Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Disney Vacation Club

Author Topic: Disney Vacation Club
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-14-2008 11:39 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anybody here a member of the Disney Vacation Club?

I have a friend who is seriously considering it and asked me to look at the material he got and see if I could find any "pitfalls" to joining it. I did quite a bit of reading on it, and while it seems like a good deal for the consumer, it looks to me like a frickin' money making machine for Disney. Basically they are cashing in on people's love for Disney, with their slogan "own a piece of the magic." (When basically all you really own is a contract.)

The way it works is, you buy in by paying a hefty amount up front - around $17,000 minimum - and then you "own" a real estate interest in one of the D.V.C. resorts. You receive a yearly allotment of points, which you can use toward stays in the various D.V.C. resorts (not just your "home" resort).

You also pay annual dues, minimum about $850 (based on how many points you get per year). Your membership is for a finite period of time - current new memberships expire in 2053 - but if you take a vacation every year or every two years, you wind up spending about half of what you would normally spend for the deluxe-type accomodations. There are also hundreds of other destinations worldwide you can visit on your points - you don't have to just use them on Disney resorts. And, if you decide not to use your points in a given year you can "rent" them out to other people.

Of course the down-side is, you still have to pay for such things as theme park tickets, food, souvenirs, rental car and travel. And there's also the evil corporate greed side of things, which tells me (after doing some math) that Disney would probably make MORE money from a person joining the club than they would if people stayed in the same accomodations and just paid yearly. After all, they are getting the money itself, plus the interest (if you finance through them), plus the investment income they would make on the upfront money. Still, the club does save money for the consumer in terms of the lodging.

I figured I would turn to the smartest people on the internet - Film-Techers - and see if you guys had any thoughts, recommendations or caveats.

|  IP: Logged

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2008 02:59 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's just like any other time share. I've never understood why anybody would buy one. They make them sound like investments but they are not as the value drops.

It may work out better economically in some circumstances but what if one year you can't afford a vacation? Sucks to be you. You have to pay anyway.

Robert Crabtree
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2008 06:42 PM      Profile for Robert Crabtree   Email Robert Crabtree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like any other membership service, where frequent usage is the only way that members will save any money. While in the pursuit of saving that 50, 100 dollars, it's pretty certain you'll have spent an extra 500.

Unless your friend makes quarterly, week-long visits, I'd suggest going with something like a year-round pass, with the Park-Hopper premium. I *believe* the year-long passholders get special perks, like room discounts.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-14-2008 09:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The vacation club, IS, by and large a rather good deal and about as good a time-share investment you can make...and no we don't have one but we have looked into it.

Like any time-share, there is the upfront cost and the annual dues...which you pretty much determine. In essence, you purchase points on a yearly basis. The points don't go away. So if you don't go on a vacation (or a "Disney Vacation"), then you can "bank" them and use them the following year(s) for a super-vacation.

You can always increase your points purchase but it is a one-way street...you can't reduce your points purchase.

If you stay in your time-share then you are going to be in a villa type situation. As for food...you will have a full kitchen and such...including laundry so most Vaction Club people buy regular food and eat in their Villa...which is yet another savings. Remember, this sort of thing caters to the habitual Disney drone...so they will have already eaten at most any of of the restaurants in the theme parks.

Other things that make this sort of time-share decent is that you can sell it and there is indeed a resell market if you decide you want to get out from under it. You can also transfer it (like to a family member in a will).

The thing is...if you are going to Disney a lot...then it is going to be your cheapest way to do it, period.

So why don't we join....well...I just have a problem committing to giving Disney a sizable chunck of our money every year for a long time. It just feels wrong.

We have had annual passes for quite some time now. With ShowEast being in Orlando...it kinda has guaranteed that we would go there every year. However this is the last Orlando ShowEast....(hello Miami!).

The basic deal on the annual pass is that the break-even point is on the 7th day...and note, only one person need have the annual pass to get the deals on the rooms and be offered the other perks. So, if you plan on being in the theme parks 7 or mor days in a calendar year...then seriously consider the annual pass over the other ticking options. You can go most anywhere and have free parking...even if you are not staying "on property." The discounts offered for annual pass holders for lodging can be rather substantial (up to 40% off) but often you get less than 90-days notice on when the deals are available. At ShowEast, we typically stay at Disney for prices more resembling economy motels. Last summer they had a killer deal in July...my wife and I took a weekend down there on the cheap with the annual pass (and no additional costs for getting into the parks due to the passes)...it was probably the most relaxing "vacation" I've had in years (and it was just a 3-day weekend).

But back on topic...the Vacation Club...if your friend is serious about committing to a long term relationship with giving the mouse a lot of money...then it is going to be the cheapest way to do that.

Steve

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2008 09:42 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most times with a time share, the best idea is not to buy directly from the company (Disney in this case). Instead, buy from someone who has already bought a timeshare and is ready to sell. Often times there are realtors who specialize in this.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: