Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Variations in Cable vs Broadcast Audio

Author Topic: Variations in Cable vs Broadcast Audio
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-14-2008 12:43 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was quite awhile before I subscribed to CableVision, the cable franchise here in Brooklyn, mainly because I had a direct line-of-sight view of the World Trade Center & the transmitter antenna and now the Empire State Bldg where they transmit from presently. That's nearly like having a hard wire from the TV studios direct to my TV receiver. Perfect, ghost-less pictures....no need for cable. But I finally sucummed to sign up for cable service recently mainly because my lady has stuff she wants to see on the women's cable channels.

But here's the question -- when I had broadcast, the audio levels did go up slightly on commercials, but not so much as to make me get annoyed at the increase. With cable, on the other hand, the variation has become so dramatic that it makes us run for the remote. With broadcast it wasn't nearly as bad. How can this be?

Why would the cable transmission differ from what the broadcast studio sending it out? It it manipulated by the cable company? And if so, to what end? It seems illogical to me that there would be any incentive at all for the cable company to raise the volume levels of commercials in network or local NY station transmissions, but there is absolutely no doubt that this is what is happening.

Granted, I haven't played a cable reception simultaneously with the same broadcast reception, to measure this differential, but I certainly know from observation that as soon as I changed to cable, this dramatic difference was real and immediately apparent.

Has anyone else experienced this volume increase that I find unique to cable retransmission of network broadcasts? If so, how do you think this is accomplished and more importantly, why?

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-14-2008 01:10 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was once told it was because the sound in commercials isn't compressed/limited but the programs are.

However, it doesn't make sense to me that cable companies would compress more or less than over the air broadcasters. [Shrug]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-14-2008 02:03 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....or that they would change the compression for only certain parts of the broadcast. That would mean they are actively manipulating the audio manually, which also wouldn't make sense as that would cost them MONEY (technician's time).

UNLESS.....they are inserting their own commercials, much like local stations do to the network feeds. Although I thought it was illegal for cable companies to alter the originating stations' feeds in any way.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-14-2008 02:51 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get in the habit of muting ALL commercials, broadcast or cable like I do.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-14-2008 06:30 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cable boys routinely add their own commercials to all channels. Louis

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2008 06:47 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Content providers insert a digital "cue" to activate ad insertion equipment at the local head end. What I find peculiar is some national commercials will blow you away with volume while others in the same program feed are at normal levels. Joe says it -- mute all commercials.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-14-2008 07:22 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The program material is Dolby, the spots aren't. [Razz]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-14-2008 08:28 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're getting HD over digital cable or satellite some of the commercials actually can be Dolby Digital 5.1. It's especially odd if the program is 2.0 channel stereo and then a commercial or network ID spot jumps in with 5.1 audio. There may be a serious volume jump as well. The Universal HD and MHD channels can be annoying for how loud their network ID spots can be versus the program that is playing.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2008 10:35 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a DVR and skip all the commercials!

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2008 12:48 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they're channels you're paying for, there shouldn't be ANY commercials!

Wonder if Cablevision still has this channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIbzZl41OQo

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 07-14-2008 01:40 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In theaters we deal with the same issue when playing loud trailers.

TV spots these days are recorded with lots of compression to keep all of the signal swings right up against the limit. That's why many of them sound so loud yet on a VU meter the peaks are no different from the program levels. The difference between the highest and lowest signal levels in a typical TV spot is much less (even the quiet moments are high) than you'll find a typical program track (the quiet moments are much lower).

Could also be that the stations are using level-normalizing only on the feed to the OTA transmitter, and not on the feed to the cable company.

With an FM transmitter you want as consistent a modulation signal as possible, since modulation level affects ability to detect the signal, especially in the fringe areas. With consistent modulation you have consistent range. And with consistent range you reach more people and can charge more for your air time. So some sort of normalizing and limiting is used with FM transmitters. No such technical issue exists with cable distribution, since there is no fringe area/distance to worry about - you either have adequate full-quieting signal or you don't.

In the 'Vegas market there are substantial differences not only between each OTA station's network vs local feeds, but between the various stations themselves (we're talkin' OTA here, I still refuse to pay a cable company for TV). As you all say, very annoying. I too say just get a PVR or DVR and zip-squeal through the commercials. Or install a gated expander in your audio chain.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-15-2008 11:18 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Mayer
Could also be that the stations are using level-normalizing only on the feed to the OTA transmitter, and not on the feed to the cable company.
Exactly. It's common now that cable and satellite providers are getting direct feeds from the stations instead of picking them up over the air, and in the process bypassing the station's audio processing at the transmitter.

So compression that would be going on at the transmission site for your local OTA's isn't necessarily being passed through to your cable company.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 07-16-2008 06:50 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
Exactly. It's common now that cable and satellite providers are getting direct feeds from the stations instead of picking them up over the air, and in the process bypassing the station's audio processing at the transmitter.

+1 on this.

When I worked for a fox station up here, the fiber feeds to the cable companies were pre-optimod feeds straight out of the router. Often times cable providers dond add any processing so if the news board-op isnt watching what they're doing (always the case) you wind up clipping the front end of the fiber modulators and also the in/out circuitry in the router. we did have control of our audio levels on tape program playback, which was set with bars and tone, but commercials were set when they are encoded into the HDD playback video server. Snoozing operators here to.Network programming also bypassed all of our controls so whatever level they sent wound up on air. I had to fix a spot that went to air with one channel out of phase. In studio monitoring was mono luckily, plus the console metering has 180 degree lights that light up with screwed audio.

Sorry for the rant...

JJ

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-16-2008 07:02 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For years....I had an old CBS Labs Stereo Audimax on the TV feed into my stereo. No level changes there!!! (It wouldn't dare!!)Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: