Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Reels as tables!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Reels as tables!!
Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2008 01:49 PM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about anyone else, but it really pi**es me off to see perfectly good secondhand movie gear being bought-up to be used as decorative items for so-called 'home movie theatres'!

I've been busting my ass recently trying to get hold of some secondhand Goldberg spools without any success. Why? Well, they're all being bought-up and turned into bl**dy tables by some jackass! Now, what on earth would you want with a table made from a movie reel? Apart from anything else, the drinks would keep falling through the flange holes!!

It all seems like some sort of patronising insult to what 'real' (pardon the pun) cinema is about!

Keep movie reels where they belong (on projectors or rewind benches), not the walls of movie themed bars!

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-14-2008 01:54 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can see your point, yet I look at it as a introduction to the theatre world to those who haven't a clue on what we do or work with.

With the growing demand for D-cinema, there is going to be a glutton of these units that we work with that is no longer used. Thus, why not turn them into home collectables and curios to give tribute to the movie industry and attempt to give and keep that 'movie going experience' feeling in the homes?

It's simply not an item that you're going to find in any "Big Box" stores to hang on your walls, or place on the floor.

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2008 02:06 PM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trouble is, Monte, I (and I'm sure you too) are still working with this gear. We can't afford to pay the prices for new reels so are dependant on secondhand availability.

Turning these items into collectables is helping to fuel the decline of conventional 35mm cinemas like ours!

It's nice that we have some sort of appreciative outlet for 'all things cinema' but I'd rather that all that time and effort was put into maintaining working cinema in the first place!

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-14-2008 03:28 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the 35mm stuff is going to be useless in a lot less time than we want to admit. A piece of glass makes a reel a nice conversation piece table, they make interesting clocks too. I've given several broken reels away for those purposes.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-14-2008 03:46 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vididiots will pay a fortune for reels and.....ticket machines!!! Simply the market doing its job! Louis

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-14-2008 07:04 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love these people! I just sold a useless house reel for $30 on Ebay. It's a good alternative to throwing this stuff in the trash and getting nothing for it.

I actually would like to get an Automaticket machine at some point. If anyone (preferably in New England/NY/NJ) wants to get rid of one, I'll haul it away and maybe pay something for it.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-14-2008 07:39 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott: find an old theatre and buy the Automaticket cheap. I have been getting $1100 for one unit in a case that works! (Video people will buy anything that is expensive and authentic.) Sorry for off topic. Louis

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-14-2008 08:00 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have sold over 50 Goldberg cast reels as displays....14 have been welded into a hand rail located in a lobby of a performing arts center [Razz] I am also renting reels to festivals since mine are in better condition that some of the well used [bs] borrowed from local multiplexes.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-14-2008 09:30 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy,

Believe it or not...Goldberg sells the reels as Coffee Tables right from the factory!

Goldberg is going to try and sell their products in any fashion they can...they could care less how they are used so long as people buy them.

They have golden cast reels that are specifically for decoration, "tins" to be used for candy or other gift items and I'd wager that they sell more metal shipping reels for wall decorations than for holding film.

I joke with Goldberg that we are probably their best dealer for selling reels that are actually used to show film! We still sell new 16, 35 and 70mm reels all the time. All of ours are for showing movies (or making them up/breaking them down). No ornimintations...but I'd sell em for that if there was a knock at the door for them!

Steve

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 07-15-2008 02:03 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, you probably won't like this, but here it is anyway: [Big Grin]

-

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2008 03:18 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I can't wait for twenty years time when they replace all those reels with hard disks!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-15-2008 05:06 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty cool, Paul - at least they're being used for good use instead of being degraded down to 'anti-flop' spacer reels that TECH uses in their print shipments.

Only thing I look for when I get TECH prints is finding the real old, heavy duty shipping reels that have actual date and studio stamping on the flanges - like last year, a reel came in with "MGM" 9-37 stamped on the flange...and I forgot to grab that one as a collector item.

Using metal shipping reels is a far thing of the past now since everything is mounted on cores with snap together reel flanges - here in the Americas.

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2008 08:09 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over here in the UK we would pay the equivalent of over 650 US dollars for a 24" floating hub 35mm Golberg (new)! That's why I'm always on the look-out for secondhand ones.

Because the few inexpensive ones I see, are now being turned into peculiar keepsakes, I'm now really struggling!

I'm not too surprised, Steve, that Goldberg are now dealing directly with the 'table making' market. As far as they're concerned, I suppose, it's just another outlet!

I suppose I should be getting-out all our old 2000ft spools and buying some gold or silver spray paint! Genuine gold reels for sale anyone?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-15-2008 09:12 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$650USD for a Goldberg 26" floating reel? Really? How do I get in on that racket?

You must have killer duties!

Steve

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2008 03:19 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Steve, welcome to Rip Off Britain!

I was slightly inaccurate in quoting over 650 USD for a 26" reel. I was actually refering to a 28" reel!

UK price for above item 295.00 UK Pounds plus VAT (Value Added Tax at 17.5%). This makes a total of 346.00 UK Pounds! Convert this to USD and you get a grand total of 694.00 USD!

Even allowing for duties and shipping, this is some mark-up!

A lot of the time, the prices quoted in the US (in USD, of course) translate, over here, directly into the same figures in UK pounds! Now, I'm no mathematician but something is going wrong here! An item which costs 40.00 USD in the US should not be marked-up as costing 40.00 UK Pounds in the UK!! What has happened to the exchange rate?

Anyway, to cut a long story short, if you roughly double the prices you are paying for items over in the US, you get an idea of what we are paying here - certainly, at least, for Goldberg reels!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: