hours to MTF and some are as high as 4 million so I don't know if the number of write cycles really pertains to these specs or not
A write cycle is the number of times you write data to the disk. And flash drives generally have a max of 300,000 - 500,000 write cycles and SSDs usually have a max of 1-5 million. If you're writing stuff like log files (which you'll get a bunch of them in a server environment) you'll definitely exceed the write cycles far earlier than 2 million hours. And once you've exceeded your write cycles you cannot possibly write to the drive.

Also, the mean time to failure you're quoting can't be trusted as anything more than a company's hot air. Take a look at
this.

quote:
The MTTF (Mean Time to Failure) is not a guarantee or estimate of product life
In short: If the mean time to failure doesn't measure how long one can expect the product to last before it fails, then how exactly is that number actually the "mean time to failure"?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-17-2008 07:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris,

While I don't dispute the finite write life span of flash memory Super Talent for instance rates their 64gb SS drive at a life span of 350.7 years while doing 50gb per day of write/erase while they rate their flash memory modules at only 100K cycles. There is obviously a big difference either in the memory being used in the SS drives OR how it is being addressed during write time. Now I never write 50gb a day and 350 years is a long time. This would even last a long time in a server. I usually get a new laptop about every 3 to 4 years ssince they get pretty hammered. Interestingly though I've never had a laptop drive ever fail. Have had lots of 3.5" drives fail though. My main desire for a SSD is for increased performance, longer battery life, cooler operation, never having to defrag, and lack of noise... in that order.

Mark

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-31-2008 08:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that I'm truly impressed with the OCZ SSD!!! I did a fresh install of XP Pro and load time was just 21 minutes start to finish. Boot up time is on the order of 9 seconds but right now but XP's all thats on the drive. Im going to dump this install and just do a restore from my Windows Home Server backup file for this puter. That'll fill the driver about 40% so we'll see what happens then. All in all a winner but we'll see how the reliability aspect goes... 3 year warranty on this drive just in case.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-31-2008 11:45 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking at this site and it mentioned that these drives are only good for laptops made withing the last year and a half - being SATA drives. Thus, for my old DELL that I tagged in '05, I wont be able to take advantage of these drives.

(Mark must have a new laptop to do this conversion...)

..bummer on my end ..

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-01-2008 11:13 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, My Dell laptop is about 2 years old by now...

Mark

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-01-2008 04:44 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure how long SATA drives have been the norm on laptops, but they've been pretty much standard on full-size PCs since 03-04. My last laptop (bought September '05) was IDE; my current one (bought last month - the September '05 one was stolen) is SATA.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: