Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Finding Classics on the Big Screen (Page 1)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15 

Author Topic: Finding Classics on the Big Screen
Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2008 10:47 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've created a new table at my blog where I list screenings of classic films. You can sort by state, city, theatre, film, etc.

Back on the Big Screen

It's a little clunky, but it works, and as far as I know, there isn't anything else like it on the interwebs.

I thought I'd share in case anyone here is interested.

And if you've got classics screenings at your theatre, send me a link and I'll add them asap.

Cheers,
Geoff

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-11-2008 07:18 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter Apruzzese programmes a regular series od classic films at the Lafayette in Suffern, NY. They have stopped for the Summer, but a new season starts in September. I'm sure if you asked him he would let you publish details on your site. His contact details are here

I don't know what's happening at the Loew's Jersey, I think they have also stopped for the Summer. At least two of the projectionists from there, including Mitchell Dvoskin are with us here, so they should know.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2008 08:30 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ohio Theatre in Columbus, OH is currently screening its summer classic film series. Details are here.

Also check the website for the Wexner Center for the Arts at Ohio State University. They have some outdoor screenings coming up, and they are also running a Stanley Kubrick retrospective. Plans are in the works for a David Lean series this fall.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2008 12:49 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Landmark Loews Jersey has indeed stopped running film for the summer (no air conditioning yet). We will resume our classic film series sometime in mid to late September.

The Lafayette Theatre, which I have no connection with other than being a friend of Pete's, has also stopped running classic for the summer. They too will resume in the fall. You can contact Pete though the link Stephen provided.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2008 12:56 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor, Michigan does a number of classics. It is an historic movie palace with excellent presentation, and it makes you feel good to give them money.

The Detroit Film Theatre is part of Detroit's world class art museum, the Detroit Institute of Arts, and also has a good mix of contemporary art films and classics. I saw Jean-Luc Godard's Contempt there this past weekend.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-11-2008 02:37 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the Boston area, the Brattle Theatre and the Harvard Film Archive both program (mostly) older films.

The Coolidge Corner theatre, Museum of Fine Arts, and ICA also regularly program older films as well as current titles.

A number of other venues in this area will show repertory titles on an irregular basis.

Also in New England, the Cinestudio in Hartford, CT. features an impressive program of both older and newer titles (mostly newer).

Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2008 06:05 PM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our restored movie palace (www.palacewaterbury.com) will start to show the classics this fall. first showing will be the all time great "Cinema Paradiso".

lou

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-11-2008 06:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please note, there is only one Spring in Silver Spring, MD.

Steve

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-11-2008 08:14 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Belloisy
Our restored movie palace (www.palacewaterbury.com) will start to show the classics this fall. first showing will be the all time great "Cinema Paradiso".
The Rialto Arts Cinema, in Ridgefield Park, NJ, just stopped showing the classics (along with anything else). The last showing was "Cinema Paradiso".

[Wink]

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2008 12:35 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Cinema Paradiso"? C'mon guys. How can you call that a classic? It's only 20 years old. "Singing In The Rain", now THAT'S a classic.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-12-2008 01:53 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was an instant classic.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-12-2008 04:00 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's happened to the Union County Arts Center in Rahway, NJ, where Bernie Anderson Jr. was projecting a few years ago? They now seem to have added the word 'Performing' to their name, but there is no mention of film anywhere in their programme. There's also no mention of film equipment in the technical specification of the theatre, other than one set of lines being used for 'movie screen'. have they gone to all live events now? Are they still equipped to show film in the future in they want to?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-12-2008 05:08 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Egyptain Theatre - Boise, Idaho , being an independent theatre in this capital city of the state, the Egyptain has been developing the reputation of doing various presentations on stage and screen.

This last month, inbetween first run engagements, a series of classic movies has been playin on its big screen - including 'Gone with the Wind' at the present moment.

..and includes the available presentation of 70mm - being as of yet, the only 70mm house in the entire state.

-Monte

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-12-2008 07:29 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping this is something we can do at the Everett when we get the ceiling rebuilt and get back on our feet.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2008 03:24 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i maintain a site that tries to list all rep film in the sf bay area: Bay Area Film Calendar.

please do add anything on it to your table.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: