Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Top Ten Movie Villains (MovieFone) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Top Ten Movie Villains (MovieFone)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-15-2008 08:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is their list, voted on by ... uh, voters.

I have to think The Joker might move up a notch or two once the new bat-movie comes out, considering the advance reviews.

1: Lord Voldemort, Harry Potter - Ralph Fiennes

2: Darth Vader, Star Wars -James Earl Jones, Hayden Christensen

3. Wicked Witch Of The West, The Wizard Of Oz - Margaret Hamilton

4. Hannibal Lecter, The Silence Of The Lambs - Anthony Hopkins

5. Joker, The Dark Knight - Heath Ledger

6. Goldfinger, Goldfinger - Gert Frobe

7. Chigurh, No Country For Old Men - Javier Bardem

8. Hans Gruber, Die Hard - Alan Rickman

9: Max Cady, Cape Fear - Robert De Niro

10: Queen, Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs - Lucille LaVerne

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-15-2008 11:00 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YES! Heath Ledger as The Joker is the number 5 ALL TIME movie villian!

What do you mean the movie hasn't come out so how would I know? Why do I need to have seen the performance to answer an online poll?

[Roll Eyes]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-15-2008 11:02 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're just giving him sympathy because his ass croaked earlier this year.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-15-2008 11:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't really remember much of the Harry Potter movies, and I have mixed feelings about Darth Vader, but I think the evil-est villain is the Wicked Witch of the West from OZ. She never backed down; never gave up; never had any "comic relief" lines in the movie; she was pure evil all the way to the core. And her undoing in the movie was a total accident...usually, the villain gets beat up or shot or something after a huge battle and you can predict what's going to happen. The Witch got hers with a simple bucket of water which Dorothy threw to help somebody else (the Scarecrow). I still remember seeing that for the first time as a kid...I truly had no idea how they were going to get out of that mess.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-15-2008 11:27 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those lists are kooky since they're usually very stilted towards recent movies and forgetful of many movies of previous decades.

I think Darth Vader deserves to be on the top 10 list because he is arguably the most well known movie villain of the last 50 years. The Wicked Witch of the West is the other titan of movie villains since movies went to sound. So that's a well deserved mention.

Where's the vampire in Nosferatu? Or how about Lon Chaney in The Phantom of the Opera?

What about "Bruce the Shark" from Jaws? The creature from Alien is an iconoclastic figure.

I think the original Terminator is worthy of a best villains top ten list. Talk about an uncompromising, unforgiving, relentless bad guy. It's one of the things that made the original movie so great.

I don't think Lord Voldemort deserves to be on the list -in part because the character hasn't really taken shape with a single actor until the last two Harry Potter installments. Honestly, if Ralph Fiennes is going to be mentioned in a top ten villians list I think he should be mentioned for his brutal, chilling performance as Amon Goeth in Schindler's List.

Die Hard is one of my favorite action movies. And "Hans Gruber" was a villain everyone loved to hate. Alan Rickman's performance was great. But I'm just not sure if it's really "top 10" caliber.

I have the same feelings regarding Hannibal Lecter. The Silence of the Lambs stopped just shy of making the character a protagonist. Anthony Hopkins' Oscar winning performance was a lot of fun to watch. Even though he killed some guards and ate some of their guts he still helped out the good guys with his clues.

I'm not sure if Anton Chigurh is really a great movie villain. Javier Bardem put together a scary performance. But ultimately his character was just a symbol for the grim reaper or fate itself.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-16-2008 12:20 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What?!! Where's Ernst Stavros Blofeld?!

-
(Donald Pleasence)

Or Charles Gray... Or Telly Savalas, if you prefer.

Blofeld is such the quintessential villain that they saw fit to spoof him in Austin Powers!

This poll is nothing but a hack job!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-16-2008 01:14 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my other favorite villains is "Mr. Blue" played by Robert Shaw in "The Taking of Pelham One Two Three" (1974) which is being remade with Wesley Snipes as we speak. (I hope they don't screw it up too badly.)

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2008 05:18 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about Robert Mitchum as Max Cady in the original "Cape Fear"? DeNiro was great but thuggish. Mitchum was just so slimy and menacing.

And I always thought that Glinda the Good Witch was a greater villian than the WWW in "The Wizard of Oz." With the Wicked one, you knew where you stood, she was pure evil. Glinda on the other hand comes across all goody-two-shoes, and then puts Dorothy though hell. First she insults Dorothy by asking if she's a good witch or a bad witch (later saying that only bad witches are ugly). Nice dig. Then she tells her the only way to get home is to see the Wizard, all the while knowing about the clicking her heels bit. "Oh, but you wouldn't have believed me?" Y'know, if my house landed in a hallucination inhabited by Munchkins, I might be open to suggestion pretty much from the get-go.

With friends like that, who needs enemies?

[ 07-16-2008, 06:49 AM: Message edited by: Hillary Charles ]

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2008 06:05 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strother Martin, the prison captain in "Cool Hand Luke"... "What we have here is a failure to communicate". [Wink]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-16-2008 09:04 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess slasher movie villains don't count? Maybe because just saying "Top 10" is a little ambiguous.

If you put all of the movie villains of all time into a group and then pull out the "Top 10 Pansies" it would look a lot different than the "Top 10 Scariest" which would look different than the "Top 10 Diabolical" or the "Top 10 Most (or least) Intelligent" or the "Top 10 Most Cuddly".

Just saying "Top 10" is kind of meaningless.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2008 09:21 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Glenda is more evil than you mighn't think. Taking advantage of the death of the Witch Of The East, she steals the Witch Of The West's rightfull inheritance (the ruby slippers), sticks them on poor unsuspecting Dorthy, and then send Dorthy down the path that will evenutally lead to the murder of the Witch Of The West and the Wizard's departure from Oz. When the film is over, there is only one person with any command of magic left, Glenda, the evil which of the north!

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2008 11:01 AM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would make an argument for Ricardo Montalban as "Khan" Noonien Singh in Star Trek 2. He's really the only villain that got the best of Captain Kirk, used slimy earwigs for mind control, (this was the single greatest nightmare of my youth), and he killed Spock...

...Oh, his chest was iconic and ridiculous!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-16-2008 11:46 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Honestly, if Ralph Fiennes is going to be mentioned in a top ten villians list I think he should be mentioned for his brutal, chilling performance as Amon Goeth in Schindler's List.
And I'd say his performance in "Red Dragon" would also be more fitting in a list of villains than Voldemort.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2008 01:40 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, these lists have a major case of ADD.

Im partial to Lee Van Cleef as Angel Eyes in Il Buono, il brutto, il cattivo.
Reminds me of when Rolling Stone claimed Nirvana's nevermind as the
#1 rock ablum ever.. LOL!!!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-16-2008 01:54 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Todd McCracken
Yeah, these lists have a major case of ADD.
Since I actually do have ADD, I have to ask "What the hell are you talking about?"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: